Inappropriate?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Appropriate?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 14

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Tue May 08, 2007 8:13 pm

if your kids misbehave its because you dont beat them enough
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Tue May 08, 2007 9:24 pm

hascoolnickname wrote:if your kids misbehave its because you dont beat them enough
Heh, funny you mention that. Perhaps the rise in misbehaving children is tied to newer ideas that spanking kids is child abuse. I know when I was a kid I always thought twice about crossing my dad...if I did, I knew I'd get spanked and wind up in my room the rest of the day. None of that 5 minute sit in the corner bullshit.
I'm not endorsing beating the fuck out of a child, but some kids deserve a good spanking from time to time. Depends on the kid though...some of them don't need it, and verbal or consequence oriented discipline seems to work fine.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Tue May 08, 2007 10:38 pm

Original Sin wrote:if I could be taught values, I don't see why America's youth is in such trouble. I really don't.
Rap, duh. :P

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Fri May 11, 2007 10:13 am

ShammerS wrote:Here's a fact for you to chew on: in the business world, if you cuss like a sailor because Daddy let you hear it all the time AND never told you it wasn't any good, you're...fucked.

There are plenty of little white trash bastards running around with fowl mouths directed at anyone and everyone. Cursing and being crewd can fit perfectly in a group dynamic (read: all of my friends in private); to not know where its appropriate and when to use it is the problem. Radio programs like these help blur that line and make parents have to work that much harder to reinforce why it's a shitty thing to do to act / talk like that in a world in which you wish to succeed.

The problem is class. Learn it, teach it, and reap the benefits. Don't, and suffer in more ways than one.

You know, stay classy San Diego.
That's entirely accurate.

It's extreme liberals that are too concerned with human rights to realize they are destroying this nation in doing so. Given, our nation was founded with a sense of enlightenment, but not to such an extreme degree. There is always a gray area when it comes to something like this. The goal our forefathers sought was a future sustained in that gray area.
When you take an issue like that, you can look at it from different perspectives. Some may perceive in such a way to cause disdain among the rest (me).
Now, understand me, I'm all about human rights. However, if our forefathers wanted complete freedom, they'd have designed it that way. They, fortunately, were smarter than that.

I like what Shammers said. My brother's two kids now have to be taught harder and watched more carefully because of the fact that they hear language on the TV, Radio etc. Now, I know my brother, and he won't let them grow up without knowing the proper time for that, etc.

It would be so much better for the younger generation, the people replacing us, the ones who take EVERYTHING we say to heart....so much better if we didn't have to worry about silly little things like that, which can clearly be avoided.

When I do have kids, here in not too long, I will do my best to raise them the best I can. I will deal with the unnecessary matter on TV and the radio. I will (sarcastically) thank those who act and speak in such ways to (attempt to) degrade my child(s) mind.

Thank you :roll:

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Fri May 11, 2007 5:22 pm

aspen wrote: I like what Shammers said. My brother's two kids now have to be taught harder and watched more carefully because of the fact that they hear language on the TV, Radio etc. Now, I know my brother, and he won't let them grow up without knowing the proper time for that, etc.

Thank you :roll:
You're going to watch them more carefully over something they are going to hear at school and amongst their peers regardless? They should be watched carefully regardless of what's on TV.
The stuff on TV, and on the radio isn't bad enough to really worry about anyway. We're already under very strict rules on censorship when compared to the rest of the world.
I don't think issues with the media have really gotten any worse, we just pay more attention to them now than we used to. It seems to be a growing trend in this country to blame the media about everything that goes wrong with our youth. Personally, I think it's more of a decay in family values than the media. So many parents these days either don't have time, or just don't care enough to raise their kids properly. This could be blamed on a number of things, none of which are as easy to fix as censoring the TV or the radio. People have cursed like sailors around children for years, I don't see why it's suddenly a huge deal now, when kids have been raised fine in the past.
Personally, I think some people just shouldn't have kids...plain and simple. If you don't have the time, the knowledge, or aren't willing to sacrifice...then hell, don't have 'em. That would solve a lot of problems. Save the parenting for the people who feel they can do it. Of course, this also raises a lot of hot topics, such as contraception, sexual educaton and abortion.
There really isn't an easy answer, especially in a country that's so ethnically, religiously and financially diverse.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sat May 12, 2007 3:03 pm

Well, I'm certainly no psychologist or expert in child care, but I'd imagine that censorship is not the answer.

If you constantly monitor your child and jump on him whenever he messes up and prevent him from doing anything bad, then you are just showing that you don't trust him. Then he'll just be mad at you and as soon as he is out of your sight he'll do it anyway just to spite you.

If you trust your child and give him responsibility and trust then he'll make the right choice. Or he'll make the wrong choice and learn from his mistake :)
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat May 12, 2007 4:12 pm

BigBadOrc wrote:Well, I'm certainly no psychologist or expert in child care, but I'd imagine that censorship is not the answer.

If you constantly monitor your child and jump on him whenever he messes up and prevent him from doing anything bad, then you are just showing that you don't trust him. Then he'll just be mad at you and as soon as he is out of your sight he'll do it anyway just to spite you.

If you trust your child and give him responsibility and trust then he'll make the right choice. Or he'll make the wrong choice and learn from his mistake :)
Trust is defenitely a big issue in raising a child, and I don't believe that sheltering a child is ever the answer. The way I see it, they're going to find out about this stuff regardless, one way or the other...I'd rather have them learn it and adjust to it gradually, then find out about it all at once when they get older and, oh I dunno....have a driver's liscence, older friends, and a sex drive.
There's a balance...you shouldn't let them do whatever the want, but at the same time, you shouldn't distrust them and shelter them. From what I've seen, the later usually leads to rebellion. Almost every kid I've known that's been sheltered has rebelled against their parents in some way...some were extremely drastic, especially when it comes to sexuality and religion.