Book suggestions

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Book suggestions

Post by danc1005 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:16 pm

Well, I have a Borders gift card that I need to use, and I'm looking for some good books to spend it on. I would really like something similar to Looking for Alaska (John Green) or The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Steven Chbosky). Don't be like LURK MOAR please, because I don't trust online reviews and I don't have hours and hours to spend in Borders (even though I would love that).

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:26 pm

When I go to Borders, I usually find refuge in the Bargain Bin. You can find some awesome deals there, and there are some really cool coffee-table-esque steals there. Just find something that interests you there.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:06 am

the hitchhikers guide to the universe series of books.. the movie failed to capture the true randomness and thought in them, plus theres like 5 books and they've only done one movie. Im serious, they are a real mind enema
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:35 pm

Potter wrote:the hitchhikers guide to the universe series of books.. the movie failed to capture the true randomness and thought in them, plus theres like 5 books and they've only done one movie. Im serious, they are a real mind enema
I dunno about that I only enjoyed the first 3 1/2 books. :D after that it became super redundant to me and it felt like a chore to finish it.

"Trying hard to hear you" was actually a pretty enjoyable read, that is if you enjoy gay coming of age novels told through the voice of an unkowning 16 year old fag hag's journal.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:46 pm

Nick Hornby is a pretty good author
and Kurt Vonnegut, also

but like 99% of what I read is fantasy so I can't be much help to you

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:51 pm

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is pretty much just...a younger teen version of "The Catcher in the Rye."

But then, I always suggest getting classic lit from a used book store. Not only is it cheaper, but there's a good chance that the previous reader left some notes in the pages that would be beneficial to your understanding it.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:49 pm

Or if you are like me and like long running series of stuff...I would say, even though they are in kid section I love these books...A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket...he released the 13th and final part of his books...and even though they start out small the get larger as the series goes on.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:57 pm

I actually also read The Catcher in the Rye recently, and I honestly didn't like it much. I couldn't relate at all to the main character and sort of hated him. Plus (forgive me for sounding too unappreciating of a classic), nothing really happened in the entire damn book. I know it's just supposed to be like a coming-of-age, figuring things out type of book, but...I don't know, I just didn't like it. Heh, I also read Animal Farm recently, and I really liked that one.

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:33 pm

Eh, I really enjoyed it, for some of the reasons that you hated.

If you haven't read it yet, check out "1984" by George Orwell as well. Then after that, read some Vonnegut stuff. *shrug* Or "A Scanner Darkly."
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:24 pm

dance1005 wrote:I actually also read The Catcher in the Rye recently, and I honestly didn't like it much. I couldn't relate at all to the main character and sort of hated him. Plus (forgive me for sounding too unappreciating of a classic), nothing really happened in the entire damn book. I know it's just supposed to be like a coming-of-age, figuring things out type of book, but...I don't know, I just didn't like it. Heh, I also read Animal Farm recently, and I really liked that one.
I think you were supposed to hate the main character, or at least that is the only thing I can conclude when so many people tell me what a great character he was. I thought it was boring as well.

I agree with you about Animal Farm, very good read, so is Watership Down. The Metamorphasis(sp?) was a pretty good read too, kind of short though. The copy I have came with a bunch of different essays about it by various english lit proffesors and is actually longer than the story itself. :o

I'm such a critical reader though, if by the time I've finished the 5th chaper and I'm not excited about it where I want to spend every free moment reading it until 4 in the morning, it becomes a chore to me, and takes me forever to finish it.

Other suggestions:

Jitterbug Perfume: Quirky, fun read, with interesting concepts

Clan of the Cave Bear: Drags a bit at times, but well written and worth it.

Straight Jacket and Tie: Just kind of odd really, some of the passages have a very whimsy sensibility about them, kind of reminds me of the better parts of the Hitchhikers series.

Case of the Severed Head: I usually don't like generic detective smut novels with heavy focus on S&M but it was pretty well written.

Anything by H.R. Heinlin(sp?) but only one book really, they are all pretty much the same.

If you like stories about incest and birth defects you could go the V.C. Andrews route, but get Flowers in the Attic, I'm pretty sure that's the only one before she died. :P

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Anything by Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins.

You'll probably punch me in the face Dan.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Frank918

Post by Frank918 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:05 pm

Try R.L. Stine.

Phantom of the Auditorium or My Hairiest Adventure.

...Heck even I would recommend Egg Monsters from Mars.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:57 pm

The Clifford series is a colorful choice.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:16 pm

Green Eggs and Ham is a delicious choice.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:39 pm

hank the cowdog