Finaru Fantaj Seben: The best Faino Fantaji

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Fantasy Footbaw 4: A competition of caring

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:50 am

American Football is America's most popular sport! I'd say it's a lot like Australian Football but then I started reading the Wikipedia article for Australian Football and found that it is absolutely nothing like American Football.

In a nutshell, in American football you play on a 100 yard (not metric, I know, it's about 100 meters) field and the goal is to get the football (the oblong ball that looks similar to a rugby ball) to your opponent's end of the field. You have four opportunities or "downs" to go at least 10 yards of the field, once you go 10 yards the "down" counter resets and you have four more downs to go another 10 yards. If you fail to go at least 10 yards in your four downs then possession of the football goes to your opponent. You can progress the ball by throwing it or handing the ball to another player and having them run the ball.

Of course, there are a LOT of rules but if you ever happen to see a game of American Football on television now you know the gist of what all those big guys on the field are trying to do!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:40 am

91.44 meters.

Sunday Night Football is easily the most popular TV show, and Monday Night Football is the most popular cable show.

In Indianapolis, it is pretty common for people who ordinarily dress business casual to come in wearing a Colts (local team) jersey on Fridays.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:41 am

You forgot to tell him about driving the person with the ball into the turf. :)

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:46 am

Yeah. Dudes smash dudes.

Also, as Brian poined out to me recently, the amount of actual ball running, passing, and hitting is surprisingly brief.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2008/12/how-much-action/
So, during the two hours and 56 minutes the game took to complete, throughout the 60 minutes of regulation time, the ball was in only in play for 12 minutes and 8 seconds.
There's a big element of strategy and play calling that happens on every down, but still. It's pretty explosive. Americans don't have the patience for a long game like soccer. Compared to football, it does seem pretty boring.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Yeah Baseball has a ridiculous action to game-length ratio. A typical 3-hour game has something like 10 minutes of actual action.

Baseball is boring as fuck though, American Football at least does have that huge element of strategy and suspense before every play.

I will admit the crazy amount of advertising that goes on is annoying though: Touchdown -> Commercial -> Kick-off -> Commercial -> Resume play all in the span of less than 10 seconds of the game clock.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Nobody owns him in our league, but if any of you have Nate Burleson in a different league that you're in I am sorry to hear about your loss.

His season ended because of a pizza:

http://deadspin.com/nate-burleson-crash ... socialflow

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:46 pm

I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

JzN
Standard
Standard

Post by JzN » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:18 pm

If i recall correctly in my childhood days, i think i remmeber playing Madden 95! Used to run the 100 yards with some guy LOL!

It's all coming back to me. It's the game where after you score a down, you kick off for an extra point? And that annoying commentator says "and the extra point ... Is good! / No good".

I read it's heavily reliant on the plays, but correct me if i'm wrong, i think speed and being a tank overcomes that.

I like watching them smash into each other though! In Oz we got soft cock sports.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 am

Soft cock sports....... That's awesome.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:56 am

It's pretty dumb. Mercy rules were fine as is.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:41 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
It's pretty dumb. Mercy rules were fine as is.
What's more humiliating? A school trouncing your team or that school taking a knee and punting every possession? It's a slap in the face.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:49 am

Just end the game when a team is winning by X many points.

If anyone here wants to see me get really pissed off, play a game with me and kick my ass, then go painfully easy against me and compliment me on doing well.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:53 am

If the motherfucking Bengals had beaten the dogshit Browns I would have hit an 8-bet parlay and won $75 but nooooOOOOOOoooOOooooOOooo they had to shit the fucking bed. How the fuck does a team beat the Packers and then fail to beat a Browns team without Trent Richardson and without their starting quarterback? I actually made solid money this weekend for once but man I got burned super hard by that Bengals loss.

Oh well the Colts absolutely crushed and nearly shut out arguably one of the worst Footbaw teams in a decade so I guess there's that. With a Texans loss we're tied for 1st in the AFC South with the Tennesee Titans let's go playoffs let's go 9-7 let's go Merk winning paper!

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:53 am

I have a good feeling about the Seahawks @ Colts game this week. I think the Colts are legit and Richardson is going to get a lot of runs. It fucking sucks that Bradshaw is out since that means we have to put Donald Brown in pass blocking situations and we all know how that goes -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttfyOeU3vw (he's #31, the dude immediately to the left of Peyton before the snap, you can clearly see him miss his blocking assignment and try to block some dude that's already being double-teamed)

Despite all the hype I don't think Russell Wilson is a legit passing QB, he's a lot like Colin Kaepernick except he's a worse passer but a better runner. If we can contain Marshawn Lynch then I think the Colts win this one handily. Seahawks are shitty on the road too and have only won via bullshit like last week against the Texans.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Ninja: