OH THOSE MORNING JITTERS

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: OH THOSE MORNING JITTERS

Post by MonMotha » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:13 pm

While some of that is the interest savings from paying more frequently, a good chunk of that is the complete extra payment that works out to every year. (12 monthly payments vs. 26 bi-weekly payments, compare with e.g. 24 semi-monthly payments).

Still a very good idea if it works for you, especially since most people are paid at least bi-weekly, anyway.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:59 am

I'm on chapter 13 out of 17 in my CCNP ROUTE book, trying to do a chapter a week. It looks like the remaining material is on BGP and then it ends with some security and IPv6 stuff. Really looking forward to finishing this book up by the end of April and then hopefully passing the ROUTE exam by the end of May.

And then it's on to SWITCH which is going to be a bitch. MonMotha I could really use your switch lab again when the time comes.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:15 pm

(He made it out of Chapter 11.) ;)

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:30 pm

OK. I only have a couple Cisco switches, you know, right?

I do also have a crap-ton of routers of various vendors.

Have fun with BGP. Lots of knobs on that thing...
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:45 am

I'm hoping two Cisco switches and your Brocade (I think?) switch will be enough. I'm not sure what exact material is covered in SWITCH, I'd imagine it's the same shit in the CCNA just more in-depth.

I appreciate any and all help you can give!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:44 am

For switches, I have a Cisco 2950 (L2) and 3550 (L3), 4x Brocade FCX-S series (full L3 but no BGP), a couple of Brocade/Foundry FWS series (minimal L3), a Brocade/Foundry FGS (minimal L3), a Brocade/Foundry FESX4-PREM (full L3 including BGP, but due to someone else), an HP Procurve 2626 (L2), and on old 3Com SuperStack II (L2).

For routers, I have, in addition to the "full L3" switches, which are essentially routers that can't take a full Internet DFZ worth of routes, a Brocade CER2000-ADVPREM (full L3 including BGP + MPLS, on loan to me and may need to be returned at any time), a Cisco 3745, 2x Cisco 2651XM, a Cisco 2811, and a Cisco 2851. You can also do voice and ATM (including voice over ATM) on a couple of the the Cisco routers, if you want.

I've also had decent luck using BIRD on Linux for routing. The syntax is Juniper-like.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:48 am

MonMotha wrote:For switches, I have a Cisco 2950 (L2) and 3550 (L3), 4x Brocade FCX-S series (full L3 but no BGP), a couple of Brocade/Foundry FWS series (minimal L3), a Brocade/Foundry FGS (minimal L3), a Brocade/Foundry FESX4-PREM (full L3 including BGP, but due to someone else), an HP Procurve 2626 (L2), and on old 3Com SuperStack II (L2).

For routers, I have, in addition to the "full L3" switches, which are essentially routers that can't take a full Internet DFZ worth of routes, a Brocade CER2000-ADVPREM (full L3 including BGP + MPLS, on loan to me and may need to be returned at any time), a Cisco 3745, 2x Cisco 2651XM, a Cisco 2811, and a Cisco 2851. You can also do voice and ATM (including voice over ATM) on a couple of the the Cisco routers, if you want.

I've also had decent luck using BIRD on Linux for routing. The syntax is Juniper-like.
Hearing all of this makes me glad I don't work with Cisco equipment in a warzone anymore.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:40 am

While I'm no fan of Cisco, I can't say I've had a problem with their equipment. The stuff mentioned above seems reasonably robust and well supported. I mean, some of it's going on 15 years old, and it 1) still works, and 2) still has somewhat recent versions of IOS available.

If anything, the problem with Cisco's equipment is that there's just too damn many options. They surely have a product that does exactly what you want, but good luck figuring out what it is and acquiring it.

This is actually one reason I've long liked Foundry/Brocade. They have a much smaller product line and tend to try to make it applicable to multiple usage scenarios rather than specializing the heck out of it all. They also play in a more limited market. They basically just push packets, at this point. Cisco is great if you have more unusual or "high touch" needs, though. I've not gotten to play much with Juniper, but I know they tend to come in somewhere in the middle of those two.

Now Extreme, there's a vendor who's equipment I don't generally like to work with...
A normality test:
+++ATH

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:57 am

If it's any consolation I hate all vendors but Cisco has by far the largest market-share and if you want to get ahead in life you sometimes have to suck the biggest dick out there.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:44 pm

In terms of Juniper, at one point I did look at their equipment, but the backdoors I have seen with their equipment convinced me to use something else for my router and firewall solutions. (https://gigaom.com/2013/12/29/nsas-back ... nd-huawei/ has more info on this.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:33 pm

Finished up all the BGP content last week, it's pretty good stuff! Lots of neat stuff you can do with it and it plays nice with route-maps.

God damn I love route-maps.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:07 pm

Finished the rest of the ol' book yesterday with some IPv6 BPG, Routing protocol authentication, and uRPF. Now it's nothing but review for the next couple of weeks until I am 100% comfortable with the material.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 am

Welp, it's officially real:

Exam
300-101: Implementing Cisco IP Routing
Language: English
Exam Length: 140 minutes

Appointment
Saturday, May 16, 2015
Start Time: 01:30 PM EDT
Get Directions

Time to crush some guts over the next 3 weeks and study my ass off.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:07 am

Do your best, senpai!

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:10 am

Man, I'll try! I hope I get it on the first try because I don't want to have to pay another $250!

MonMotha did you ever find the IPTV wholesaler who were looking for?!?!