[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Can't exactly ask anybody for any compensation... it's nobody's responsibility really but my own sadly. It just sucks that it's a 2 hour drive every day, and 46 is twisty and hilly and not fun... not to mention 1 lane and really slow, if you get behind a big truck going up those hills gg.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Does the school not know you drive 2 hours to get to them? Do they just not care?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:12 pm

Yes they know, but it's not like they are obligated or anything. I am there as a guest for the most part, I think it would kinda rude if I asked for money.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:50 pm

How are you a guest you are literally working for the school by student teaching. Don't you even have your own course that you teach?

Riot I am not trying to be mean I am just ignorant about your relationship with this school.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Well I mean I am teaching, but still they are letting me teach there, and I represent IU. I just feel like it's rude to go and ask for money when they're not obligated or anything... I'm sure I'm probably not the only one that feels like that. All of us in this program are placed 30 mins-1 hour away, and I doubt anybody is getting any sort of payment.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:44 pm

Riot wrote:Well I mean I am teaching, but still they are letting me teach there, and I represent IU. I just feel like it's rude to go and ask for money when they're not obligated or anything... I'm sure I'm probably not the only one that feels like that. All of us in this program are placed 30 mins-1 hour away, and I doubt anybody is getting any sort of payment.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:49 pm

Chad would you ask your bosses to pay for your gas?

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:03 pm

For the record I do get compensated for gas when visiting clients hope that helps. $0.60 a mile to and from the client.

How did you get this teaching deal? Did they come to you? Through IU? Did you yourself seek them out?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:05 pm

It's part of the Transition to Teach program. I take the necessary education courses and field observations (twice a week for 12 weeks) in this grad program over the summer and fall, then they place me at a school for full time student teaching every day in spring. Basically I pay a lot of money to take classes, and pay a lot of money to go teach full for free.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Ok, I understand. That's why when I bummed out at your place you were gone on Mon/Wed.

So now you're doing it full time every day. Did IU choose this school for you? Did you draw it out of a hat?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Well when I made my student teaching application I mentioned a lot about technology and how I liked to work with computers and stuff, so they asked me if I'd like to go to this New Tech school, which is project-based learning with lots of technology and stuff. I agreed, and I like it a lot there, but otherwise they just place you somewhere and you have no say. I would have been at a traditional high school in Columbus otherwise, so it's not like it would have mattered if I had a choice. Best part is I don't have to make up snow days as a student teacher, and this was my second snow day, and there's already a 2 hour delay for tomorrow. Yay =)

But yeah all this has been why I've been snippy about money the last 6 months =P

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Riot wrote:Chad would you ask your bosses to pay for your gas?
If it were a travel expense I would. I wouldn't for a daily commute. This, of course, would be different if I were contracted.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
If it were a travel expense I would. I wouldn't for a daily commute. This, of course, would be different if I were contracted.
Yeah, so it'd be like me asking for money for school supplies, which I probably would do. Different for commute =( can't ask for that, I dunno, would just feel weird.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Riot I literally roll around in a big pile of money in my empty apartment at least twice a week. Money is not an issue and I'll get you some cash as discussed, but please keep in mind that this weekend is Valentine's day weekend and you know how that can be. My wallet is going to rick barrs. Her birthday was last weekend too so uh.... yeah. Holla holla get dollas. I can get you at least SOME cash after this weekend. I'll get paid on the 19th and I can finish off whatever debt then. Tell me when you'll be in Indianapolis and I can hand deliver this shit.

But anyway back to the topic at hand. I take it IU was all like, "WAIILL, WE DUNNA GIT DAT MONEY FROM DUH GUVMENT AND CREAN WANTS HALF A MILLION SO WE'RE GONNA DUMP DAT MONEY IN DA BIDNESS EDUMACATION FACTRY AN DUH RUTHE MIDuhLER CLOSET RACIST MULTEE-COMPLEX HUNTIN AND SPORTIN ARENA." and said that you'd be on your own when it comes to actually fucking getting to these schools? What would they have said if you told them you had no car?

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Whoa now did your incredible house-friend get compensated for commuting during his contract?

Guys I seriously should be playing beet but I am very engrossed in this conversation we're having and I hope the rest of indyDDR enjoys it as well.