[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Riot » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Ho wrote:I like how he just rolls with it--literally--and then gets right back up to celebrate.

What was the dialog between the fist bump that didn't happen?
Marn is just a big trolly gross guy and Jan probably just wasn't having any of it. Also Marn had these weird growth-looking things on his hands haha. I like the video on top of Marn trying to get off the stage.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:20 pm

Are there any girls in EVO? Any at all?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:57 pm

There were a couple we saw competing. I'm sure there are plenty in attendance, but I would say the room was probably 95% smelly dudes.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:13 am

Evo is great and goofy shit like Justin Wong beefing it right after winning Marvel is what makes it so endearing. I feel like all the emotions are raw and there's no manufactured corporate kayfabe bullshit to any of the drama the happens during the tournament.

It makes me wonder what we should do for Evo next year! Do we go to Vegas? I feel like we should maybe switch it up next year so Fort Wayne doesn't get stale.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:34 pm

lol
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:39 pm

hahaha did you guys hear about that dashcon shit? the tumblr fandom convention? it failed horribly, they couldn't pay for anything, all the promised guest speakers bailed because they didn't get paid, and the organizers offered attendees free time in a ball pit to make up for it. then they scammed everyone there out of 17 thousand whole dollars by saying hotel management was going to kick them out unless they came up with the money. looool. apparently someone even pissed in the ball pit. #tumblr

Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:05 am

How did they manage to squeeze $17,000 out of 1,500 people?

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:12 am

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how you can have a convention around Tumblr which, as far as I know, is basically LiveJournal.

DDR-A-Thon was basically IndyDDR-con

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:37 am

Merk wrote:I'm still trying to wrap my head around how you can have a convention around Tumblr which, as far as I know, is basically LiveJournal.

DDR-A-Thon was basically IndyDDR-con
But DDR-A-Thon wasn't about raising money for DDR-A-Thon. I would hope people would be more want to donate to a charity.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:46 am

Nononononononononono I don't want to give the impression that DDR-A-Thon was anything like Tumblrcon. We actually did something for the common good instead of just jerking each other off and then blogging about it.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:55 am

Please pay $17,000 to continue this discussion.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:28 am

I just can't get over how much of a scam that dashcon shit was. They charged $65 per ticket, and had 700 reported actual attendees (lower than the estimated 2000). That's 45 grand that they already had in their pockets before the con began. Renting some of the finest US hotel convention rooms/ball rooms is around a $1500 per 24 hours, so let's round it absurdly up to 5 grand they had to pay the hotel, even though they actually only rented it for 2/3 days, and it was probably not a high end $1500 a day hotel. That's 40k they had left in their pockets. So who wants to guess where that all went?

It clearly didn't go to paying guests/speakers, as they all bailed due to not being paid. It clearly didn't go to the vendors/booth holders, because they didn't get paid either. It didn't go to the staff, because the staff apparently "didn't get paid". It didn't go to event equipment, because they had some shitty tables covered in cloth and some hand drawn paper signs for room designations. So for those keeping score, we currently have more than $40,000 unaccounted for. $40,000 unaccounted for and these event planners "couldn't find a single dollar to pay speakers with". Speakers that had gotten off a plane hundreds of miles from home to find out these planners apparently lost 40 grand and can no longer pay for their promised rooming/travel

Then the most hilarious bit, after having this much money left over AFTER paying the hotel, they make up this absurd claim that the hotel is demanding 17 THOUSAND dollars to continue the con. oh my god, ded. anyone in the hospitality industry will tell you that is absurd. hotels do #1 not agree to convention rental without up front payment. #2 17k is enough to rent these hotels for a month straight and #3 the "official request from the hotel" was written in hand drawn pen on a "official marriott notepad" that was clearly printed off from ms word. I can't get over how hard those SJW girls got trolled. trolled out of enough money to buy a 3 series. ded

I kind of hope legal action gets taken because I'm telling you right now one of the "planners" for this event just pocketed a fuck load of money, even if all the 17k "donations" do get returned. that's still missing money on the order of 30 to 40 grand

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:09 am

Caveat emptor.

And perhaps more importantly:

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 am

I still don't know what people would even do at a Tumblr-con. Do they just talk about gender roles for 3 days straight?