Hot Topic or Fashionably Myopic? You decide!

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:49 am

hay guyz i hurd this was about gettin together in ft wayne

Anyway, I might be able to come up next week, I might even be able to drag along a friend d=^0

I know, I have friends, Armageddon must be coming.

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:54 am

TaQa wrote:Armageddon must be coming.
is he bringing pizza?

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:57 am

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution wrote:I wonder how Adam's fuck gay video went?

Yeah, completely off topic.
I don't think it's completely off topic. It's media from when we got together in Fort Wayne, so it's insanely on topic, especially compared to the previous page of posts.

Here's the "fuck gay video", as you so elegantly phrased it.

Background info on the vid for those who don't know

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:02 am

I hate Hot Topic. Not because of the clothes they sell, because of the stance they take. Punk clothing started not only as a statement, but also because they were dirt poor. They safety-pinned shirts together because they coulden't afford another shirt. Now you walk into HT and can buy a DESIGNER safety pin for $3. The punk "culture" is now available to anybody who's willing to shell out $50 for a crappy pair of pants. Hot Topic is the new Gap. Kids go in, they're all "lookit me! I'm hardcore crazy because I have a shirt with prefabricated holes in it! And it only cost $30!"
Last edited by Ebola Gay on Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures sure are awesome.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:16 am

I really don't care about the stance thing, I go in there, occasionally talk to the people I know, and if I happen to like something, I buy it. Even that's pretty rare. I usually buy shirts anyway, the pants are pretty over priced. But then, on a business standpoint, they have a monopoly of the market here. Any store would do the same thing, if not worse.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:19 am

Ebola Gay wrote:I hate Hot Topic. Not because of the clothes they sell, because of the stance they take. Punk clothing started not only as a statement, but also because they were dirt poor. They safety-pinned shirts together because they coulden't afford another shirt. Now you walk into HT and can buy a DESIGNER safety pin for $3. The punk "culture" is now available to anybody who's willing to shell out $50 for a crappy pair of pants. Hot Topic is the new Gap. Kids go in, they're all "lookit me! I'm hardcore crazy because I have a shirt with prefabricated holes in it! And it only cost $30!"
In that case you'll be happy to learn that their sales are falling (if it asks for registration enter some bogus email) and the company isn't doing as well as it used to.

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard

Post by Ebola Gay » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:27 am

Original Sin wrote:I really don't care about the stance thing, I go in there, occasionally talk to the people I know, and if I happen to like something, I buy it. Even that's pretty rare. I usually buy shirts anyway, the pants are pretty over priced. But then, on a business standpoint, they have a monopoly of the market here. Any store would do the same thing, if not worse.
Yeah, I hear ya. But the whole thing just reeks of hipocrisy. People being different only by buying something hundreds of other people can buy (and have), and saying "screw the man", while giving their cash to a huge corporation. Yes, business wise, Hot Topic's the best thing ever. But it's rotting the "culture" from the inside out.

"You arn't different until you buy these pants"

I dunno, maybe I'm just being lame or something.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:36 am

I know what you're saying, but the fact is, they're a corporation. They'll do whatever sells, just like any retailer. If you look into any corporation, you'll find the same thing. They all reek.
I know there's lots of kids that look at it as 'rebellion,' and too a point it is, if you're just rebelling against parents or whatever. But that's not why I wear it. I just happen to like the way it looks, and I buy what I feel is fashionable. I never wanted to be a rebel, and never expected to be labeled as that. I didn't want to be 'different,' but the fact was, I already was different, and I actually got a lot more respect wearing what I wanted to, than trying to blend in like I did for so many years before. But, that was before being 'goth' became trendy. Now people shop at hot topic because it's 'different,' and to set the record straight, I'm not defending the kids who just want to look different. I'm defending the ones who wear what they like, for that reason: That they like it.
I'm defending free choice over conformity, not rebellion against conformity.

Erica6924
Standard
Standard

Post by Erica6924 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:29 am

*cough* excuse me?! *cough cough* EXCUSE ME! *clears throat* I DO believe this thread is about the fort wayne peeps getting together.. Yeah Not about hot topic,, or anything else. So if you guys wish to partake in that conversation..Why not go make a new thread instead of killing this one? Just a suggestion? Yeah?
~*Erica*~

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:23 pm

If someone throws insults at me, I'm going to reply in the thread I was insulted in, thank you. They're making conversation, I'm responding.
When the comments stop coming, I'll stop talking about it.

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard

Post by Ebola Gay » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:09 pm

Original Sin wrote:I just happen to like the way it looks, and I buy what I feel is fashionable.
I can respect that. I've realized though, in the past few months, that I just have a strange way of thinking, which I will try to summerize: I hate being associated with stupid people in any way. When I say any way, I mean ANY way, be it fashion, entertainment, speech, etc.

Strange, I know.

A fine example of this is our current topic: cloathing. Enter the HT kiddy: In my mind, a majority of them are stupid beings. They wearing the same clothing as I makes my brain put ME in the same grouping as them, thus, I am associated with stupid people. Even if it's entirely in my mind, this is a fate I feel I cannot endure. As a way out, I branch out from HT clothing into something simular, but something I do not feel stupid people wear.

It's an illogical/moronic way of thinking, I know. I don't even know how I started thinking like this. But this, as well as my other points I outlined in previous posts, is why I dislike Hot Topic.
Erica6924 wrote:*cough* excuse me?! *cough cough* EXCUSE ME! *clears throat* I DO believe this thread is about the fort wayne peeps getting together.. Yeah Not about hot topic,, or anything else. So if you guys wish to partake in that conversation..Why not go make a new thread instead of killing this one? Just a suggestion? Yeah?
OMG Too much civilized discussion! This is a problem we MUST ADDRESS!!

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:21 pm

-split from the Fort Wayne getting together thread-

Continue discussion about clothing in here. When splitting the thread I accidentally clicked the wrong button and brought some of the posts actualy relevant to Getting Together over here, so just ignore those.

GaKki
Standard
Standard

Re: Hot Topic or Fashionably Myopic? You decide!

Post by GaKki » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:36 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:punks, goths, prepubescents, and preps.
Well put.What is "Fash-i-on-a-bly My-o-pic"? Never heard of such a thing.

LikeableRodent

Re: Hot Topic or Fashionably Myopic? You decide!

Post by LikeableRodent » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:23 pm

GaKki wrote:What is "Fash-i-on-a-bly My-o-pic"? Never heard of such a thing.
It's my attempt at a witty topic title. Translation: Is Hot Topic a serious fashion trend or is it a shortsighted fad?

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:45 pm

hot topic is a bunch of shit mixed with regular band merch. Its a useful store when it comes to wanting certain CDs or to support your favorite band, but then they got the overly gay overly faggish goth style along with fake punk, which Ebola put very well.