[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:38 am

Well, when I say I know a lot of words... I mean only about 300 or so, hahaha, and only like words, as in;

ひらがな で

I know that says "hiragana de" but i have no idea what the de's for.

get what I mean? like I can translate that all out into the english lettering/romaji as fast as i could read english, but a lot of the prefixes/suffixes are what i don't know.

I basically know;

-300 or so words
-5 or so kanji (hahaha)
-The numbers system
-All hiragana
-All katakana
-How to form basic sentences (i.e. i get how basic sentence structure works, don't have to do pre-made sentences)
-How to speak/pronounce it
-What most (if not all) of the honorifics mean
etc.

I also know the stuff like the words for "who/where/when/why/what/how", and "and/in/out/this/that/it/or/" etc.

But some of the stuff like "de" after some words, a lot of the informal stuff (like i saw dayo there, that's about one of the only slang versions i get) I don't know/don't get, etc.

I learned my Japanese from a teacher online through email, he would check over my work and sent me one lesson at a time, 42 lessons for 42 bucks, i only got to lesson seven because each one was so damn long.

His email seems to be dead now (this was in 2005) so who knows though. But for what that comes out to be;

----------

Hiragana de chotto ha issun dayo. issun ha ichi sun to iu koutei (3.03 cm gurai)

chotto henna naka to omou. Nan nengurai nihongo wo benkyou shiteru?

(A chotto machigatta. Ima, kore ha seikai)

-----------

pretty sure that's right (for romaji i mean)... did that off memory.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:40 am

I don't know how anyone with a TV set is illiterate, subtitles can do wonders.
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:47 am

ahh, sorry :D well it's very good knowing the hiragana and katakana, I don't like when people try to learn it by using romaji. Although you answered my question in there fine :D what I was saying was that when you use the kanji for chotto, it has a secondary meaning (issun) which is a unit of measurement (around 3.03 cm).
You should keep up with studying it! learning the grammatical structures really could be worse.

de is what you see at the end alot as a negative request such as
たべない で which is please don't eat (casually). to be more formal it's
たべない で ください
japanese people are crazy about shortening words and phrases so in slang you see alot of endings cut off.

Although what I used de as in that sentence was as an action locator. so since it's talking about state (dayo is an informal desu yo), hiragana de means "in hiragana". and then the rest is saying that the kanji for chotto means issun as well. は being the topic particle so 一寸 was the topic, and いっすん is the resultant (I guess that's what you call it).

so in short.
In hiragana, 一寸 is issun.
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:42 am

I just got the most amazing email of my life. this is what you get when you put your resume on craigslist

"how are you doing? i am writing and wanted to know if you make any adult films or would want to make any? i am here in indianapolis and would not charge (FREE) you for some jo film, fisting, toys, or a any hot scenes. I can either show my face or you can put a hood/mask and make some anonomous films. I think it would be hot to get tied down and you can film frat guys using a frat paddle line up to spank a fag. I am serious so let me know if any of these things would help you in your film career. Like I said, I would not charge you anything and we can meet in my place. I live alone at mass/college ave. You could bring a mask to put on outside the door and then i will unlock the door and you come in and i never get to see your face. 937-xxxx edwin"
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:14 pm

Potter wrote:I just got the most amazing email of my life. this is what you get when you put your resume on craigslist

"how are you doing? i am writing and wanted to know if you make any adult films or would want to make any? i am here in indianapolis and would not charge (FREE) you for some jo film, fisting, toys, or a any hot scenes. I can either show my face or you can put a hood/mask and make some anonomous films. I think it would be hot to get tied down and you can film frat guys using a frat paddle line up to spank a fag. I am serious so let me know if any of these things would help you in your film career. Like I said, I would not charge you anything and we can meet in my place. I live alone at mass/college ave. You could bring a mask to put on outside the door and then i will unlock the door and you come in and i never get to see your face. 937-xxxx edwin"

Bet it's Fagulous.

