Blast! from the past - DDR History

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Intermezzo
Standard
Standard

Post by Intermezzo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:31 pm

Every time a kid jumps on to the pad, if they're over the age of 6, I'm going to steamroll them off the pad. Most of the time the parents yell at the kids and not me, though. It's cool. I've actually stopped my game to shove someone off the machine multiple times though (the ghetto/white trash type Spazz described). Other than the occasional idiot described in Spazz's post, I love having crowds. It is kinda awkward when they come up to you and say "wow you're amazing!!!" when I'm not even considerably a good player, so I just smile and say "oh thanks."

As for history.. My online friend told me about DDR and I was very interested, but I couldn't find it in stores or in arcades.I first played on a DDR machine when I was 12, I think. It was an Extreme machine in Boomers in Ft. Lauderdale, and my first song ever was Irresistablement. I instantly fell in love with it and played about 5 more games, but after vacation I didn't play it for about 6 months when I went to Indiana Beach and finally made it to Light. 6 or 7 months later, again at Boomers on vacation (and they had a wall of DDR machines, omg), I got to Standard (and discovered one of my favorite songs in the world at the time, Break Down, was on it). Then I started going out with Frazzle Dazzle and started visiting Gameworks often for reasons other than DDR that I forget, but I finally got him into it. A few trips to Gameworks and lots and lots of complaining that I'd never pass a Heavy song, I passed my first Heavy song, Love Shine, and right after celebrating I realized someone stole my bag containing my money, my Yugioh deck and my hairbrush.

And that's the story of why I don't take stuff to Gameworks anymore. Wait, what was I supposed to be writing about?

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:03 pm

Everything Spazz mentioned can be summed up with one phrase: CROWDS ARE EVIL, hence one of the reasons I'm considering quitting. I've played for almost 6 years now and I can count, on one hand....ok.....MORE than one hand, how many crowds I could tolreate.....and all of those are just people I know.

I started at age 19 after two people got done freestyling. That's basically, what got me into it, and on a USA machine at that. I fell in love with the game after that. It was pretty much the same routine for months. Find an arcade with a DDR machine and spend all day there.

After I finally started getting serious, my playtime lessened, but my skill improved....somehow. I ended up having rivalries with many Greenwood people, even though I didn't really care about who was better at the time. It was just a training tool. Nothing more. I finally beat just about everyone who regularly went to G-Wood(without even knowing it) right before I started on Max 2 and finally learned GOOD freestyle.

So yeah. I can hold my own at Tech now, but my true intention was always to have fun.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:26 pm

I like walking into the arcade when a friend is playing and standing by one of the gawkers. I'll lean over and say, "Are these guys for real? What is it they're doing?" The random sucker then answers with something dumb as if they could accurately explain the game to me. If I have time, I include something like, "What a bunch of losers." Once I am recognized by my fellow players, my cover is blown and the people usually walk away unusually quickly.

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I like walking into the arcade when a friend is playing and standing by one of the gawkers. I'll lean over and say, "Are these guys for real? What is it they're doing?" The random sucker then answers with something dumb as if they could accurately explain the game to me. If I have time, I include something like, "What a bunch of losers." Once I am recognized by my fellow players, my cover is blown and the people usually walk away unusually quickly.
I don't know if that's completly fair, I mean how can you explain DDR without sounding dumb?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:15 am

It usually goes like this.

"You have to hit the arrows when they appear or something. Whoever does it faster wins."

BeatmaniacIIDX
Standard
Standard

Post by BeatmaniacIIDX » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:14 am

Luckly I started in Anderson right after they got 7th mix and then played at Washington Square fairly often. I never got crowds at either place.

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:It usually goes like this.

"You have to hit the arrows when they appear or something. Whoever does it faster wins."
LOL, yes I've heard that plenty of times, but even when explained correctly it still sounds stupid.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:09 pm

This Florida/Ohio State game is really turning out unexpectedly...34-14 Florida towards the end of the 3rd quarter.

Maybe I'm still just depressed about my Packers not making the playoffs...
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:32 am

Packers FTW

<-------------

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:47 am

Ah, how I got started.

It all started when my friend Craig started playing it and he was already on heavy. I took one look laughed and refused to play for over a year of watching him and other play and going to TBT.

I thne met Spazz and started hanging out with lil Joe and Matt....then one day I was bored, no one was looking and I had Matt play with me (so I wouldn't fail). I did pretty bad, but once I threw everything i knew about dancing, I jumped to 'heavy' within the hour. The rest is history.

I dont consider myself a good player by any means, and I dont really care. I just like to jump around and get my heart rate up. hurrahh. But I do always enjoy it when a crowd gather (mainly made of up guys....and TRIES TO PICK ME UP WHILE IM PLAYING!) At that point Spazz rescuses (or mark me, w/e you want to call it :P ) me with a lovely kiss and tell me to pull my pants up....probably because they have fallen off my hips.
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Intermezzo wrote:Every time a kid jumps on to the pad, if they're over the age of 6, I'm going to steamroll them off the pad. Most of the time the parents yell at the kids and not me, though. It's cool. I've actually stopped my game to shove someone off the machine multiple times though (the ghetto/white trash type Spazz described). Other than the occasional idiot described in Spazz's post, I love having crowds. It is kinda awkward when they come up to you and say "wow you're amazing!!!" when I'm not even considerably a good player, so I just smile and say "oh thanks."
Heh, I think I've come across most of the people described in Spazz's entry, and they are annoying as hell sometimes...but I dunno, if they have something to say, I just let them talk and then like disregard it later. And if a kid gets on the other side and starts acting stupid while I'm still playing, I ignore that as well. They eventually get off anyways. If they don't stop after a considerable amount of time, THEN I would take action and steamroll them off, but to be honest, what other people do or say don't affect me that much.

Crowds can be cool....the right kind of crowds anyways. I like it when my crowds consist of my close friends. They usually have something witty or hilarious to say to me when I'm done, and that motivates me to play...or at least to have fun while I play instead of taking it so seriously all the time :-D

Frank918

Post by Frank918 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:08 pm

I liked crowds. But hey that's probably because I look good am I right.

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:43 am

Frank918 wrote:I liked crowds. But hey that's probably because I look good amirite?!

Fixed.

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:40 am

blackcat wrote:Heh, I think I've come across most of the people described in Spazz's entry, and they are annoying as hell sometimes...but I dunno, if they have something to say, I just let them talk and then like disregard it later. And if a kid gets on the other side and starts acting stupid while I'm still playing, I ignore that as well. They eventually get off anyways. If they don't stop after a considerable amount of time, THEN I would take action and steamroll them off, but to be honest, what other people do or say don't affect me that much.
If you play at GW long enough on some Saturday Afternoons, you'll find yourself "steamrolling" more than what you'll expect.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:36 pm

I was playin doubles one time and I was on the left pad... and some idiot jumped on the right.... I had to transfer over so I just went over to the other pad and threw my hip into him. He fell off and hit his head on the seat of the game next to the DDR machine. :lol: