want to learn how to play drums? read this

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:36 am

I do play drums so yes I do know what I am talking about. If you don't think you can do tripplets in 4/4 time you are wrong. If you haven't heard of inverted flam taps that is because you don't even know your rudiments. When I was talking about speed I was talking about site reading basic patterns and the like. I doubt you even play jazz, and if you do have you ever listened to Art Blakey? Yes, you can play slow, but if you have some slow ass rock song I can assure you that it will suck.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:42 am

hascoolnickname wrote:I do play drums so yes I do have credibility. If you don't think you can do tripplets in 4/4 time you are wrong. If you haven't heard of inverted flam taps that is because you don't even know your rudiments. I doubt you even play jazz, and if you do have you ever listened to Art Blakey?
No, I haven't. ever heard George Benson?

And seriously, you got owned on the speed thing. I don't know where the hell you got that from. I don't care if you play drums, that doesn't give you credibility.

And no, you can't. 4/4 time is 4/4 TIME. Aka 1-2-3-4.
4/4 time = 1-2-3-4
triplets = 1--2--3

etc.

you can do the hi-hat in 4/4 time and the snare in triplets but triplets in 4/4 time isn't what you call it at all.

Also, some of the best drummers in the world don't do shit on songs. Look at Ringo of the beatles. He did very light drums in 95% of his songs.. then he puts out a song that to this day, cannot and has not ever been tabbed because of it's absolute bullshit on the drums. (forgot the name but i've heard it before and it's insane.)

meaning, every song you play doesn't have to have you going batshit. good drummers know when to hold back. apparently, you don't.

and yeah, i know my rudiments. I also know inverted flam taps are something I, nor my friend of 8 years drumming has ever heard of, so either you call it something different or you're just giving a fancy name to a normal flam.

What do you base your theory on that I don't play jazz?

EDIT: i just looked it up.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudim ... amtap.html

I can do the highest level, diamond on there. like i thought, just a fancy name for a simple flam. easy as pie.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:01 am

liquidblue aka DBV wrote:No, I haven't.
Did you actually just say you haven't heard of Art Blakey???? He is one of the most, if not THE MOST influential jazz drummers that EVER lived.
ever heard George Benson?
You do know that you just named a guitarrist, not a drummer?
And seriously, you got owned on the speed thing. I don't know where the hell you got that from. I don't care if you play drums, that doesn't give you credibility.
I don't see how I got owned just because you can't play fast.
And no, you can't. 4/4 time is 4/4 TIME. Aka 1-2-3-4.
4/4 time = 1-2-3-4
triplets = 1--2--3

etc.
WRONG. Time for you to learn about music. I thought you said you could read it?
you can do the hi-hat in 4/4 time and the snare in triplets but triplets in 4/4 time isn't what you call it at all.
Tripplets on each beat. Learn how to read music.
Also, some of the best drummers in the world don't do shit on songs. Look at Ringo of the beatles. He did very light drums in 95% of his songs.. then he puts out a song that to this day, cannot and has not ever been tabbed because of it's absolute bullshit on the drums. (forgot the name but i've heard it before and it's insane.)
I don't know how you think that Ringo is one of the best drummers in the world. You have to actually provide a name of a song for me to believe you.
meaning, every song you play doesn't have to have you going batshit. good drummers know when to hold back. apparently, you don't.
I never said you had to play fast all the time, and you never have heard me play.
and yeah, i know my rudiments. I also know inverted flam taps are something I, nor my friend of 8 years drumming has ever heard of, so either you call it something different or you're just giving a fancy name to a normal flam.
Have you heard of flam taps? Have you heard of inverted flams? Tell your friend he doesn't know too much about rudiments and you both should go practice.
What do you base your theory on that I don't play jazz?
I'm not saying that you don't play jazz, and I'm not going to diss you if you do. If you play jazz you have to be able to play something other than just swing the whole time and hitting the snare on the backbeat. That's not jazz drumming. If you played at the jazz kitchen you would get laughed at. Do you know Rich Doyle? I've played with him at the jazz kitchen before. I'm defininitely not some guy who is all talk, I can actually play. You have to know how to count, how to show the change in the form. You have to space it out, you can't play the snare all the time.

I don't want to put you down, I'm just not agreeing with what you say. Keep on playing drums man.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:05 am

I just saw that page you added in to your post and it doesn't really explain the inverted flam tap at all. On it you switch it so that if it is a right flam your left hand is higher but it still hits first, key word there- INVERTED. I dont know what the fuck that was there with a cowbell but that was nothing like I've heard. Try playing these really fast. You'll find they are actually difficult. If you have flat flams they don't count.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:28 am

The thing is, I *do* play fast. I play heavy metal. I play primarily stuff from system of a down and as I lay dying.

