PS3

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

yamcha61
Standard
Standard

PS3

Post by yamcha61 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:36 am

Does anyone know the PS3 release date? I tried to find it but it seems that everyone seems to have different information. If someone could hlp me out I would really appericiate it.
What happens when you get scared half to death twice?

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:02 am

there isn't one...they speculate that it'll be out sometime this year in japan and then september in the us...who knows...
insert code compile execute return

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:31 am

they are saying its gunna be like $700 anyhow... yea

hmm 2 xbox 360s.... or a PS3? hmm... tough choice

people will pay it though.... becuase they wanna play Socom 3!!!!111..... ugh (look at the outrageous prices people paid for the 360 at launch on Ebay...)

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:14 am

or 3.5 revolutions....why buy the 360 if you're gonna bitch about the price of the system?

truthfully the price tags is what's making me not buy a 360 or a ps3. I have never and will never spend more than $200 on a system. That's just stupid...It's to play video games!! I can't even word process on these large hunks o junk

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:18 am

letshavetea wrote:hmm 2 xbox 360s.... or a PS3? hmm... tough choice
PS3 because xbox360 is a hyped up gaming computer. PS3 is going to be using technology way beyond xbox360. Let's see... developers are ALREADY complaining about the Xbox360's lack of media space. By using HD-DVDs they are putting themselves in the back of the technology ring. When a system is launched and there are already developers complaining about the limitations on it... that's a problem.

PS3 will be using technology way beyond anything that we have out now. I would explain in more detail... but I have an addiction I have to feed.... that's right... sudoku... the addictive puzzle game that has stolen my life.
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:51 am

I seriously doubt it'll be anything around $700. Sony isn't stupid.

yamcha61
Standard
Standard

Post by yamcha61 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:43 pm

as far as the price sony is saying that they may have to take a loss on each system sold. PS3 is done but now they are trying to find cheaper ways to build them and not lose the quality. That is why they arent sure when it will be released. At least that is what I have gathered.
What happens when you get scared half to death twice?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:07 pm

yamcha61 wrote:as far as the price sony is saying that they may have to take a loss on each system sold.
This is common practice and not at all new or unique to the PS3. In general, ALL game systems are sold at a loss--particularly in the initial release phase. They don't make money on the systems, they make money licensing the games.

It's the King Gillette razor and blades business model. Another example is cell phones that are often sold deeply discounted or even free under contract that you will pay for the service to go with them.
Last edited by Ho on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:07 pm

All systems lose money on console production and they make their money on the games. It's called the Razor and Blade method (Thanks, videogame class at IU!). Xbox360 loses hundreds of dollars on production but they make their money through game sales. Sony will lose exorbitant amounts of money producing systems, but because they are the industry leader (and probably will be again) they will, over time, sell the most systems and the most games, creating a profit.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:10 pm

It's not going to be $700, that is marketing suicide. I'm guessing $350-400 highest price. Sony is willing to take a loss in the beginning(blu-ray is expensive and risky right now) to make a greater profit. Microsoft seems to think that the thing that put PS2 ahead of XBOX was that PS2 released first. This isn't true. Sony has a much larger fanbase, XBOX is mostly America.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:11 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:It's not going to be $700, that is marketing suicide. I'm guessing $350-400 highest price. Sony is willing to take a loss in the beginning(blu-ray is expensive and risky right now) to make a greater profit. Microsoft seems to think that the thing that put PS2 ahead of XBOX was that PS2 released first. This isn't true. Sony has a much larger fanbase, XBOX is mostly America.
I was thinking maybe even a sticker price of $450, but that would be the absolute maximum. And you are 100% right about blu-ray, it's very expensive right now, and that will also be a big investment for them. XBox's fanbase really is not that large. I would generalize it to younger american generations obsessed with halo. And to make a point, I thnk that the only reason some of those kids want an XBox360 is for Halo 3 omgwtfbbq.

I don't own an XBox.... I'm a proud PS2 Owner

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:27 pm

*ahem*

gamecube did not lose money on every system produced. nitendo knows what they're doing when they make systems...they've yet to have financial issues.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:02 pm

sam wrote:*ahem*

gamecube did not lose money on every system produced. nitendo knows what they're doing when they make systems...they've yet to have financial issues.
There are two reasons I want a gamecube... twilight princess.... and SSB:M oh and mario kart whatever. And mario party :D ok I'm done

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:08 pm

The PS3's original released price was $500, i think that they've backed off that now though. That's why I'm going with the nintendo, which will be released at a tag of under $200, worse graphics than a PS3? yes. Do I care? No. At all? No.

The whole idea of the PS3 is really aggrivating, it will be more expensive than a computer that can do so many more things. To produce a game that will take advantage of every aspect of what the PS3, not only will take more technology than we currently have, but will be so costly that game prices will soar. I'm going to stear clear of the PS3 and 360, until the PS4 and the 720 come out so then they may be affordable to those who don't just have their parents buy one for them.

My firm belief is that the PS3 will not be as succesfull in the long run as the 360. And, although it pains me to say it, that the revolution will be in dead last, while, of course, producing the most unique and innovative and ultimately, best games.
Steve Fletcher

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:17 pm

you guys are retarded.

NINTENDO DID NOT LOSE THE LAST CONSOLE RACE

If turning a loss almost every single quarter is winning, fuck I'd love being in "last" place.

Nintendo is a company as well as an entertainer. They've been in the game business since the 1800s and have not gone anywhere. When a parent goes to get their kid a system for xmas the 3x pricing from the 'nex gen' systems versus the revolution will be extremely influential.

Also Zelda: Twilight Princess will be a Revolution title I'm almost certain of it. First it was pushed back to March when the Revolution was rumored to be released. Now it's pushed back again with promised "Revolution functionality" added in.... Next it will be a Revolution Title just like they did with Cubivore, Dinosaur Planet & Animal Forest.