[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Merk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Both parties essentially survive and thrive by picking some debatable topics to disagree on, and becoming the anti-party to the other.

Some of the topics are social issues such as gay rights or abortion. Some are economic issues such as how to tax and how to spend money (which essentially boils down to "tax whoever doesn't vote for me or give me money, and spend it on the people that do"). Some are on difficult factual issues like gun control and nuclear power.

In all honesty, in practice the two parties are about 90% the same. The other 10% really matters so some people (like homosexuals really wanting to have rights that heterosexuals have, or rural hunters really wanting to be able to buy guns), but doesn't really matter to a lot of people. The rest seem to move to a particular party due to identity politics or perceived notions about what one party does or does not do.

There are more independents (not affilated with any party) than there are people registered to either major party. The two major parties have simply taken a stance on all of the really debatable issues, leaving nothing for a third party to build support around.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 pm

so

much

oxycodone

also braaaap

Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Potter how is Chicago?

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:08 pm

not there! got severely ill the last few months (almost passed out and died at that gameworks meet up, that's why I was so quiet and out of it, sorry about that guys). ended up visiting the ER last week and stayed in the hospital for 5 or 6 days. they found out my gallbladder wasn't really working anymore, like at all, so they pulled it out (which is apparently common, and the organ seems to be completely unneeded). Only 72hrz post surgery and I already feel like fucking superman after getting used to feeling like a cancer patient for so long, quite literally. I had to spend some of my savings through this whole ordeal and I imagine it will take some time to recuperate those, but I should still be up there soon!
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Make some mad money from some sweet action music video contracts.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:05 am

fun fact: the original contract stated the video to be premiered on pitchfork, then hosted on my youtube account. Upon hosting a private 360p copy for pitchfork on my ftp server, planet mu intercepted an email between the artist, pitchfork and I, sniped the copy, and uploaded it to their own account. The artist as well as myself have requested they take it down, but of course they won't oblige. They won't even replace the shitty 360p copy with the proper 1080 copy

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:56 am

I find it odd that an organ that apparently isn't needed causes so much trouble when it stops working. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better though, Potter. :)

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:06 am

Just out of curiosity don't you have some sort of health insurance? I'm curious as to what you meant by having to take a bunch of your savings out to pay for your medical bills. Do you have a huge deductible?

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 am

I didn't take it out for medical bills, I had to use it to support myself as I was too sick to work

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 am

Ho wrote:I find it odd that an organ that apparently isn't needed causes so much trouble when it stops working. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better though, Potter. :)
Same! apparently the inflammation was completely blocking bile from getting to my stomach, and now that shit's waterfalling. Excited to hang out with all of you guys again and feel like a normal healthy person while doing so

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:57 am

Potter wrote:fun fact: the original contract stated the video to be premiered on pitchfork, then hosted on my youtube account. Upon hosting a private 360p copy for pitchfork on my ftp server, planet mu intercepted an email between the artist, pitchfork and I, sniped the copy, and uploaded it to their own account. The artist as well as myself have requested they take it down, but of course they won't oblige. They won't even replace the shitty 360p copy with the proper 1080 copy
Well I guess I'm never trusting e-mail for a primary form of contact with someone regarding business.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:12 am

Merk might like this

http://underlineent.com/track/fly-like-aiur

Speaking of videogame-esque music, if anybody likes chiptunes, I just got this remix album of Bitshifter's "Information Chase" album. Lots of big chiptunes artists all remixing the apparently famous little Bitshifter album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1L5pSMvxE One of my faves from the original album.

Here's remix: http://www.mediafire.com/?sgtbi677xq4dbwx

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:07 am

Post I read on idsnews.com today regarding Little 500 week:

what about noise when will the noise go away now i want too sleep good they will do not about noise why by the way $514 per tickets right what are the money fine cost any where do a story on that now today rip off from cops free of speech where is it here not here at all why will be be gorls of the night to have sex with and will they fine them too and not let them get away with it the sex good do your job go away

COLLEGE

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Dear Professor Wagner,

I hope this e-mail finds you well and that the Informatics program is continuing its strong growth. My name is Merk and I am writing you to ask if you would like to write a letter of recommendation for me. I completed my undergraduate degree in Informatics in May ’09 and after a year of working in the private sector at Apparatus in Indianapolis I have decided to further my education and apply to the school of Informatics for a graduate degree in Human-Computer Interaction Design. As a part of the application process for the school, I am required to submit three letters of recommendation from professors, peers, and anyone else who can vouch for my academic or professional prowess. Like most Informatics undergrads, I took I495 / I451 as your student and my group’s project dealt with designing a more user-friendly experience for students when they sign up for classes.

My ultimate career goal is to go in to Web Design or work as a Database Administrator. Through the HCI/d program I can earn the technical skills and experience necessary to work in either field. Because of the versatility of the Informatics degree and the diverse skillset of the faculty, I am excited to go back to school and pursue my many interests. As one of my favorite professors and because of your research interests in HCI/d and Information Modeling I have chosen you for one of my letters. Although my other references will be able to go into detail about my professional career, I feel that you would be able to best discuss my education and ability to achieve goals in a team-oriented academic environment

If you are willing to write a letter recommendation you may either complete a paper form which I will provide or you may submit the letter electronically. If you choose the latter, you will receive a notice shortly after I submit my on-line application through Onestart sometime in early May. The deadline for either paper or electronic letters is June 15th.

You may reach me anytime on my mobile at 555-555-5555 or via e-mail should you have any questions or if you’d like to discuss this in person. As a professor I know you’re extremely busy so I will follow-up with you on this on the 19th of this month should I not hear from you. Thank you in advance for your kind consideration, for your time, and most of all for providing me the opportunity to learn from you and reach my life’s goal of higher education.

Sincerely,

Merk
B.S. Informatics ‘09