Careers, anyone?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:58 am

I shoot chickens out of a cannon at airplanes.

TylerHHS
Standard
Standard

Post by TylerHHS » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:39 am

I'm in high school right now, but I plan to go to IU-Bloomington. I'll probably major in business, then go onto accounting or law school.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:19 am

XxJennaxX wrote:Well, I wanted to major in sociology/psychology in order to work for the FBI as a special agent, but that career doesn't look too promising.

So I'm really considering switching to pre-med or law.
If you've really got your heart set on the FBI, they generally hire either ex-cops, accountants, or people with profound knowledge of foreign cultures, right now, middle eastern culture.
That's what the agent I talked to said, anyway. Getting in would still be difficult, but you'd increase your chances going one of those routes.

It's interesting to see so many people with interests in video and film. I'd love to get involved with something like that, but you know how it goes. I do, however, want to perhaps start my own video game studio. Since hiring into one is, well....a far fetched idea. I'd like to get some like minded people together, each with their own talents, and work to get something going. Will it happen? Probably not, but that's what I want to do.

Gumby
Standard
Standard

Post by Gumby » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:40 am

In 4 weeks I will officially be a chemical engineer instead of a chemical engineering student. I have my job lined up at a Marathon Ashland Petroleum refinery working for the environmental department. I'm excited to begin my career and make the mad dollars.
I don't fear death; I fear not living.

Juwi bean
Standard
Standard

Post by Juwi bean » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:00 am

singer/song writer! but that'll never happen... lol

so i want to be a writer or a teacher ^^ maybe a music teacher.
i am cute. my panda's bigger than your panda.
Avon Otaku

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:40 pm

God Of Rock wrote:I shoot chickens out of a cannon at airplanes.
No work-related stress in your life! :D
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:03 pm

For the first 25+ years of my life I planned on becoming a music prof. I got all the way through my classwork for my doctorate before I finally realized I was going down a path I didn't really want to be on. So I shifted gears and became a computer programmer. I'm making decent money, and I don't have to deal with the public at all. I think I'll be just fine with calling this my 'career'. :D

As for the FBI thing, my freshman year in college I had a roommate who was the strangest, quietest, most bizarre roommate ever. He was one of the most secretive people I've ever known. The very next year (he was a senior), I get a phone call from the FBI (or CIA??? I forget now) saying they're doing background checks on this guy becuase he's applying for a job. A real agent came to my room and asked me all sorts of questions about this guy. All I have to say is... our government secrets are certainly safe with him :lol:

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:47 pm

it's not hard to get into the fbi...you just can't do bad things.

my cousin joined the fbi and he was a chemistry teacher w/ a degree in chemistry. He's not allowed to tell me what he does at the FBI but he gets to carry a gun on him at all times that I tend to grab at a lot :twisted:

As for what malticus said is true... I had agents as well when they were interviewing for my cousin
insert code compile execute return

XxJennaxX
Standard
Standard

Post by XxJennaxX » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:41 pm

Well, this news is good for me then. Plus, I'll also have a psychology degree since I'm doing a double major.

I don't know though. I change my mind so often b/c I'm interested in so many things. I guess I'll know for sure what I want to do after I finish my first year in college.
"I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies."

tang
Standard
Standard

Post by tang » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:52 pm

Yea this one guy on my old streert was trying to become and FBI agent and they sent someone out to do a background check. After he talked to me ( I was about 13) I asked him "Who really shot JFK?" He got all nervous and tried to cover up. Haha he said no onme really knows. I don't believe he was a very good agent.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:00 pm

Did this "agent" bribe you with candy? We tend to call these "agents" sexual predators.
insert code compile execute return

Pink Pheonix
Standard
Standard

Post by Pink Pheonix » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:08 pm

Weeell, right now I'm a theatre major at IUB, but really i'd like to be able to double major in Theatre and, Speech and Hearing. It feels like i'd have to do a crazy amount of work though. But, if i go down the theatre track i'd really like to get into stage management, i love to perform, but i hate the process of acting. With speech and hearin i'd like to be a speech therapist, maybe specializing in children.
One time, at Latvian camp...

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:07 pm

I've also been interviewed under similar circumstances. A friend of mine got top secret clearance in the army, and I was interveiwed by the department of defense. I havn't heard from this friend since, either. :roll: