Harry Potter! (SPOILERS)

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:32 pm

The book was good, the only crappy part was there was a new plot twist at the end of every chapter. 6 and 4 were both better.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:39 pm

hmm, i thought 6 got pretty anti climatic by the end... my favorite was 5 (the movie COMPLETLY screwed up the ending)
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:47 pm

5 is one of my least favorites, but thats because I can't empathize with harry. He's such an ass hole the whole time, it makes it really hard to read. He's just a stupid angsty bitch. Plus, after the 4th movie, I can't bring myself to watching harry potter in film again.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:50 pm

ooooh the third movie i didnt even want to watch, i still havent seen the whole thing...

ITS AWFUL

the newer movies have to move fast just to keep it resonable, but they also cut out alot of good stuff :(

oh and i love flakk's sig
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:55 am

Pheonixguy wrote:oh and i love flakk's sig

This one? I found it to be kind of cool in an assholeish way.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:51 pm

lgolem wrote:

I narrowly missed out on spoiling the book for myself yesterday, I had only gotten through a few of those deaths and just managed to look away after realizing what it said and after seeing that Wormtail died (which I already knew). Phew, spoiler avoided.

My take on the book: I thought it was good, maybe a little too much effort put into the happy ending, it was a little too BS-ish near the end with all the plot twists. I was also confused about a few things:

1) How exactly did Harry come to have the Elder Wand? From his explanation to Voldemort, he already had it, but then the wand came to him from Voldemort?

and

2) How did Harry manage to live? I thought they both needed to die? Or did Voldemort destroy the part of his soul in Harry when he tried to kill him, and that's why he could kill Voldemort?

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:02 pm

danc1005 wrote:
lgolem wrote:

I narrowly missed out on spoiling the book for myself yesterday, I had only gotten through a few of those deaths and just managed to look away after realizing what it said and after seeing that Wormtail died (which I already knew). Phew, spoiler avoided.

My take on the book: I thought it was good, maybe a little too much effort put into the happy ending, it was a little too BS-ish near the end with all the plot twists. I was also confused about a few things:

1) How exactly did Harry come to have the Elder Wand? From his explanation to Voldemort, he already had it, but then the wand came to him from Voldemort?

and

2) How did Harry manage to live? I thought they both needed to die? Or did Voldemort destroy the part of his soul in Harry when he tried to kill him, and that's why he could kill Voldemort?
1) Malfoy had it, and then harry took malfoys wand

2)by willingly sacrificing himself and using the ressurection stone he only killed the horcrux in harry, and when he was 'dead' he was only dreaming and talking to the dead dumbledore

i think

oh and i love tons of plot twists! maybe i just love melodramatic things...
You will be baked

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:40 pm

Pheonixguy wrote:1) Malfoy had it, and then harry took malfoys wand
But you see, that's what I thought too, but then after Voldemort's spell backfires on him, it says the Elder Wand flew up into the air and into Harry's hand, which makes it sound like Voldemort had it. Plus, Malfoy's wand is hawthorn, not elder. Maybe Harry was making it up to make Voldemort unsure?

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:47 pm

The wand buried with Dumbledore was the Elder Wand. Malfoy disarmed him at the end of book 6, and then Dumbledore died, so the wand "thought" it's new master was Draco. Voldemort stole the Elder Wand from Dumbledore's tomb, and was using it. Harry stole Draco's wand in the Malfoy Manor, and (somehow), the Deathstick thought "Harry forcibly took a wand from Malfoy, he is now the owner of me" Then, in facing Voldemort, Harry disarmed him and the wand went to it's "true owner"

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:14 pm

danc1005 wrote:
Pheonixguy wrote:1) Malfoy had it, and then harry took malfoys wand
But you see, that's what I thought too, but then after Voldemort's spell backfires on him, it says the Elder Wand flew up into the air and into Harry's hand, which makes it sound like Voldemort had it. Plus, Malfoy's wand is hawthorn, not elder. Maybe Harry was making it up to make Voldemort unsure?
voldemort phisically had it, but as taqa said it thought it was harrys. so when voldemort attacked harry the wand didnt want to hurt its master.
You will be baked

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:57 pm

yeah there was a line break
and if you can read two lines of text at once
you should have no trouble digesting all these
before stopping before reading
this one

amirite?
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Jizzon

Post by Jizzon » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:55 pm

hascoolnickname wrote:yeah there was a line break
and if you can read two lines of text at once
you should have no trouble digesting all these
before stopping before reading
this one

amirite?
Since you asked, no. Take, for example:

it was james
he used a knife
he waited until dark

vs:

james was the one who committed the terrible murder
he did it with a very sharp butcher knife once
it was dark enough to get away undetected

Most people have the ability to "absorb" simple sentences; seeing the forest for the trees would be a good way to think about it. Take for example the method of Photo Reading, a practiced enhancement of this ability to include progressively larger passages, including entire paragraphs and pages at once, depending on skill. It's a natural, inborn ability to gather information faster visually with practice. The general populace of regular readers (including those who, say, read forums) can see something as simple as "Voldemort kills Snape" and other three-word sentences and have it stick with them for long enough to register what it says. What you have above to illustrate your...point...consists of a few 2-5 word sentences, which can be scanned rather easily, and several larger sentences for contrast. They are not even complete ideas, and the line breaks feel forced and choppy. This is a bit harder to scan for most readers than a spoiler post consisting of sentences containing almost entirely five words or less, don't you think?

That said, you (meaning everyone reading this) still need to respect others enough to give ample warning when you are going to post spoilers. Don't pretend that the idea that a line break is sufficient space to make it okay, because it's rude, and it insults the intelligence of the readers.

If people don't want to discuss Harry Potter here, I'll close the thread. A rebuttal to a mod post is fine in the form of another topic, or better yet a PM, but it shouldn't be clogging up a perfectly good thread. That does in fact make me a bit of a hypocrite here, admittedly, but the point needs to be made.

Back on topic! Any bets on how long it will take JKR to made side stories? She left enough unknown at the end of the series to do a decent follow-up on the other characters, at least as a short story...and there's so much info for things like the history of Magic, or the founding of Hogwart's...
Last edited by Jizzon on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage others.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:30 pm

harry potter lol!
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:37 am

Jizzon wrote:If people don't want to discuss Harry Potter here, I'll close the thread. A rebuttal to a mod post is fine in the form of another topic, or better yet a PM, but it shouldn't be clogging up a perfectly good thread. That does in fact make me a bit of a hypocrite here, admittedly, but the point needs to be made.
I'm more than happy to discuss the recent Harry Potter novel, or anything related to the works of J.K. Rowling, in this topic/thread. I do not think a whole thread needs to be made for one post. This is an internet message board, an open open discussion of a topic in a thread. When you have a discussion, the contents do seem to slightly deviate from time to time. Pointless threads clog up the board, and if you want to confront me in the form of private messages feel free to do so. Tossing bad ratings my way will not prove a point. I'm more than mature enough not to resent you for doing so but I am also more than mature enough not to be intimidated by idea of losing my silly elitist ranking of "heavy" on a message board pertaining to a rhythm game. No offense meant.
Jizzon wrote:That said, you (meaning everyone reading this) still need to respect others enough to give ample warning when you are going to post spoilers. Don't pretend that the idea that a line break is sufficient space to make it okay, because it's rude, and it insults the intelligence of the readers.
I respected the readers intelligence enough to think that if they were going to be reading a book, and cared about it as passionately as you seem to, they would not be going on the internet looking at things titled "harry potter," and if they did the would do it with caution. I thought they would have been saving their speed reading for the book, not a post that starts off with "obligatory post of spoilers@@" which is meant to catch the eye of the reader and help prevent spoiling, as it were, the novel.
Jizzon wrote:Back on topic! Any bets on how long it will take JKR to made side stories? She left enough unknown at the end of the series to do a decent follow-up on the other characters, at least as a short story...and there's so much info for things like the history of Magic, or the founding of Hogwart's...
Rowling claims that she wrote the last chapter of the book in 1990, in 2000 she said she had no plans to write any books after the 7th. Six days ago, however, msnbc ran a story titled Stop your sobbing! More Potter to come. While not a follow up to Deathly Hollows, it will include some information that you could count as "side stories." My bet? If anytime this year it will be in the holiday season (doubt it), and if not in 2008 it will be early 2009. Since it is not a long novel, Rowling cannot milk her fan base every so often as she did with her previous novels with claims of writers block or changing the story or some other insignificant fact that should not be in the media. It's a story, the only thing I care about is the story, not how poorly Rowling wrote it. She knows exactly what she's doing, as shown by a significant sum of money she's made off the whole series.

lol @ super serious posts about a book
let me spoil the best selling book of all time if you haven't read it yet
jesus dies lol
jesus lives olol
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:35 am

hascoolnickname wrote:[I respected the readers intelligence enough to think that if they were going to be reading a book, and cared about it as passionately as you seem to, they would not be going on the internet looking at things titled "harry potter," and if they did the would do it with caution. I thought they would have been saving their speed reading for the book, not a post that starts off with "obligatory post of spoilers@@" which is meant to catch the eye of the reader and help prevent spoiling, as it were, the novel.
And that's EXACTLY why I didn't flame you at all, or agree with Jizzon. How stupid do you have to be to go the Harry Potter thread of ANY site, if you're trying to avoid spoilers? Suggesting that a reader would do that, Jizzon, is insulting their intelligence.