Science Project...

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Science Project...

Post by blackcat » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:50 pm

Heh, check out my science project that I made like all yesterday:

heh, not exactly done with it yet...gotta add a couple more things to it...but yeah...I just thought the idea was clever :-P

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:41 pm

I have a funny story that's somewhat related to this...

I once had a friend over. He's a dance instructor at an Arthur Murray studio. He had never played DDR before, so I introduced him to it. He struggled through his first couple songs and then started to get better. He was able to pass a 4-foot song within his first 5 games or so...not too darn bad.

Since he started getting better quickly, I asked him what made the difference. He replied, "I took everything I know about dance and put it out of my head." I said, "Fair enough." Ever since then, I have held to the belief that 'Dance' appears in the title of DDR twice so as to cancel itself out. ;)

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:26 pm

The results are in, I suck at Stepmania.

Intermezzo
Standard
Standard

Post by Intermezzo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:42 pm

Hahah that is an awesome project.

"Marvelous in Speedway" sounds like a crappy Broadway musical.

oh yeah I suck at Stepmania too and I have musical experience.

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:13 pm

You should've done it on music games in general...

Two weeks ago my friend bought Guitar Hero II for his birthday, and I bombed the first couple songs I tried on Medium, and then a couple minutes later I almost beat the game on Hard. Previous to that, the last time I played anything similar was when Guitar Freaks had just come out into NorCal arcades (like...2002 or something?) with 3 buttons. =P

I'm a music major, and music games come pretty quickly to me, plus I like 'em. And I know when Keyboard Mania came out in arcades such a long time ago, a lot of people I knew that played piano had a good knack for it. =)

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:42 pm

Ho wrote:I have a funny story that's somewhat related to this...

I once had a friend over. He's a dance instructor at an Arthur Murray studio. He had never played DDR before, so I introduced him to it. He struggled through his first couple songs and then started to get better. He was able to pass a 4-foot song within his first 5 games or so...not too darn bad.

Since he started getting better quickly, I asked him what made the difference. He replied, "I took everything I know about dance and put it out of my head." I said, "Fair enough." Ever since then, I have held to the belief that 'Dance' appears in the title of DDR twice so as to cancel itself out. ;)
Haha yea I started out on Light and was alright at it, but then I threw everything out that I knew about dance and BAM! Standard then heavy!
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:02 pm

Please bring this to Japan Night sometime, we can use it to cover the hole in the wall.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:08 pm

Merk wrote:Please bring this to Japan Night sometime, we can use it to cover the hole in the wall.
*stares at Fluffy* any idea how that got there?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:16 pm

Better call in the Hardy Boys.

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:27 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Better call in the Hardy Boys.
"Oh man, I've got a raging "clue!""

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:23 pm

Merk wrote:Please bring this to Japan Night sometime, we can use it to cover the hole in the wall.
HAHAHA OKAIIIII! :P

Yeah, about the project...one of the things that I added to it, which wasn't on there before (in the picture) was "What would I do differenty?" And I said that I would make it more general, because music experience really doesn't have to affect how good you do at stepmania.

I thought, to be more fair, that I would choose random people who had never played Stepmania before, since the results of my experiment might have been misleading, due to the fact that some of the participants might have had more practice than others...and that could have affected their scores. therefore, if I choose people who haven't done it before, the results might be more accurate....I dunno. Something along those lines.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:49 pm

I don't know what you're talking about, I've never played Stepmania before.