[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Merk » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:16 am

LikeableRodent if you're interested in Indianapolis I can legitimately get you a position here, we are looking for people to help staff us for a big ol' contract we just signed on for. Pay isn't baller, only 35k, but it's very low stress and I fit "very well" into the company culture if that says anything. You will work four 12-hour shifts a week and then have four days off in a rotating schedule; you will work weekends (and holidays) like I'm doing right now! That may seem like you're getting shafted at first since you're doing a 48 hour week (sometimes you do a 36 hour "week" but that's besides the point) but trust me, trading the extra 8 hours for two whole days off work is really nice.

You can easily make a bigger paycheck elsewhere, a cert that high and decent social skills in an interview should give you the option of working in just about any NOC.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:11 am

Oh yikes. I'd seriously consider that if I weren't planning on traveling for a year before I head back to North America. I appreciate the thought, though.

How about we meet back up here in a year or so and see how things are going for both of us?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:41 am

I mentioned this earlier to Brian, and I'll restate for the rest of IndyDDR. In my perfect world everyone wears sweatpants and t-shirts, or we're all naked. It doesn't get any more comfortable than that.

The fashion industry is all about marketing, exploiting labor, vanity, greed, and conformity. It's really disconcerting when people have no problem spending huge percentages of their income on clothes and trends, but don't feel comfortable in their own skin.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:46 am

try knowing that to the point of complete intrinsic understanding but at the same time dating a fashion designer

it's a source of small little fights all the fucking time, and is ridiculous

the other night she tried for 30 minutes to tell me that what someone is wearing is a 100% reflection of who they are as a person, even if they didn't seek it out or choose it. I disagreed so she flipped shit resulting in her throwing coke and mcdonalds all over her car. I literally said "lol fashion" then left

what is my life
Last edited by Potter on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:49 am

I love repping companies or little things that make a big part of my life on t shirts and shit though, nothing against that. but 100 dollars on deep v necks, flannel , fuck dammit I want to punch people
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:05 am

Potter wrote:the other night she tried for 30 minutes to tell me that what someone is wearing is a 100% reflection of who they are as a person, even if they didn't seek it out or choose it. I disagreed so she flipped shit resulting in her throwing coke and mcdonalds all over her car. I literally said "lol fashion" then left
Real talk.

People can like whatever they want. My interests aren't exactly righteous. I just don't give a whoopdie-shit about fashion. It just isn't fun for me. Merk, Riot, and I got into a 45 minute heated argument about MvC3 and whether or not x-factor rewards bad play. Opinions and hurt bottoms nearly ruined a friendship!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:08 am

I'm still looking for a reason to wear the suit I bought in Korea. And speaking of Koreans and suits...not that he'll probably read this, but Daniel looks smashing in his.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:33 am

the other night she tried for 30 minutes to tell me that what someone is wearing is a 100% reflection of who they are as a person, even if they didn't seek it out or choose it. I disagreed so she flipped shit resulting in her throwing coke and mcdonalds all over her car. I literally said "lol fashion" then left
lol

We live in a fashion police state, blame business owners and high society or whatever.
Merk, Riot, and I got into a 45 minute heated argument about MvC3 and whether or not x-factor rewards bad play. Opinions and hurt bottoms nearly ruined a friendship!

Man this was an awesome argument and a true victory for the "X-Factor is not a good thing" crew.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:04 am

What's wrong with looking dapper and knowing what complementary colors are?
Also, my v-necks are $5. You don't have to buy $2000 Armani suits. Ballin on a budget.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:13 am

I guess we're mostly upset that $2000 suits exist, that they are marketed as the end game, and plebians buy into said marketing.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 am

Would you pay $100 for a flannel V-neck that could activate X-factor?

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:25 am

Merk wrote:I guess we're mostly upset that $2000 suits exist, that they are marketed as the end game, and plebians buy into said marketing.
Then you hate capitalism?

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:41 am

If poor people buying into the idea that spending a lot of money on clothes will make them happy and fulfilled is the definition of capitalism then why yes I do not like capitalism. I believe you mean consumerism? I think there's a Chuck Palahnuik about this! Someone page Riot to this thread.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 am

Sounds most like Survivor I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_( ... iuk_novel)

Probably best Palahniuk book. Read it!

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:48 am

I thought Lullaby was his "super-anti-consumerist" book?

Capitalism is the system which allows someone to place a $2000 value on a suit. If no one wanted to purchase that suit, there's no way the item could be valued at that. That's where I thought you were disagreeing with capitalism. As long as someone will pay the price for a luxury good, I see no issue with people thinking Lady Gaga outfits are fashionable (they aren't) or worth whatever Swiss bank account she blows on them.

I don't know where you see expensive suits marketed to the general public but it isn't a good business plan for a company to advertise to someone who isn't in their target demographic.

Blaming companies because people make dumb decisions is silly. People buying the newest Jordans when they should spend that money on diapers and a 401k is a personal issue. Of course I laugh at the people I've worked with who make MAYBE $15/hour that go out and buy a brand new Audi. It shows an overemphasis on status and lack of appreciation for budgeting. Do I blame Audi or get mad that luxury cars exist? No way, José.

Wanting your outfits to look good is different than buying outside your means. I prefer not to wear big front pleat slacks that hang like drapes or cargo pants. Like I said, ball on a budget playa.