Bahhhhhhahaha.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:38 pm

Green Tea wrote:ahh, sorry :D well it's very good knowing the hiragana and katakana, I don't like when people try to learn it by using romaji. Although you answered my question in there fine :D what I was saying was that when you use the kanji for chotto, it has a secondary meaning (issun) which is a unit of measurement (around 3.03 cm).
You should keep up with studying it! learning the grammatical structures really could be worse.

de is what you see at the end alot as a negative request such as
たべない で which is please don't eat (casually). to be more formal it's
たべない で ください
japanese people are crazy about shortening words and phrases so in slang you see alot of endings cut off.

Although what I used de as in that sentence was as an action locator. so since it's talking about state (dayo is an informal desu yo), hiragana de means "in hiragana". and then the rest is saying that the kanji for chotto means issun as well. は being the topic particle so 一寸 was the topic, and いっすん is the resultant (I guess that's what you call it).

so in short.
In hiragana, 一寸 is issun.
yay!

i just started taking japanese! ^^

but ive just started learning hiragana, so i know absolutly nothing
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Potter wrote:I think it would be hot to get tied down and you can film frat guys using a frat paddle line up to spank a fag.

hahahaha spank a fag

green tea, I remember once in tokyo when I was lost as fuck and I was asking around for directions and no one seemed to know where my hotel was.

at one point this guy walked by me and I asked him a few times where it was, he just ignored me, i thought maybe it was too loud, after three or so times i just gave up.

I sat down and looked at my map again, and the guy walked back the other way, walked up to me, and said "you need to say "desu ka"" (in perfect english). I was asking where it was by saying it shortened, like "dess ka" instead of the full "desu", and i guess he got butthurt about that for some reason. He didn't know where it was at either.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:00 pm

liquidblue aka DBV wrote:green tea, I remember once in tokyo when I was lost as fuck and I was asking around for directions and no one seemed to know where my hotel was.

at one point this guy walked by me and I asked him a few times where it was, he just ignored me, i thought maybe it was too loud, after three or so times i just gave up.

I sat down and looked at my map again, and the guy walked back the other way, walked up to me, and said "you need to say "desu ka"" (in perfect english). I was asking where it was by saying it shortened, like "dess ka" instead of the full "desu", and i guess he got butthurt about that for some reason. He didn't know where it was at either.
heh I believe it! they are a bit psycho about formalities. Sadly it might've also been because you were american. I have experienced a bit of racism in the past for being an american. But I shouldn't judge that many, because we have racist people here too.
phoenixguy wrote: yay!

i just started taking japanese! ^^

but ive just started learning hiragana, so i know absolutly nothing
excellent! if you need any help at all send me a pm or mail (mail would probably get to me faster.)
A bit of a hint, make sure you don't add pauses in words that aren't supposed to be there. I once said
これは私の携帯ですよ。 (kore wa watashi no keitai desu yo (this is my cellphone))
but I accidently pronounced cellphone (keitai) kettai because I stumbled a bit in it. (kettai means strange or perversion in kansai dialect) so essentially I said: "this is my perversion"

(also more funny mistakes 地図 and チーズ (chizu and chiizu (meaning map and cheese))
so when you are lost:
チーズはどこですか知っていますか? (chiizu wa doko desu ka shitteimasuka? (do you know where cheese is))
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:45 pm

HAY GUYZ- OMG BLUUUUUUUUUUU

Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:29 pm

Potter wrote:HAY GUYZ- OMG BLUUUUUUUUUUU CHUNKSSSSS

Fixed.

EDIT:
Oh shit just realized
PAGE 400 BABY

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:12 pm

posting on an epic page of an epic thread
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:17 pm

Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:22 pm

Hell, when I was in Japan a few years ago, I rarely had to use Japanese...most everyone I came across spoke decent english. I typically performed basic transactions, like buying things and such in Japanese, but anything important I needed I could usually just use English.

As for learning Japanese, it's actually pretty easy grammatically speaking. It's writing or reading it that's a pain in the ass, with so many Kanji, and almost all of them having multiple meanings.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:39 am

I recorded a song tonight.

http://www.myspace.com/kirckandackbar

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:49 am

Music? Yay! I uploaded some of the video from my band's last show in Valpo.
Check it....or don't, your call. Both videos are on the main page, and in our video section.

http://www.myspace.com/thedeepestreaches