[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Pokebis » Thu May 15, 2014 1:48 am

It's alright. I'm recovering from a horrible case of not-having-really-learned-math-in-high-school. This past year has been pretty light for me, but it should be picking up this fall. Regardless of what happens I've learned a lot and made a lot of contacts and hope to continue doing that.
It's summer now and I'm going to be working over the summer as either a teacher or TA for a couple months in their summer camp program's Game Design courses.
Hoping next year goes well because I might be able to start getting my foot in the door if it does go well. If it doesn't I might just be screwed financially because of huge amounts of debt, but I'm told I'm young and don't have to worry about it because I'll have time to fix problems or something. I don't know about all of that since this is my first time dealing with money so it's scary. :?

But right now it's goin' fine I think, just need to keep trying to improve my math skills and I can probably do fine.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu May 15, 2014 9:44 am

Pokebis wrote:It's alright. I'm recovering from a horrible case of not-having-really-learned-math-in-high-school. This past year has been pretty light for me, but it should be picking up this fall. Regardless of what happens I've learned a lot and made a lot of contacts and hope to continue doing that.
It's summer now and I'm going to be working over the summer as either a teacher or TA for a couple months in their summer camp program's Game Design courses.
Hoping next year goes well because I might be able to start getting my foot in the door if it does go well. If it doesn't I might just be screwed financially because of huge amounts of debt, but I'm told I'm young and don't have to worry about it because I'll have time to fix problems or something. I don't know about all of that since this is my first time dealing with money so it's scary. :?

But right now it's goin' fine I think, just need to keep trying to improve my math skills and I can probably do fine.
Money can be a tough one for sure. If I had only one piece of advice to give, it would be not letting credit card debt run away from you. I know too many people that spent years paying off credit card balances with ridiculous added charges.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu May 15, 2014 11:24 am

Also, never give lenders or creditors access to your bank account.

You aren't having to take out private student loans, are you?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Thu May 15, 2014 6:42 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:Also, never give lenders or creditors access to your bank account.

Actually I and most of my peers are because we basically have to.
How fucked am I?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu May 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Pokebis wrote:
SoDeepPolaris wrote:Also, never give lenders or creditors access to your bank account.

How fucked am I?
6/10

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri May 16, 2014 12:46 am

Pokebis wrote:

How fucked am I?
Depends on your likelihood to find professional work after school, what that salary would be, and how ridiculous your interest rates are. It sucks that institutions are being allowed to hike tuition rates to ridiculous heights for job prospects that will likely never pay back those loans realistically.

I guess your training program or school isn't federal aid eligible?

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Fri May 16, 2014 12:48 am

SoDeepPolaris wrote:I guess your training program or school isn't federal aid eligible?
It actually is, but it barely covers much of my tuition at all and my parents won't do Parent Plus.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri May 16, 2014 12:53 am

Pokebis wrote:
SoDeepPolaris wrote:I guess your training program or school isn't federal aid eligible?
It actually is, but it barely covers much of my tuition at all and my parents won't do Parent Plus.
And what do you hope to do post-school? Are there breaks where you can earn some money to at least pay the interest?

I'm also not an expert though so...

Also, I'm bitter that the entire savings I've accumulated from working since earning my bachelors is going to be swallowed up by one semester of med school. The gov'ment footing education loans has royally fucked tuition in this country.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Fri May 16, 2014 1:00 am

I think I get 6 months of not-being in full time education after graduating before they start charging me anything. I've heard they're lenient if you explain situations to them, but I'm not sure. Regardless, the more I wait the more the interest goes up. :(

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Sat May 17, 2014 2:59 am

I played Puzzle Strike today. It was pretty neat!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat May 17, 2014 7:32 am

After a few months out of college I can say that the cost of higher education is bullshit at this point since public schools don't turn out anybody employable for anything outside of service jobs. I was EXTREMELY lucky and to this day am extremely grateful that I was able to attend college without having to take out a loan, whereas most people that I know either take out loans cause they have no choice or in the case of people like my ex are very financially unsound. What did help me quite a bit though was that I would apply for every scholarship that I was eligible for and I recommend that wholeheartedly more than anything else. Also, Fluffy covered some other points that I need not touch upon again.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun May 18, 2014 6:52 pm

http://bulchyc.itch.io/americlap

Show your patriotic, you idiot foreign.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun May 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Pokebis wrote:I played Puzzle Strike today. It was pretty neat!
I like that game. When I bought it, Merk told everyone it was a game made by a pedophile so none of my friends would play it with me.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm

merk likes babbies
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon May 19, 2014 7:59 am

If you've just graduated high school and you have no idea what you want to do with your life for the love of God please go to an in-state school so that when you inevitably fuck up you'll be paying less tuition than if you went to somewhere outside of your state. If you know what you want to do with your life please skip college entirely (if your field allows it) and get certs or whatever training you need to break into your field of interest, if you're fortunate to end up with an employer who does tuition reimbursement then you've hit the goldmine and are free to go about with your dreams of having a degree.

Whatever you do don't go to a for-profit college or culinary school. University of Phoenix and DeVry are awful, awful institutions and you'll be laughed at by some HR asshole if you show up and have one of those schools on your resume. Much like a Mid-Level Marketing scam, these schools prey on the hopes and dreams of the desperate except instead of scamming you out of $500 or whatever they instead will put you into what is essentially indentured servitude for the rest of your life.

And yes Sirlin is a bad person who makes bad games with bad comeback mechanics. He also dabbles in the diddling which is some repugnant shit if you ask me.