Star Trek

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Star Trek

Post by ShammerS » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:14 am

Are there any other Trekkies out there besides myself? I'm currently finishing the entire Original Series, and find most of the episodes..well ahead of their time. Watching this show has been an absolute delight, mostly due to phenomenal writing, acting, and Kirk being a badass. My next goal is a hefty one - watch every episode of TNG.

J.J. Abrams is directing Star Trek XI, due summer next year, in which the original Enterprise crew are shown during their days at the academy and whatnot (pre-TOS).

Your thoughts? Speculation? Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a forum topic.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:10 am

The original Star Trek is one of the top 3 science fiction shows ever made (Lost and The Twilight Zone would be my other 2 picks). TNG was OK, but I lost interest after that. Those original episodes were fantastic though.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:11 am

Never been a huge fan of Star Trek, but I'm working on a MMO in the Telecom Department under a professor who wrote for Star Trek (and Charlie's Angels lulz) for like 5 years and won some awards for it. =)

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:21 am

My dad watched it all the time when it was new and me and my brothers watched along with him. Rofl.. I was a lil kid and always thought it was "Star Track" because I didn't know what a trek was. Most of the movies are pretty good too.. except the last one :(

But there's a new one coming out next christmas, I think it's got a completely different cast ;x

I'd recommend the books, I remember some of them being quite good. Bah, I can't find it on amazon right now. There are a lot of shitty wanna be books out there, but the actual numbered series are good. Went up to like 50+ in both original and TNG.
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Personally, I don't care for Star Trek. However, there is one scene that even I must admit was truly epic!
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:15 am

Riot wrote:Never been a huge fan of Star Trek, but I'm working on a MMO in the Telecom Department under a professor who wrote for Star Trek (and Charlie's Angels lulz) for like 5 years and won some awards for it. =)
What is the the professor's name? I'd be curious as to which episodes in particular they worked on.

Interesting tidbit: IU's Lilly Library has Gene Roddenberry's original prospectus for the series, which he sold to DesiLu Productions in 1964. That baby is a gem.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:02 pm

ShammerS wrote:
Riot wrote:Never been a huge fan of Star Trek, but I'm working on a MMO in the Telecom Department under a professor who wrote for Star Trek (and Charlie's Angels lulz) for like 5 years and won some awards for it. =)
What is the the professor's name? I'd be curious as to which episodes in particular they worked on.

Interesting tidbit: IU's Lilly Library has Gene Roddenberry's original prospectus for the series, which he sold to DesiLu Productions in 1964. That baby is a gem.
Lee Sheldon. I'm not sure exactly, but for some reason "The Next Generation" sticks out in my mind....

Oh wait, yeah I just found this:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0791044/

I guess it wasn't for like 5 years, I didn't know exactly how long he worked on it. But I do think he won some writing award sometime.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:31 am

Um, I figure that some people here may want to know that Joost has the original series available for free.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:47 am

Amp Divorax wrote:Um, Trek fans too cheap to buy the DVDs rejoice. Joost has the first 3 seasons of the original series available for viewing for free.
I see you edited your post from earlier. Someone must've turned you on to the fact that TOS fell a bit short of its stated "5 year mission." :)

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Ho wrote:
Amp Divorax wrote:Um, Trek fans too cheap to buy the DVDs rejoice. Joost has the first 3 seasons of the original series available for viewing for free.
I see you edited your post from earlier. Someone must've turned you on to the fact that TOS fell a bit short of its stated "5 year mission." :)
Yea, Joost stated it that way and I didn't realize it was incorrect until later. (If any diehard Trek fan would have seen this I would probably have been flamed hardcore for it.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:17 pm

I am a big trekie i have all 10 movies and the borg, q, time travel, and captians pick box sets. My fav episode was "Best of both world" Part one and 2 from TNG.
Warning incoming game!

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:20 am

Great News!!!

CBS is now showing every episode of The Original Series on their website. If you haven't seen the show before, now is a perfect opportunity to check them out with ease. Personal Favorites: The City on the Edge of Forever (S.1), Devil in the Dark (S.1), The Apple (S.2)

http://www.cbs.com/classics/star_trek/v ... 93214&cc=0

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:52 am

ShammerS wrote:Great News!!!

CBS is now showing every episode of The Original Series on their website. If you haven't seen the show before, now is a perfect opportunity to check them out with ease. Personal Favorites: The City on the Edge of Forever (S.1), Devil in the Dark (S.1), The Apple (S.2)

http://www.cbs.com/classics/star_trek/v ... 93214&cc=0
ZOMG! They got The Twilight Zone!!! This site is EPIC WIN!
Memorable 2016 quotes:

hermione
Warning

Post by hermione » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:41 am

Star Trek is to unrealistic for my taste.
I'm prettier than you :)

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:08 am

Captain Kirk knows how to treat the ladies:
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1802917