But I also play extremely slow stuff like "fly me to the moon" and so on from frank sinatra.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:44 am

hascoolnickname wrote:If you taught yourself and you think that you are good can you actually read? Most people I know that taught themselves either can't read, have no rhythm, or can only play one pattern. If you can play more than just straight time and more than one style of music then you are mediocre. Actually, if you can play just that you are better than the drummer from "HIM" -they would be a lot better if their singer/songwriter wasn't all like, "omg six six six satan death omg I'm so hot topic gawth please buy my album"
If you think you are good try doing some easy snare stuff like inverted flam taps
If you play set you should at least be able to do sixteenth note tripplets in 4/4 and keep 8th notes to the high hat.
If you play slower than 180 bpm I laugh in your face.
Just for the record, the singer/writer of HIM has a much more impressive track record that this latest incarnation... This is merely him as a pop star. He's doing what sells, that's all.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Tue May 16, 2006 1:17 am

just to add to this old thread, i can play pretty much stuff by rhapsody now, emerald sword, any of that, so yeah i'm a lot better now :D

also i can play stuff like funky sonic world on the drums in real life, can full combo that song (on extreme) so there's your speed, even if you don't know who rhapsody is

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue May 16, 2006 6:12 am

liquidblue aka DBV wrote:just to add to this old thread, i can play pretty much stuff by rhapsody now, emerald sword, any of that, so yeah i'm a lot better now :D

also i can play stuff like funky sonic world on the drums in real life, can full combo that song (on extreme) so there's your speed, even if you don't know who rhapsody is
Rhapsody is alright, but their guitar work is much more impressive than their drums.

You want kickass metal drums? Through The Eyes Of The Dead.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Tue May 16, 2006 7:44 am

i'd like to correct something that made me crap my pants please:
one-and-a-two-and-a-three-and-a-four-and-a < triplets in 4/4 time...hit the drum stick on every word and read the words out to 4 beats.
one-ey-and-a-two-ey-and-a-three-ey-and-a-four-ey < sixteenths in 4/4 time
one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and < 8ths in 4/4

flam tap flam tap paradiddle FLAMADIDDLE!!!

ps: Kenny Arnoff ftw
insert code compile execute return

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue May 16, 2006 3:30 pm

goplysomvnsurskthxalwl
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Wed May 17, 2006 3:29 pm

This has got to be one of the most pointless arguments I've ever seen. Going way back to the which instrument is hardest to play, and now to whether playing speed metal or jazz or slow stuff or whatever is hard to play.

The difficulty of any instrument is going to vary based on the individual playing it. I CANNOT play guitar very well at all because my fingers don't bend at all and aren't independent from each other. That's why I stick to drums, but I know amazing guitar players who aren't so good at drums because they have no independence between their hands and feet. Some people are instantly and naturally gifted at music. I know Mozart didn't find the piano to difficult to pick up, playing brilliant pieces of music on a harpsichord after only watching other people play.

To say you have mastered any instrument is a bold statement, I'm sure the greatest of musicians can still improve on their technique.

I do have to agree that Rhapsody's drum work never really stood out for me. But then most metal drumming just sounds like a wall of noise, and gives me a headache.

Edit: hahaahhahahahah YES!!!!! YOU CAN ONLY PLAY TRIPLETS IN 3/3 TIME!! HA. HA. HA.
Steve Fletcher

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Wed May 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Sam, I've always just heard people say "trip-a-let" when they play them- one-and-a is what I would say to explain an 8th with two 16ths. I guess I have heard "one-e-a-and-e-a" for 16th tripplets, but I've yet to find some way thats not confusing to explain tripplets to people.

ps. I can play the beat from a 70's funk song by the Winstons, I'm good right? pointless bump
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed May 17, 2006 3:51 pm

built-to-spill wrote:Edit: hahaahhahahahah YES!!!!! YOU CAN ONLY PLAY TRIPLETS IN 3/3 TIME!! HA. HA. HA.
built-to-spill wrote:Edit: hahaahhahahahah YES!!!!! YOU CAN ONLY PLAY TRIPLETS IN 3/3 TIME!! HA. HA. HA.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.davemyers.com/amcc/when3.htm
The triplet is a musical symbol, which alters the time value of notes and rests. It says to the reader: "fit three time values of these notes and/or rests, into the same time value of two notes and/or rests".
In order to fit three into two, we divide 2 by 3; 2/3=.66
Each note and/or rest (member of a triplet group) has an value equal to .66 of it's original value.

Measure one contains one triplet group of three half notes.
In 4/4 time, two half notes equals 4 beats (2+2=4).
Each member of a triplet group has an equivalent beat time value equal to .66 of it's original value.
2 (the original beat value of a half note in 4/4 time) times .66 = 2 X .66 =1.33
1.33 + 1.33 + 1.33 = 4 beats (rounded to the nearest whole number).
insert code compile execute return

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed May 17, 2006 7:39 pm

hascoolnickname wrote:ps. I can play the beat from a 70's funk song by the Winstons, I'm good right? pointless bump

AMEN BROTHA!
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed May 17, 2006 9:31 pm

JOKE:
What do you call a guy who hangs out with a bunch of musicians?

A DRUMMER! :lol: