PS3

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:28 pm

Probably because all the Xbox's broke, (like mine), and people went and bought new ones to finish their game of Jade Empire.(like me)
Last edited by built-to-spill on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Steve Fletcher

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:28 pm

Well, if you're talking about units sold, gamecube lost by a long shot.
Steve Fletcher

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:30 pm

built-to-spill wrote:The whole idea of the PS3 is really aggrivating, it will be more expensive than a computer that can do so many more things.
Take a look at the specs and try to match a computer to the same specs.

built-to-spill wrote:To produce a game that will take advantage of every aspect of what the PS3, not only will take more technology than we currently have, but will be so costly that game prices will soar.

Take a look at Fight Night Round 3 PS3 videos and that is not utilizing every aspect of the PS3. It still blows all other systems out of the water graphics wise. And we have the technology, really the thing is, it leaves room for growth, instead of setting limitations, and trust me.... that's what game developers want
built-to-spill wrote:I'm going to stear clear of the PS3 and 360, until the PS4 and the 720 come out so then they may be affordable to those who don't just have their parents buy one for them.
I find that a bit offensive because I have never had my parents buy me any system, the first one that I ever had was a N64 and I bought that with my own money when I was 15.
built-to-spill wrote:My firm belief is that the PS3 will not be as succesfull in the long run as the 360.
I really think you should look into it a little more carefully... There are countless advantages of the PS3 over XBOX360. Just for one, let's talk about the final fantasy series... the fanbase for that alone dwarfs Halo's. Granted they're not all prepubescent teens that whine and cry when they lose, but is that a bad thing? :D. Take a loot at graphics, take a look at future games and capabilities... XBox360 does not have nearly as much room to grow as the PS3. Storage itself is an issue here, at the current moment, the XBox 360 supports dual-layer DVDs which can hold up to 9 gigabytes of data; however, the PS3's blu-ray disc can hold up to 50 gigabytes of data... that's incomparably superior.

Now some may say: Oh we'll never have any games that need that much memory.... Well 6 years ago I remember I freaked out when I had to install a game that took 300 megabytes of hard drive space... alot of games for PC are coming out on DVD discs now instead of 4 CD-roms. This is progress and I know that if given the choice, developers will find a way to fill the entire blu-ray disc.

Processor:

Xbox360 uses a multicore PPC CPU (which actually I though PPC was getting dropped completely so I'm a little surprised at it) This is a card which is good, but really could be matched on the market.

PS3 uses the brand new Cell Processor which is also PPC based, can not be purchased on the market and its advantages are fairly clear.

Compare here:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/ ... x360-2.ars
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/cell-1.ars

Here is a good site that compares both of them
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1985-x-x-x
((edit)Note: you may say the memory is different, but if you notice, they have the same amount but PS3 is dedicated not shared (advantage because you don't have to worry about managing it between two things))

now tell me that the Xbox will do better :D

EDIT:
sam wrote:Also Zelda: Twilight Princess will be a Revolution title I'm almost certain of it. First it was pushed back to March when the Revolution was rumored to be released. Now it's pushed back again with promised "Revolution functionality" added in.... Next it will be a Revolution Title just like they did with Cubivore, Dinosaur Planet & Animal Forest.
That makes me a sad panda :(
(and I know gamecube didn't lose, they just appeal to a different audience, they don't have quite the same style, granted some of their games are, but really people think mario when they hear nintendo :D )
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:53 pm

Well, i hate to burst your, we copied our font from the cover of Spiderman 2, bubble. Industry analysts agree 100% with, me. I read it in an issue of GI. You have to remember that graphics and limitations of programming do not determine which system will be more popular.

Also, I'm reffering to domestic popularity, not worldwide popularity.

I'm not saying the PS3 is a bad system, i'm just saying that I will take innovative gameplay and unique games over graphics anyday.

Edit: I've heard the PS3 bottlenecks, which will lead to a choppy framerate. Also, you didn't listen to what i was saying, i'm sure technology will catch up with the PS3, i'm just trying to say, how much money are we willing to pay for updated graphics. I'd rather see new games with new ideas than the next action shooter sequel. Unfortunatly most game developers will go with what sells which is sequels and first person shooters. Sometimes when a company goes against the grain and offers a game at a reasonable price while sacrificing better graphics i.e. NFL 2K5, some buttmunch, (EA games) comes along and buys the rights to the NFL. All this goes to re-estate my feeling that nintendo is the way to go, because nintendo has enough money to take risks and enough genious to (sometimes) pull them off. Plus they have the best first party games.

That, having your parents buying it for you thing wasn't directed at you. Sorry, i'm not trying to be a jerk.
Steve Fletcher

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:06 pm

built-to-spill wrote:Well, i hate to burst your, we copied our font from the cover of Spiderman 2, bubble.
lol :lol:
built-to-spill wrote:Industry analysts agree 100% with, me. I read it in an issue of GI. You have to remember that graphics and limitations of programming do not determine which system will be more popular.
And Industry analysts don't always determind which system will be more popular ;). I know the XBox360 will be good, but technically PS3 is superior.
Also, I'm reffering to domestic popularity, not worldwide popularity
ok that makes alot more sense then, but I still think that in the US, PS3 and XBox360 will split (that is until Nintendo revolution comes along (saying that so sam doesn't get upset :D))
built-to-spill wrote:I'm not saying the PS3 is a bad system, i'm just saying that I will take innovative gameplay and unique games over graphics anyday.

Edit: The PS3 bottlenecks, so it'll probly be kinda choppy.
First off, I don't really consider the xbox to have that innovative of gameplay, Nintendo really seems to be the one to pioneer innovation. (I say this because all xbox games tend to be fairly similar.) But yes innovative gamplay is the most imporant thing in the world. Take Katamari damacy for example, the game was so original and almost everyone loved it even if it didn't have outstanding graphics.

But with the bottlenecking, well it is still being worked on remember, they won't release it if it's a huge problem... it'll just turn into HL2
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:12 pm

Yeah, i agree with you about sony being more innovative than microsoft. I was referring to nintendo when i said that. The only innovative thing microsoft did was xbox live, which really wasn't that innovative now that i think about it.

Don't think I'm not excited to see what the PS3 can do and what squareenix will do with it, i just think they went overboard.
Steve Fletcher

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:18 pm

the xbox 360 cpu is also a custom cpu core with it's own special functions to aid in the parallel processing it does with the gpu. very little information is out on it other than that it is a ppc970 based cpu.

the cell is publically available, they have hdtvs that run off cell processors on the market. they're working on making cell servers as well. the cell processor isn't really a consumer marketable chip. It's made for vector processing not assembly crunching.
insert code compile execute return

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:40 pm

oh yeah, and isn't the ps3 only compatible with hdtvs? WEAK!! now not only do you have to spend $500 on a system you have to buy a $500 tv as well, or a converter. Either way it's weak.
Steve Fletcher

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:55 pm

what? no! it supports sdtv resolutions as well

now that would be silly.

hdtv is not the future, as much as the government and FTC want you to think it is. it's just a set of new standards to screw you out of the most amount of money possible. We went from having maybe 3 standards on a tv to needing a whole page dedicated to licensing of drmed components and hardware in manuals.

FUCKING RETARDED!!

there really isn't a reason to go for such retardedly high resolutions right now, we still have such slow processing for 3d userspace that if you stretch the resolution to massive sizes it just slows everything down. 480p is still sufficient in my opinion. Maybe 720p but 1080i is just retarded.

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:03 pm

sam wrote:you guys are retarded.

NINTENDO DID NOT LOSE THE LAST CONSOLE RACE...

Also Zelda: Twilight Princess will be a Revolution title I'm almost certain of it. First it was pushed back to March when the Revolution was rumored to be released. Now it's pushed back again with promised "Revolution functionality" added in.... Next it will be a Revolution Title just like they did with Cubivore, Dinosaur Planet & Animal Forest.
Dear god of Triscut crackers...i do belive that you are 99% incorrect in saying that its a NR title...Ive already pre-ordered it and its on display as a NGC title...but it would be deeply sorrowful if your right...but IMHO it seems highly doughtful...and Kevin if ya might wanna borrow TP ya can...when im done.. :)...for the 30th time ;)

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:09 pm

I'm going to wait a year or two, when all the systems drop in price and come packaged with games at Sam's Club. By that time I'll just pick the one that has the most games I want at discounted prices. :P

TheVaulting1
Standard
Standard

Post by TheVaulting1 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:40 am

I wouldnt mind taking out a small loan for a PS3

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:42 am

ps3 will suck.

el revolutione 4 life

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:14 am

You guys can bitch about which one's superior all day and not get anywhere. It just comes down to which one you enjoy playing, and what kind of games you favor.
There is no 'superior' console, it's just a big matter of opinion. They're games, people. Not political candidates.

Yeah, I despise Xbox/360. Why? I didn't find many of the games to be entertaining. You can have all the horsepower under the hood you want, but it doesn't mean shit if you don't like driving it.

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:31 am

i like ps3 because once the linux kit comes out it can replace my pc

i like the revolution because it's something new and fresh...i imagine it to have the same effect on the game industry that nintendo 64 had. Before mario 64 came out 3d games were.... :oops:

check out king's field for psx it was one of the first 3d rpgs and it's....yeah..

Yes, I understand TP is listed as a Cube title but Nintendo has a known history of pulling moves like these. Personally I'd rather see it on the Revolution just because I've always wanted a Captain-N-esque Zelda where 1 hand is the shield and the other is the sword in a first person fighter...that would be the shit for the arrows as well.