Music!

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Re: My list of every band that I can think of that I like

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:21 pm

built-to-spill wrote:Weezer, Cake, Soul Coughing, Beck, Ben Folds (Five), Radiohead, Fugazi, Pixies, Pavement, The Wallflowers, Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World, Flaming Lips, The Cure, Death Cab for Cutie, The Darkness, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Killers, Green Day, Outkast, Marcy Playground, Semisonic, David Gray, Elton John, Beastie Boys, They Might Be Giants, The Presidents of the United States of America, Belle and Sebastian, R.E.M., Old Metallica, Reel Big Fish
I like all of those, especially the ones in bold.
Plus I like:
The Chemical Brothers (mostly Surrender and Come With Us albums), Daft Punk, Squarepusher, Weird Al, Barenaked Ladies, myself, and a bunch of others I can't think of right now.

BTW Zach, you listed Pop Unkown and The Space Twins twice.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:39 pm

Ebola Gay wrote: The Locust
Man... Or Astroman?
Martyr AD
The Blood Brothers
Dillenger Escape Plan
Between the Buried and Me
I love you...

Ok, my list is gonna be long and it'll kick mucho butto. Ready?

DNTEL
Alexisonfire
At the Drive-In
The Mars Volta
Converge
Dillenger Escape Plan
The Blood Brothers
Glassjaw
Cursive
Head Automatica
Dr. Octopus
Handsome Boy Modeling School
Del The Funky Homosapien
Deltron 3030 (yeah, same person)
Dan "the automator"
Gorillaz
Aesop Rock
Art of Fact
The Postal Service
Death Cab for Cutie (I've liked them for years, not the OC)
Modest Mouse (same, and good news is NOT their best album)
The Pixies
Placebo
Circle Takes the Square
Fear Before the March of Flames
Iron and Wine
Say Anything
Straylight Run
Streetlight Manifesto
Zao
The Reunion Show
Sunday's Best
American Analog Set
Anatomy of A Ghost
...AYWKUBTTOD
Armor for Sleep
As I Lay Dying
Atom and his Package
Bear vs Shark
Distillers
Boys Night Out
Bane
Silent Drive
Bright Eyes
Everytime I Die
Fugazi
Further Seems Forever
Hot Hot Heat
Hell is For Heroes
....I could keep going, but I won't to spare the thread. If you want alot more, I've got a xanga page full of em, just IM me for the link.

And for those who previously mentioned TPS, please please please listen to DNTEL and Death Cab if you don't already.
Jimmy Tamborello of DNTEL is the genius behind the awesome sound of TPS and Ben Gibbard of Death Cab is the lyricist and voice behind TPS.
So if you call yourself a fan of TPS and you don't listen to either group, you aren't really a very good fan.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Blacktop
Standard
Standard

Post by Blacktop » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:58 pm

Ah! I worship the Streetlight! ^_^ I saw them in concert last weekend!
I'm old now

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:19 pm

Blehhhhhh! The locust! I've only heard one CD, and I just loled. I'm all for hardcore music, but mannnnnnnn! Do they sound better live?

Did anyone go to the show at Anchor a couple weeks ago. Haste the Day was there man! It was SWEET!

Also, I would be very happy if someone could hook my up with a Death Cab for Cutie CD I could borrow/rip. A full CD please, not some half assed mixed CD.

Pwease!

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:03 am

Grubb wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Meh, anyone here DJ?
Trouble is... the only things people want to listen to in Indianapolis is stupid rap shit and hip hop.
Aww, that's not true. And besides, contrary to popular belief, there are good rappers. You should check out Busdriver. He's pretty sweet. If you like 'im, cool, you don't, eh.
mexican ninja wrote:Blehhhhhh! The locust! I've only heard one CD, and I just loled. I'm all for hardcore music, but mannnnnnnn! Do they sound better live?
Better? What? Grindcore isn't about "sounding good", it's about GETTING REALLY ANGRY FOR NO REASON, AND FLIPPING OUT, AND YOU TEAM UP WITH A FRIEND, WHO IS ALSO UNNECESSARILY ANGRY, AND START A RIGHTEOUS CRUSADE TO PUNCH EVERYBODY IN THE FACE. AND THEN, WHEN YOU'VE RUN OUT OF PEOPLE, YOU PUNCH YOURSELF IN THE FACE, BECAUSE YOU HATE EVERYTHING, AND YOU ARE SOMETHING.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:54 am

Ebola Gay wrote:
Grubb wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Meh, anyone here DJ?
Trouble is... the only things people want to listen to in Indianapolis is stupid rap shit and hip hop.
Aww, that's not true. And besides, contrary to popular belief, there are good rappers. You should check out Busdriver. He's pretty sweet. If you like 'im, cool, you don't, eh.
All the good rappers disappeared back in the 80's. Rappers like "Sir. Mix-a-lot" and "Public Enemy"
=(

Don't get me wrong, I can appriciate some rap and hip-hop. But so much of it is just stupid and uncreative. That's the same reason I dislike a lot of Country. And let's not forget boy and girl bands, where they don't even write they're own lyrics. They just have some company guy whose paid to right generic love songs.... ICK

Accutally, the reason I would dislike any song or music artist would be because they're uncreative. So much of music today is just the same things regurgitated. And yes, I realize this applies to techno too, but techno isn't exactly controled by America's free market economy. So therefore, you don't have some guys in an office somewhere making generic techno.

