The Official "What i got for Christmas" thread

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:32 pm

All this is used primarily for Vanguard and future high-end games like Crysis or whatever. It's pretty obvious I didn't buy this for CS:S when my computer runs CS:S great as it is.

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:10 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Riot wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote: It'll be wasted on Counter Strike.
Vanguard ***

And what game do you propose that I waste it on? Insane Aquarium? lawlawlaw

I'm level 9. lawlawlaw
...Think they have unicorns on that game...?.....I'd totally get it if they did....

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:27 am

Alright so I ordered that new processor, now for the real question... what fan should I get? Is it necessary if I don't plan on overclocking? I was looking at the Zalman 9500 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16835118004 ) and 9700s but I heard they are really big (I would have to remove the exhaust thing protruding from the side of my case above the current stock fan over the processor).

Also, I am going to a big lan tournament and am driving around 9 hours there and 9 hours back.... I'm very worried that traveling with my computer might mess things up, especially the fact that some of the cons on the newegg comments about those Zalman fans say they slide around and are heavy. I'm worried that bumps and vibrations from travel might ruin something.... will it be okay if I secure it enough?

Or are there any other good solutions that aren't too hard to install (I've never done it before but I've heard it's kind of tough...) and that don't exceed $50 or $60? I really appreciate it!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:35 am

Riot wrote:Alright so I ordered that new processor, now for the real question... what fan should I get? Is it necessary if I don't plan on overclocking? I was looking at the Zalman 9500 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16835118004 ) and 9700s but I heard they are really big (I would have to remove the exhaust thing protruding from the side of my case above the current stock fan over the processor).

Also, I am going to a big lan tournament and am driving around 9 hours there and 9 hours back.... I'm very worried that traveling with my computer might mess things up, especially the fact that some of the cons on the newegg comments about those Zalman fans say they slide around and are heavy. I'm worried that bumps and vibrations from travel might ruin something.... will it be okay if I secure it enough?

Or are there any other good solutions that aren't too hard to install (I've never done it before but I've heard it's kind of tough...) and that don't exceed $50 or $60? I really appreciate it!
Bad link...

If it includes a heatsink/fan (retail box procs usually do), the stock one is completely sufficent unless you plan on running it out of specification (overclocking, higher voltage, etc.). They also tend to be reasonably sized and easy enough to secure. Regarding vibration, I move PCs all the time and have no problems. Make sure they don't fall over or slide around, but normal driving vibrations should be fine. You may wish to examine the heatsink to be sure that it is still securely attached when you reach your destination.

If no heatsink/fan is included, you can probably just buy one that's reasonably close to the stock cooler, again assuming you will be running the device within specifications.

As for what I got? XUPV2P. Google it. Still working on the companion dev software. Also a bunch of kitchen stuff and the requisite assortment of DVDs.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:49 am

Let me see... I pretty much got a lot of practical stuff. Other than my practical stuff, I got a few CDs (and they're great!), Beatmania (also pleased with this, and am learning to play seven key), and a few clothing items I picked out.

I got a ton of kitchen stuff, which were my practical gifts. Got a few cookie sheets, a couple glass baking dishes, assorted kitchen tools, a roasting pan and rack, a knife block, and a...Thanksgiving set...sort of thing. *shrug*

With some Christmas money/gift cards I got, I bought some more kitchen things. A muffin pan and a mini muffin pan, a silverware drawer organizer, a dish drying rack, a few mixing bowls... I'm also going to buy a nice Corelle dinner set pretty soon. n_x

It's great to get this stuff, but it really makes me feel like they want me to move out right now. XD
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:54 pm

riot, just use the stock fan. (unless you bought oem) The fan that came with my amd 64 is more than i would need. i cant remember exact numbers but last time i went in the bios it was somewhere around 30c
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:50 pm

Okay. I don't think I really plan on overclocking much (if even at all, I never have, never had a reason to). I was looking at this fan though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835118114

More for safety, not for necessity. Do you think my new videocard (the 7950gt 512mb) will need anything more than it's onboard fan?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:09 pm

I would guess you'd be fine. Then again, Josh's stock fan did die making his vid card crap out. I'd say get the fan or a nice warrenty.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:39 am

ShammerS wrote:A ton (8 or 9) extremely sexy clothing items from Express Men's.

$100 to Express Men's.
FTW

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:52 am

MonMotha wrote:As for what I got? XUPV2P.
Goddamn you. Go die now. :evil:
Mosh_Mosh_Revolution wrote:Other than my practical stuff, I got a few CDs (and they're great!), Beatmania...
Yippee! Come join us! Don't be afraid!

Except... wait, I'm horribly out of practice on Beatmania. Excuse me for a week while I go become part of "us" again.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:04 pm

LUGZ

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:45 pm

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution wrote:Other than my practical stuff, I got a few CDs (and they're great!), Beatmania...
Yippee! Come join us! Don't be afraid!

Except... wait, I'm horribly out of practice on Beatmania. Excuse me for a week while I go become part of "us" again.[/quote]

I'm all about it! If you're ever around the Fort sometime, hit me up and we can play. Apparently, according to a friend... HO BOUGHT OUR FORT WAYNE IIDX MACHINE. >____< NOW WHAT ARE US WAYNERS GOING TO PLAY!? -_-
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:19 am

Eventually Ho will own every rhythm-game machine in the entire state of Indiana. But we will have moved on to emo-type "Scream-at-the-Screen" games by then.

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:47 am

dance1005 wrote:Eventually Ho will own every rhythm-game machine in the entire state of Indiana. But we will have moved on to emo-type "Cry-away-from-the-Screen" games by then.

Frazzle Dazzle
Standard
Standard

Post by Frazzle Dazzle » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:29 pm

I got...

-A Nintendo Wii (got it at launch, but it was still what my mom got me)
-Twilight Princess for Wii
-$200
-South Park DVD