Blast! from the past - DDR History

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:57 pm

You grow out of your love for crowds after you've played for 4+ years in arcades.

It's just one more middle-aged bald guy muttering about you having no life and laughing it up with his friends.

It's just one more teen-aged girl going ZOMG ur so hawt how do u do that?!?!?!?!11+1

It's just one more flipping ghetto/white trash person jumping up on the side of the pad you're not using and being a dumbass.

It's just one more person asking if you memorize the steps/how often do you play/you're a really good dancer (we're not dancing, get over yourself if you think you are).

Makes me want to end people's lives. Seriously. And fuck pad misses.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:18 pm

Spazz wrote:It's just one more middle-aged bald guy muttering about you having no life and laughing it up with his friends.
Note: He's not talking about me here :lol:

I started playing DDR in April 2002 --- I had taken my daughter to Lazerlite to play some games, and while she was funneling her money into the redemption games I noticed the DDR machine in the back. I was fascinated, and couldn't resist giving it a try. So I played one game, and was instantly an addict. That was on 3rd Mix Korean, but the very next time I came back it had been upgraded to DDR Max.

Those first few weeks I spent a TON of money on that game; I guess I realized I was truly hooked the first time I went WITHOUT the pretense of taking my daughter with me. :lol:

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:44 pm

Spazz wrote:You grow out of your love for crowds after you've played for 4+ years in arcades.

It's just one more middle-aged bald guy muttering about you having no life and laughing it up with his friends.

It's just one more teen-aged girl going ZOMG ur so hawt how do u do that?!?!?!?!11+1

It's just one more flipping ghetto/white trash person jumping up on the side of the pad you're not using and being a dumbass.

It's just one more person asking if you memorize the steps/how often do you play/you're a really good dancer (we're not dancing, get over yourself if you think you are).

Makes me want to end people's lives. Seriously. And fuck pad misses.
seriously crowds aren't like they used to be. It's been out long enough now most people are used to it. The only people who stand around and gawk now either, don't get out very often, have no television, or are just easy amused.

Why I'm hardly called a fag at all anymore while in the arcade(walking down the street minding my own buisness is another thingXP). :( I miss the old days.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:53 pm

Fagulous wrote:Why I'm hardly called a fag at all anymore while in the arcade(walking down the street minding my own buisness is another thingXP). :( I miss the old days.
Today at the arcade actually, I finished doing my custom song Odysee in 3d, and I turn around grabbing my towel and I see a woman and her kids. The woman is wobbling around like an idiot, obviously trying to mimic me. I blankly stared at her without saying a word until she got really embarassed and walked off with her kids. Man i could have bashed her pretty bad.
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:37 pm

Cbav wrote:that's a major factor that keeps me playing. I guess you could call it performing for audiences. And whenever I play I regularly get that crowd behind me, and it really does make you feel great. =]
Absolutely...it's one of the main reasons I love playing in public places. Many times, people will get on the machine for their first time seconds after I get off, and I feel that maybe I'm passing on the chain...

...I saw somebody good before me...

...I became an enthusiast...

...someone else saw me...

...they become an enthusiast...

...I guess I can die happy now...I've made a DDR impact on the world.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:15 am

Cbav wrote:
Fagulous wrote:Why I'm hardly called a fag at all anymore while in the arcade(walking down the street minding my own buisness is another thingXP). :( I miss the old days.
Today at the arcade actually, I finished doing my custom song Odysee in 3d, and I turn around grabbing my towel and I see a woman and her kids. The woman is wobbling around like an idiot, obviously trying to mimic me. I blankly stared at her without saying a word until she got really embarassed and walked off with her kids. Man i could have bashed her pretty bad.
LOL well it does still happen, just not as often. A few months ago somebody who was eating, and seemed to have no interest in any of the games in the first place(PEDO!) was eating lunch at gameworks. After my second song he started yelling about what a faggot game I was playing. I just blinked at him a second, limpwristedly waved to him, and choose "It's Raining Men"(which I actually don't like step wise, but for the sake of annoying people it's a good choice)for my last song. He just got up and left. :lol:

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:24 am

letshavetea wrote:
Pheonixguy wrote:I hope you really didnt turn in that exact copy for an english assignment...

That is actually what I turned in. The paper was pretty much "Write about something that's important to you that doesn't involve people." DDR works for me then.

And about that crowd comment. I always play better when there is a crowd, because if I quit or fail.... I always feel like I'm letting them down so instead I just push myself through it.
It wasnt the subject as much as some spelling mistakes and using 'crap' in an english report... idk it just kinda bothers me (im a nerd if you couldnt tell)

Whenever i have a crowd i always feel like i have to do something impressive or a song thats not weird and stuff like that... and the compliments do get a little annoying but NOTHING compares to playing at chuck e cheeses when all the little kids are trying to step on the pad youre playing on. that really scares me for both their sake and the sake of me passing the song... lol
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:37 am

By far the most annoying time I've ever had while playing Pump was when there was a crowd of preteen girls behind me that decided to cheer me on while I played. I was seriously having trouble hearing the machine over them. And that's saying something, as the X-Site machine tends to have it's volume up pretty good.

As for kids on the pads... If I'm playing doubles and some stupid kid jumps onto the pad, I'll keep playing. I've literally run a kid off the pad this way before. He decided to jump onto the left pad while I was using the right one, but didn't get off before the crossover. He ended up somewhere to the left of the pad getting laughed at by his friends. He didn't bother me again.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:40 am

Spazz wrote:You grow out of your love for crowds after you've played for 4+ years in arcades.

