Pad Problems + More

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Pad Problems + More

Post by danc1005 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:03 pm

Okay I didn't know where this should go, so I just put it here. Okay, as some of you may know, I recently (~1 month ago) ordered a Red Octane Ignition 3.0 pad. The main reason I ordered this pad was so I could dance out Stepmania, and since it came with a USB connector, I thought it would be perfect. (As I understand, Stepmania, ITG, and this pad are made by the same/incorporated companies?) Now, when the pad first got here, it worked perfectly on the PS2 (got my first heavy AAA on it) but it didn't work on the computer. The arrows gave me the following problems (in both Stepmania and Control Panel->Gaming Controllers) 1)Arrow presses not registering at all, 2)Having to press very hard (literally jumping) on the arrow to get it to register, 3) The arrow staying "pressed" after I had released it (stepped off the pad), 4)Arrow being sensed when nothing was being pressed. Rarely, (like 1/50) an arrow press would register perfectly. Now, initially, I concluded that the problem must be with the pad's USB connector (seeing that it worked fine on PS2). This conclusion was further supported when my friend got an Ignition as well and his worked fine on the computer with Stepmania. However, after returning the pad and getting a replacement a few days ago, the SAME PROBLEMS OCCURED. So now, unless they have sent me 2 defective pads in a row (I highly doubt this), I must conclude that it's something wrong with my computer/USB port. The same USB port works perfectly with many other things, this is the only thing I've had trouble with. I also can't see how my computer can be the problem, as the pad is recognized and whatnot successfully in Control Panel. I have run out of ideas/solutions for this, so now I decided to ask the IndyDDR community. Help, please!

-Dan

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:05 pm

Ooh, in all my excitement, I forgot the "more". I installed an ITG2 that was made for Stepmania CVS onto regular Stepmania yesterday...it didn't run while installed, so I simply removed that folder, and now it's back to the normal layout, but it still has extensive changes wrought on it by the theme (scoring, options, song selection...). I tried changing the theme back in-game, but it didn't help. I was thinking of un- and reinstalling (which wouldn't be too much of a pain) but I was wondering if there's an easier way. Anyone know how to completely uninstall a theme?

-Dan

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu May 04, 2006 9:30 am

out of curosity, I'm not sure if this would matter, but are you running USB 2.0?
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Thu May 04, 2006 12:36 pm

sounds like the device is pulling too much power off usb

how many things do you have plugged into the usb bus? try unplugging all devices on the usb bus you can and only having it in
insert code compile execute return

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:22 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm running 3.0. The only thing I have in my USB ports is my webcam, and it's always off...wait, maybe my printer is USB...I'm not sure, but it's always off, too...wait nvm my printer is plugged into an outlet. So yeah I don't think my (turned-off) webcam should be drawing much power, should it?

-Dan

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu May 04, 2006 3:46 pm

dance1005 wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm running 3.0. The only thing I have in my USB ports is my webcam, and it's always off...wait, maybe my printer is USB...I'm not sure, but it's always off, too...wait nvm my printer is plugged into an outlet. So yeah I don't think my (turned-off) webcam should be drawing much power, should it?

-Dan
You aren't running USB3.0. There is no USB3.0, to my understanding.

And your printer is either hooked up through a serial port (little anchor screws, etc.) or USB.

If you want to check if your USB port is messed up with it's power output/draw, goto your control panel/system/device manager/Universal Serial Bus controllers. Check the devices for power draw and other stuff.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Jekster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jekster » Thu May 04, 2006 4:00 pm

I assume the pad came with a separate PS2 to USB converter. If this is the case, are you putting the converter into pad mode? Not sure if this will solve all your problems, but its one of the major things people don't do when using a USB converter. To put a USB into pad mode: hold up+start+select for three second. This should make all the directions on your pad register as separate buttons under Control Panel->Game Controllers. If this worked, then simply load stepmania and config the pad.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu May 04, 2006 4:03 pm

...Jekster, you obviously don't have much experience with Ignitions. They come with USB connectors, thereby eliminating the need for a converter. And as I understand, they should work with Stepmania out of the box.

-Dan

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu May 04, 2006 4:04 pm

**I meant 2, sorry mistyped. I have 2.0.

-Dan

Jekster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jekster » Fri May 05, 2006 6:03 am

dance1005 wrote:...Jekster, you obviously don't have much experience with Ignitions. They come with USB connectors, thereby eliminating the need for a converter. And as I understand, they should work with Stepmania out of the box.

My bad, I thought for sure I had seen Redoctane pads bundled with USB adapters before. In all honesty, I do have very little experience with Redoctane pads because they always seemed a bit overpriced for me. However, I was trying to lend my knowledge of third party ignitions and third party USB converters. Which, both work fine, out of the box, with my suggested advice. Again, sorry it didn't help you at all.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri May 05, 2006 3:36 pm

UPDATE: I played quite a bit of PS2 DDR yesterday, and the pad worked fine until right near the end, when it seemed like I was getting a lot of pad boos. I wrote it off as me being tired, but now, as of today, my down arrow has COMPLETELY STOPPED WORKING. Worked fine early yesterday, today can't sense anything. I thought maybe the sensor moved or something but that wasn't it. So, basically here's my experience with RedOctane: I buy a pad, think it's defective, return it, wait around 3 weeks until I finally call and ask what's taking so long. They have the nerve to tell me it takes 6-8 weeks to replace products, so I start accusing them of all sorts of crap and the guy gets nervous and thinks I'm gonna press charges and sends me a new pad the next day. Now, the replacement for my initial pad (which was probably fine) actually IS defective. And for a refund, they charge a %15 "reshelving fee". In other words, bullshit ripoff. So I'm basically probably going to end up spending money for nothing and wasting time. I'm regretting I ever dealt with RedOctane in the first place.

-Dan

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:03 pm

So, I've been doing some reading at DDRFreak forums, and it seems there are many people that have the same problems as me. It also seems there are many people with absolutely no problem at all with their Ignitions. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think buying a dance pad should be like winning the lottery. Plus, it pisses me off that my friend bought one and his works fine. So, basically my only option for the home is a CF...which even if I could afford, I probably wouldn't be allowed to buy. So, I guess it's no more playing at home for me.

-Dan

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri May 05, 2006 4:13 pm

dance1005 wrote:So, I've been doing some reading at DDRFreak forums, and it seems there are many people that have the same problems as me. It also seems there are many people with absolutely no problem at all with their Ignitions. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think buying a dance pad should be like winning the lottery. Plus, it pisses me off that my friend bought one and his works fine. So, basically my only option for the home is a CF...which even if I could afford, I probably wouldn't be allowed to buy. So, I guess it's no more playing at home for me.

-Dan
I got two ignition 2's back when they first came out. They lasted a year of heavy use. Never bought pads since, I think home version is a waste of time if you play for PA.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:47 pm

PA=Perfect Attack? And no, I just play at home for practice and for fun, because I don't want to go to the arcade everyday. I don't really care about my home scores, as long as I'm having fun.

-Dan

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Mon May 08, 2006 7:23 pm

Just break down and buy a Cobalt Flux if you're gonna waste your time playing at home?