So fresh and so clean clean

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: So fresh and so clean clean

Post by Ho » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:50 pm

danc1005 wrote:If it's possible, I think the page numbers under a thread title should still go right under the thread title instead of all the way over to the right. Either that or having clicking a thread automatically redirect to the last page. I went to the first page of Random Thoughts about 10 times today.
Also, this happened occasionally before, so it may be the same thing, but since the change to phpBB3, the forum hasn't managed to keep me logged in between two sessions yet.
If you click the yellow page with an arrow icon that appears right next to the topic title, it will jump you right to the most recent post in the thread that you have not yet read. You can also click the white page with an arrow icon that appears next to the last poster in the thread to jump to the last post in the thread. This is same functionality as on the previous version.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:07 pm

I'm really liking this except my username/avatar information on the right. :( no no nooo
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:08 am

Yeah I have to agree that the user info on the right is kinda sucky cause I mean, normally I'm looking at the center of the screen when sitting in a natural position, and when the user info is on the left the posts start more toward the center and are easier to navigate in my mind.

Edit: holy crap I have a lot of posts

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

^^ word

I can see how this would benefit HO when using his phone or whatever to view the page but... for the majority of the users... using PCs... it feels so weird.

Would this be a possibility to have an option for in a settings/preferences menu? I really don't like having everything backwards.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:54 am

letshavetea wrote:I can see how this would benefit HO when using his phone or whatever to view the page but... for the majority of the users... using PCs... it feels so weird.

Would this be a possibility to have an option for in a settings/preferences menu? I really don't like having everything backwards.
As it turns out, the layout is completely broken on my phone. :P

Even still, the profile information is basically static. I don't read it every time. In fact, I pretty much quit reading it a long time ago. Being off to the right, it's one less thing that I have to visually skip over to get to the actual content. Although, I will agree that having it to the left made it easier to quickly identify a poster--especially if they had a consistent, and recognizable avatar. So I can see benefits to either layout but don't have a really strong preference to either.

Both the old phpBB (2) and this new one (3) offered the ability to load multiple templates so that people could have a choice of styles. I had already decided that I may offer this if it is not too terribly difficult to implement. I'll keep people's preferences in mind.

NOTE: Moving this information from the left to the right was NOT a decision by me. It is simply the default in the new version and something that I have not yet made an effort to alter. While I can see advantages to either side, it was ultimately someone else (or multiple someone elses) that decided it would be a good idea. :)

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:27 am

Well those multiple someone elses are all bad people because of it.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:54 am

I'll just throw in my vote that I ALSO prefer the username/avatar to be on the left; it made the post in a more intuitive spot, and also allowed user identification through peripheral vision (based on avatar, color of ranking, etc.)

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:28 pm

danc1005 wrote:I'll just throw in my vote that I ALSO prefer the username/avatar to be on the left; it made the post in a more intuitive spot, and also allowed user identification through peripheral vision (based on avatar, color of ranking, etc.)
Remind me to always sneak up on your RIGHT...
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:06 pm

Ho wrote: If you're running VGA, you may even want to give the auto adjustment button a push. The problems you're describing sound more like maladjustment than shoddiness.
For some reason, my auto-adjustment didn't do anything to contrast. When I did it manually, though, the site started looking much clearer - shades of blue, light blue, and in the case of quote boxes, gray are now much more definable.

So fresh and so clean, clean.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:24 pm

ShammerS wrote:
Ho wrote: If you're running VGA, you may even want to give the auto adjustment button a push. The problems you're describing sound more like maladjustment than shoddiness.
For some reason, my auto-adjustment didn't do anything to contrast. When I did it manually, though, the site started looking much clearer - shades of blue, light blue, and in the case of quote boxes, gray are now much more definable.

So fresh and so clean, clean.
Lol, the quote boxes are definitely tan...

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:01 pm

Tan? I'd hate to see someone with a tan of that color, they'd look like the undead.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:31 pm

I agree they're not a particularly healthy color for a tan, but I definitely wouldn't call the quote boxes gray. Sam's monitor would seem to be set all kinds of fubar.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:41 pm

MonMotha wrote:
danc1005 wrote:I'll just throw in my vote that I ALSO prefer the username/avatar to be on the left; it made the post in a more intuitive spot, and also allowed user identification through peripheral vision (based on avatar, color of ranking, etc.)
Remind me to always sneak up on your RIGHT...
UPRATE: AA - Perfect
COMMENT: I lol'd a bit

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:41 pm

Ho wrote:I agree they're not a particularly healthy color for a tan, but I definitely wouldn't call the quote boxes gray. Sam's monitor would seem to be set all kinds of fubar.
I think they're actually greyed tones of blue if that makes sense, which is why they don't look quite grey

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:26 am

chocobojoe wrote:
Ho wrote:I agree they're not a particularly healthy color for a tan, but I definitely wouldn't call the quote boxes gray. Sam's monitor would seem to be set all kinds of fubar.
I think they're actually greyed tones of blue if that makes sense, which is why they don't look quite grey
They're definitely leaning toward muted yellow/brown on all three of the monitors I use daily and took the time to painstakingly adjust. :) Tan is an ok description of the color--just not a skin tan.

Of course this raises the age old question, "Is the color red you see the same as the color red I see?"