[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Merk » Wed May 11, 2011 12:03 pm

This always happens with videogames. I know a lot about most games and trying to defend the game industry or trying to prove why something is good or bad to fanboys is impossible because they have these ingrained thoughts and haven't opened up their mind to other ideas. Trying to tell my mother in law that games are more than bleeps, bloops and pixels made for spastic 11 year olds is impossible. Trying to convince my friends that PS3 isn't the best system is nearly equally impossible.
When it comes to down to games and shit that really just boils down to personal preference really. You're right that people generally don't keep an open mind and that's frustrating but luckily it's easy to spot these kinds of people and avoid debating with them. A lot of people, like your in-law, will form a quick opinion about something and not think twice ever because it's really something that's not important to them. I'm the same way with smartphones - I think they're the biggest fucking waste of money because the internet is so ubiquitous in my life that it's relaxing to me to be able to step out of the house with my phone and not having the means to satisfy my urge to check my e-mail, indyDDR, Facebook, etc. In my opinion, phones are meant for simply talking and texting, I don't need any bells and whistles and I certainly don't need a data plan.

You bring up a good ol' can of worms argument with your point about the PS3. This is something I believe we can debate and reflect on regarding the industry as a whole. I feel like there is a lot of homogeneity in this generation where effectively the two big systems are the same. In other generations there was a clear "winner" (NES, SNES, PS1, PS2) but it's really hard to define who is going to come out on top before the next line of consoles come out.

On paper the PS3 is a better system, that I can agree with. Blu-Ray is better than HD-DVD, the interface is better, their multiplayer service is free, and the controller is better. However in execution the PS3 has been a huge fuck up. The Playstation Network is awful, framerate drops are rampant, and all the hullabaloo about the PSN getting taken down and the prosecution of the hacker who cracked PS3's encryption have all been terrible PR for the console and for Sony.

Xbox has had it's fair share of disaster too. Red Ring of Death, anyone?

Game quality at this point doesn't even matter since both the Xbox and PS3 have nearly the same library. Game companies can't afford to pigeonhole their product into an exclusive sector of the market anymore - they need to make their investors happy. With production costs being what they are you see a lot of games trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Games are easier, shorter, developed for both systems, and sequel-ized to hell (and more often than not these sequels use the same engine, character models, and art created for the original). Or better yet, you have companies that pull slimy shit like selling you half a game and then making you buy the rest through DLC.

If we have to depend on independent developers for innovation and creativity and there's something incredibly fucked up with the industry.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed May 11, 2011 12:37 pm

You know I have never heard complaints of framerate lag or connection problems or anything from people who actually play PS3 online. Everybody who complains about it are Xbox people.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed May 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Yeah I guess it would be hard to complain about dial-up if you've never seen a broadband connection too.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed May 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Penny Arcade can be hit and miss, but today's strip had me roflin'.

www.penny-arcade.com/comic

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed May 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Merk wrote:Yeah I guess it would be hard to complain about dial-up if you've never seen a broadband connection too.
effing lol
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Thu May 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Merk wrote:Yeah I guess it would be hard to complain about dial-up if you've never seen a broadband connection too.
I managed to do it when I was younger.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue May 17, 2011 12:12 am

Today's adventures in online dating:
1435496662262774932.jpeg
1435496662262774932.jpeg (29.69 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
Fluffyumpkins: I am a crazy obsessive video game nerd. Can we be fwiends? :3
LuckyEights86: No. Why would you ask me that?
Fluffyumpkins: :3

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue May 17, 2011 1:34 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Today's adventures in online dating:
1435496662262774932.jpeg
Fluffyumpkins: I am a crazy obsessive video game nerd. Can we be fwiends? :3
LuckyEights86: No. Why would you ask me that?
Fluffyumpkins: :3

She has man hands.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 17, 2011 8:03 am

Yeah she's not disgusting but lol at her being offended that you really like video games.

What was your match percentage? You should post more of your OKcupid adventures.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 am

She was a mommy too. I just liked our conversation. Most of OKC is uneventful and fruitless.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue May 17, 2011 9:01 am

Fluffy,

I wish we had tried speed dating back when we were talking about it. I didn't have particularly high expectations for it other than I just thought the actual event might be fun...or at least entertaining. :P

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 17, 2011 9:03 am

I'm sure she has a nice mulatto baby. You should ask your roommate for OKcupid tips, he seems to be using the site well enough.

Speaking of which, this is racist as shit: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-r ... ople-like/

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 17, 2011 9:16 am

Ho wrote:Fluffy,

I wish we had tried speed dating back when we were talking about it. I didn't have particularly high expectations for it other than I just thought the actual event might be fun...or at least entertaining. :P
I know nothing on the topic of speed dating, but I'm going to throw out my ignorant claim that speed dating is equivalent to going to a bar without the hassle of approaching your desired bang partner. If you're physically attractive and/or you have a sparkle smile then you are going to get macked on no matter what you say. Speed dating is essentially for the desperate and I don't mean to be condescending when I say that.

I have literally no dating experience and I attribute that to being relatively attractive enough to the point where I didn't have to work (ie date) to be in the wonderful relationship I have today. Of course this was back in the day. If I was back on the hunt today I would have a hell of a time "getting my foot in the door" if you follow my drift. Sometimes having a superstar personality just isn't enough if you're clinically obese.

Narcissism.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue May 17, 2011 9:45 am

I just thought the speed dating thing would be an interesting and different way to meet a whole bunch of people in a short amount of time. And the non-bar aspect was also appealing. But at this stage I wouldn't be inline with the pretense of "dating." I'd feel like a wolf in the hen house or something. :P

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 17, 2011 9:53 am

Brian I like going off on little soap-box posts and I'll use whatever excuse I can to do so. Basically, I skim through a post, see some buzzword that I like and then go to town. In this case the buzzword was "speed dating." We should go on a double-date this weekend (Chad and I with you and whomever) to some fancy bar in Chicago. I can have a Scoth, Chad will have a Gin and Tonic, you will have a Martini, and your date will have an Eiffel Tower.

Mr. Ho I don't think you find me as clever as I'd like, maybe it's a generational thing.