Of course, the exception to this is Paul Oakenfold... Why do people listen to that crap? Every song of his on every CD is the EXACT SAME SONG!? Don't you realize that?

Uuuruuuaghaughaughuahuhuaghuhag!

...anyway, I'm done... sorry.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:34 pm

I listen to Paul Oakenfold, because to be honest, I don't like most techno. I've tried to find some good stuff, but have so far been unsuccessful.
You see, I like dark stuff, and generally do not like house, unless it is very sad, and whistful sounding. I don't life really fast, psycho-happy techno, or songs that blatently shriek about sex and exstasy. That being said, there's only a few songs by Oakenfold I like at all.
I agree with what Grubb said about the rest for the most part, about rap and hip hop, as well as a lot of pop music being unimaginative. They're only writing what sells, and at the time, that's what's popular, so they'r milking the shit out of it. A good business move, yeah sure. Good on my ears? Defenitely not. That, and I've never liked rap. Some of the old stuff is good for a laugh, but this new gansta rap can die please. All I ever here is drugs, sex, violence, and the degredation of women. That's it. Oh, and a boring repetative drum loop and a guy in the background making obnoxious noises over the same measure of redundant 'music.'
I've heard a few people say that heavy metal sounds the same. If you don't listen to it, maybe it does. A lot of it is what I'd call 'musicians music.' You have to play the instruments involved to really appreciate it. Furthermore, if you actually take the time to listen/read and understand the lyrics, many of them are very poetic and quite interesting. Can't understand it? Well, I can't understand rap either. Seriously, I didn't take any lessons in ebonics. At least metal singers still speak english.

Atreyu and Shadow's Fall are two metal bands I'm into at the moment. I'm looking for more, but I'm picky with my metal as well. If any of you are metal curious, check those two out. Very good guitar, and the lyrics are also anything but dull.

Gumby
Standard
Standard

Post by Gumby » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:52 pm

American Idiot = best green day album to date. My faith in the band has been completely renewed.

I mostly like rock bands. Not really into the underground scene so much.

I like:

Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Seether, Adema, Slipknot, Stonesour, System of a Down, Oasis, Skillet, Linkin Park, Korn, Evanescence, Ill Nino, Incubus, Bush, Switchfoot, Hoobastank, Guns N Roses, Green Day, Cold, Disturbed, Blink 182, Boxcar Racer, 12 Stones, Atomship, Revis, and of course the Gods of Rock themselves, METALLICA!!!
I don't fear death; I fear not living.

TehMonkay
Light
Light

Post by TehMonkay » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:17 pm

Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor is the greatest ever. With Teeth is coming out this year, and they're starting to announce tour dates, i'm so going to see them, or die trying.
You can't 0wn anyone, they outlawed slavery a long time ago.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:27 pm

Original Sin wrote: I agree with what Grubb said about the rest for the most part, about rap and hip hop, as well as a lot of pop music being unimaginative. They're only writing what sells, and at the time, that's what's popular, so they'r milking the shit out of it. A good business move, yeah sure. Good on my ears? Defenitely not.

In line with what you said, there was a somewhat recent article in Wired about how the internet is changing the music, movie, and book businesses from being hit based businesses (make what sells a lot at the time) to being more dependant on what people actually like. Instead of distributing a limited amount of top hits that will sell really well (aka what many consider to be mainstream crap) the industry is starting to move to distributing a massive amount of offerings, of which each individual one will appeal to only a limited audience. The industry is turning upside down.

Blacktop
Standard
Standard

Post by Blacktop » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:20 pm

Vodka makes a lot more sense when you think about the fact that Russians invented it. They also gave power to Josef Stalin.

Don't get cocky, though. We still invented Switchfoot.

The Russians got Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev and Tatu. We got freakin' Switchfoot. DURRRRRR
I'm old now

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:07 pm

Grubb wrote: All the good rappers disappeared back in the 80's. Rappers like "Sir. Mix-a-lot" and "Public Enemy"
Not true, you just hear the crap they play on the radio.

Please people, don't call electronic music techno, it's not correct at all.
Techno is a subgenre, next to many many many other subgenres. It's a sin to not recognize the depth of electronic.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:20 pm

I love electronic music.
I make electronic music on my computer.
It is not techno.
It's more like world pop/ambient/trance/jazz fusion/etc. (not always all in the same song, but yeah)

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:15 am

That's why I tell people that I listen to electronica, mainly focusing on trance and dance, though some true techno gets thrown in there.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:16 am

Gumby wrote:I like:

Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Seether, Adema, Slipknot, Stonesour, System of a Down, Oasis, Skillet, Linkin Park, Korn, Evanescence, Ill Nino, Incubus, Bush, Switchfoot, Hoobastank, Guns N Roses, Green Day, Cold, Disturbed, Blink 182, Boxcar Racer, 12 Stones, Atomship, Revis, and of course the Gods of Rock themselves, METALLICA!!!
<3.