Cbav wrote:Today at the arcade actually, I finished doing my custom song Odysee in 3d, and I turn around grabbing my towel and I see a woman and her kids. The woman is wobbling around like an idiot, obviously trying to mimic me. I blankly stared at her without saying a word until she got really embarassed and walked off with her kids. Man i could have bashed her pretty bad.
Pheonixguy wrote:Whenever i have a crowd i always feel like i have to do something impressive or a song thats not weird and stuff like that... and the compliments do get a little annoying but NOTHING compares to playing at chuck e cheeses when all the little kids are trying to step on the pad youre playing on. that really scares me for both their sake and the sake of me passing the song... lol
WhiteDragon wrote:By far the most annoying time I've ever had while playing Pump was when there was a crowd of preteen girls behind me that decided to cheer me on while I played. I was seriously having trouble hearing the machine over them. And that's saying something, as the X-Site machine tends to have it's volume up pretty good.

As for kids on the pads... If I'm playing doubles and some stupid kid jumps onto the pad, I'll keep playing. I've literally run a kid off the pad this way before. He decided to jump onto the left pad while I was using the right one, but didn't get off before the crossover. He ended up somewhere to the left of the pad getting laughed at by his friends. He didn't bother me again.
DDR Support Group, anyone?
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Pheonixguy wrote:
letshavetea wrote:
Pheonixguy wrote:I hope you really didnt turn in that exact copy for an english assignment...

That is actually what I turned in. The paper was pretty much "Write about something that's important to you that doesn't involve people." DDR works for me then.

And about that crowd comment. I always play better when there is a crowd, because if I quit or fail.... I always feel like I'm letting them down so instead I just push myself through it.
It wasnt the subject as much as some spelling mistakes and using 'crap' in an english report... idk it just kinda bothers me (im a nerd if you couldnt tell)
Oh, the spelling errors and that were there because I retyped it in notepad... I dont have MSword or anything worth using on the PC I retyped it on :/.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:00 pm

WhiteDragon wrote:As for kids on the pads... If I'm playing doubles and some stupid kid jumps onto the pad, I'll keep playing. I've literally run a kid off the pad this way before. He decided to jump onto the left pad while I was using the right one, but didn't get off before the crossover. He ended up somewhere to the left of the pad getting laughed at by his friends. He didn't bother me again.
I think of myself as a pretty heartless SOB, but I notice that I'm the only person here (?) who believes in shooing kids off the pad as opposed to steamrolling them.

Is it that I'm the only one who realizes that the DDR player will always get the blame if the kid's injured? Or do I just not have enough faith in the durability of modern toddlers.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:14 pm

Arka wrote:
WhiteDragon wrote:As for kids on the pads... If I'm playing doubles and some stupid kid jumps onto the pad, I'll keep playing. I've literally run a kid off the pad this way before. He decided to jump onto the left pad while I was using the right one, but didn't get off before the crossover. He ended up somewhere to the left of the pad getting laughed at by his friends. He didn't bother me again.
I think of myself as a pretty heartless SOB, but I notice that I'm the only person here (?) who believes in shooing kids off the pad as opposed to steamrolling them.

Is it that I'm the only one who realizes that the DDR player will always get the blame if the kid's injured? Or do I just not have enough faith in the durability of modern toddlers.
Don't get me wrong. If I can, I'll first shoo them off the pad. However, most Nightmare charts don't give you the free time to do so, and the only way to keep from failing the song is to just plow right through them. Besides, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that if you jump in front of a quickly moving object, it's your fault if it rams into you.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 pm

Single pad players (like myself) generally don't have that much of a problem with this. At TFP in Greenfield I do. I'm constantly shooing children off the pad and telling them not to press the buttons.

A while back, a kid thought it was funny to try to hit the buttons to change the song / choose a song. He wouldn't leave me alone at all, so eventually once I was in the middle of the song he apparently pressing on the pad would be even more fun, but of course he charges at me in the middle of a stream and he gets kicked, cries, I continue playing - in peace. :D
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:51 pm

WhiteDragon wrote:
Arka wrote:

Don't get me wrong. If I can, I'll first shoo them off the pad. However, most Nightmare charts don't give you the free time to do so, and the only way to keep from failing the song is to just plow right through them. Besides, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that if you jump in front of a quickly moving object, it's your fault if it rams into you.
Just punt them off the pad like I do....I still remember Join the Party CZ right toward the end just kicking a kid backwards off the pad....HALARIOUS....and I told this kid to get off the pad while I was playing One Love NM and I just kicked him since I told him SEVERAL times that I was useing both pads.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:32 pm

lgolem wrote:
WhiteDragon wrote:
Arka wrote: I think of myself as a pretty heartless SOB, but I notice that I'm the only person here (?) who believes in shooing kids off the pad as opposed to steamrolling them.

Just punt them off the pad like I do....I still remember Join the Party CZ right toward the end just kicking a kid backwards off the pad....HALARIOUS....and I told this kid to get off the pad while I was playing One Love NM and I just kicked him since I told him SEVERAL times that I was useing both pads.
at chuckecheeses today a kid got on the pad i was playing on while i was in the middle of something on cz... why not even the empty one i dont know

is it bad if you have to wait in line to get into there? :roll:
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.