[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Pokebis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:28 pm

Since I'm a child do I get a free warrant to say lol XD ^_^ GGCAKES WINSAUCE ROFLMOA EXTREEEEEME :3333 ^0^;;;;;;;;

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:19 pm

I am posting a funny .gif

see ya

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:18 pm

love u guyz
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:24 pm

Potter wrote:luvbbqsauce joo gaiz
thanks bwo

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:34 am

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 am

How da fuck a Merk get a letter of recommendation?

I just. Need. One. More. ughghhghghghghh~~~

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 03, 2011 8:27 am

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 am

You know what sucks? Sending out an e-mail asking for a letter of recommendation to a bunch of people only to realize after many, many proofreads that there is still one fairly glaring typo.

I swear to God if I don't get in to grad school because of one fucking recommendation letter imma be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed May 04, 2011 11:46 am

I have always considered myself lucky when it comes to technology. I feel lucky that I was born in a time where I witnessed the home computer become a reality for the majority of the first world. I feel lucky to have watched the internet grow from a niche technology to its near ubiquitous status today. And I feel lucky that I have been given an opportunity to shape the future of the web as a generation of people who have never known a world without the internet slowly start to become mired in the world of Information Technology we have today.

Throughout my experiences as a Systems Analyst with Apparatus and as a Lead Consultant with Indiana University, I have seen firsthand the countless frustrations the general user has had when using their computer. I have chosen to go into Human-Computer Interaction Design because I want to mitigate and prevent these problems. I want to help close the gap that has become the Digital Divide and ensure that the Human-Computer experience is conducive to education and productivity instead of confusion and frustration.

Academically I want to explore the fields of Web Design and Database Administration. With the advent of Cloud Computing and its entrance in to the public eye, it is clear that websites and databases are quickly becoming inseparable. As such, robust, efficient, and secure databases are as much of a critical component of good web design as a user interface. Through the HCI/d program I am confident that I will gain the skillset necessary to further the fields of Web Design and Database Administration and apply them to the world abroad.

One of the many things I have learned as an undergraduate is that the Informatics faculty is dedicated to the research of new ways humans interact with technology. Mehmet Dalkilic and his work in Bioinformatics and Database Theory, Dennis Groth’s work in project management and HCI/d, and Yuqing Wu’s courses in Information Representation have all inspired me to pursue a career in HCI/d. I hope to learn from and work with these professors through the Informatics graduate program as well as the remainder of the faculty. Additionally, my undergraduate peers have proven to be some of the most dedicated and fervent people I’ve met in the world of IT; it would be a great pleasure of mine to return to academia and study with these individuals.

As the world continues to develop and the Digital Divide closes, it is imperative that we create a seamless method for humans to utilize their technology. With an education in Human-Computer Interaction Design I can earn the skills necessary to help find a solution to the problem of frustrating and confusing user interfaces. From my own experiences I have seen that this is an incredibly important problem that needs to be addressed for the incoming generation. With what I’ll learn from the Informatics faculty and my peers, I hope to be lucky enough to be a part of the solution.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed May 04, 2011 12:47 pm

We should all be so lucky, Merk. We should all be so lucky.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed May 04, 2011 1:37 pm

I want Riot to critique my previous post before I submit it to the school.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed May 04, 2011 1:41 pm

tl;dr

my cat is chirping at a bird outside the window

now it flew off

he didn't notice and he's still looking for it

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed May 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Merk wrote:I have always considered myself lucky when it comes to technology. I feel lucky that I was born in a time where I witnessed the home computer become a reality for the majority of the first world. I feel lucky to have watched the internet grow from a niche technology to its near ubiquitous status today. And I feel lucky that I have been given an opportunity to shape the future of the web as a generation of people who have never known a world without the internet slowly start to become mired in the world of Information Technology we have today.

Throughout my experiences as a Systems Analyst with Apparatus and as a Lead Consultant with Indiana University, I have seen firsthand the countless frustrations the general user has had when using their computer. I have chosen to go into Human-Computer Interaction Design because I want to mitigate and prevent these problems. I want to help close the gap that has become the Digital Divide and ensure that the Human-Computer experience is conducive to education and productivity instead of confusion and frustration.

Academically I want to explore the fields of Web Design and Database Administration. With the advent of Cloud Computing and its entrance in to the public eye, it is clear that websites and databases are quickly becoming inseparable. As such, robust, efficient, and secure databases are as much of a critical component of good web design as a user interface. Through the HCI/d program I am confident that I will gain the skillset necessary to further the fields of Web Design and Database Administration and apply them to the world abroad.

One of the many things I have learned as an undergraduate is that the Informatics faculty is dedicated to the research of new ways humans interact with technology. Mehmet Dalkilic and his work in Bioinformatics and Database Theory, Dennis Groth’s work in project management and HCI/d, and Yuqing Wu’s courses in Information Representation have all inspired me to pursue a career in HCI/d. I hope to learn from and work with these professors through the Informatics graduate program as well as the remainder of the faculty. Additionally, my undergraduate peers have proven to be some of the most dedicated and fervent people I’ve met in the world of IT; it would be a great pleasure of mine to return to academia and study with these individuals.

As the world continues to develop and the Digital Divide closes, it is imperative that we create a seamless method for humans to utilize their technology. With an education in Human-Computer Interaction Design I can earn the skills necessary to help find a solution to the problem of frustrating and confusing user interfaces. From my own experiences I have seen that this is an incredibly important problem that needs to be addressed for the incoming generation. With what I’ll learn from the Informatics faculty and my peers, I hope to be lucky enough to be a part of the solution.
Replace those passive verbs.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed May 04, 2011 4:23 pm

mark i think its perfect : )

Pretty good! You have to remember it's going to be read by a bunch of computer nerds who care less about big words and more about technical prowess, so I think you do a pretty good job of namedropping (though I wonder if they will see it as brown-nosing) and being sufficiently unctuous overall. Merk, I feel lucky to have read this and hope to be a part of the solution and not a catalyst in perpetuating the digital divide.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed May 04, 2011 4:27 pm

AAA
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy