Crazy Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

AShatteredGrave
Standard
Standard

Crazy Day

Post by AShatteredGrave » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:28 pm

Man, I've had the most terrifying day ever.

I was heading home from work on I-465, my roomate was driving. I went to sleep in the car and was woken up by my roomate screaming at someone. Apparently, while I was asleep some drunk/high guy was tearing ass down the interstate and was riding our car for about two miles. My roomate gave the guy the finger and we tried to gain some leeway so he wasn't riding us anymore.

The guy was relentless and got on us again. The only way to get him off of us was to break check him. It succeeded, for a while atleast. The guy pulls up next to us and starts cursing at us. He's this guy in his 40's, looks drunk as hell and looks like he came from the most redneck part of teh US you could imagine. My roomate is telling him to leave us alone and all this other stuff.

He leave us alone and acts like he's about to get off on I-70.
Whew, problem over.

Not really. I'm looking behind us and there he is again, trailing us. THis guy is royally pissed and we don't even know what his deal is. We are hauling ass down I-465 and the guy is still on us hard. We think we're losing him and we pulls up next to us again talking more smack.

We finally get rid of him on the Southeastern Ave. exit and as he goes up the exit ramp he's screaming his lungs out. I blew him a kiss and waved goodbye.

Worst idea ever. The last thing I see is him pull a gun and do a 180 on the exit ramp.

A few miles down, some kids in a mini-van pull up next to us and saw everything and said the guy was crazy and when he did the 180, he was so messed up that he didn't see the car behind him which clipped him and sent him off the exit ramp.

I've never been so scared in my life. This guy was literally ready to kill us.

Anything scary like that happen to anyone?
InfoShop-Anarchist Media
--
Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains. - Karl Marx.
--
Show me a man of violence that came to a good end, and I will take him for my teacher-Lao Tzu

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:16 pm

well once when I was working at good ol' captain D's, I had a man pull up to the drivethru 3 minutes before we closed that night. He told us he wanted to order some fish sandwiches without the fish inside. we were a bit suspicious at first because he wanted to order in the drive thru and pick it up inside. We told the man to come inside and order. The man walked up to the front counter and nervously asked me how much it was for just fish... I told him the price and he hurriedly said that he didn't want it... as he started to walk out I noticed there was a gun tucked in the back of his pants... that scared the hell out of me, judging by his actions we were pretty sure his intentions were to rob the place. and he's an idiot for even thinking about doing it because we had already pulled the drawers and only had about $250 in the safe
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:21 pm

*reads posts*

Whoa! That shit ain't cool, yo.

I almost got my ass kicked by some ghetto folk who were talking smack to me.

Another time was during the Circle City Classic when shots were actually fired downtown in CC while I was eating. Everyone ran away and then there were cops and an ambulance a few minutes after.

Lesson learned: Don't go downtown during the CC Classic.

That, or the Black Expo.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:25 am

Stories like these are the reason I don't leave the house armed, kids. Ever. No, seriously. People think I'm nuts, but the truth is, you never know when something like this is gonna happen.
Furthermore, if you're actually carrying/thinking of carrying a weapon for self defense, for god's sake learn how to use it too. :?

Crazy situations? Well, a few years (3 or 4 I think), I was at the 3 rivers festival down town, around the Headwaters Park area. It's after 11 at night, and most of the events are winding down, people have thinned out, and so on. I'm walking down past one of the far pavilions, and pass these guys (4) who appeared to be stoned/drunk off their ass. One guy throws a tennis ball across the street, trying to hit some guy...whatever, I keep walking. I've got my backpack on, with my art supplies in it, by the way.

So, these nut jobs are walking along side of me, and one guy jumps up on the other guys shoulders, and knocks him into me. I shrug it off and keep moving, but said guy starts talking shit about how 'I ran into him,' but I ignore them and keep walking.
At this point, I'm behind the pavilion, near the Jail (lolz) parking lot, where I'm supposed to meet my dad. So, these 4 guys surround me, still talking shit.
The supposed leader, some shrimpy guy that came up to my chest, at best, comes up and tries taking some swings at me. I deflect all his punches easily, but make no attempt to attack. I give them fair warning, tell them to back off, and draw my knife.
A guy from somewhere behind me comes in to take a swing, I sidestep him, and continue deflecting to shrimpy guy. The 2 other thugs are throwing ice and shit at me, woo hoo. At this point, I put away my knife. I decided these guys aren't worth going to jail over.
I swing around behind the lead guy and knock him off balance, but some burly guy punches me in the back of the head in the process. Amazingly, I barely even felt it. I turn around, laugh at him (It was actually pretty funny.) And they left me alone.
I would have had a little more fun with them, but I was still carrying my bag, and it was ungodly cumbersome. That, and I figured if I dropped it, they'd probaby run off with it.

In this case, I didn't even have to use my weapon, but a lifetime of make-shift martial arts training came in rather handy.

AShatteredGrave
Standard
Standard

Post by AShatteredGrave » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:21 am

Original Sin wrote:Stories like these are the reason I don't leave the house armed, kids. Ever. No, seriously. People think I'm nuts, but the truth is, you never know when something like this is gonna happen.
Furthermore, if you're actually carrying/thinking of carrying a weapon for self defense, for god's sake learn how to use it too. :?
Honestly, I ususally carry a S&W .38 Snubnose on me and my roomate has his .40 Glock 22. If we were carrying when this happened it would have most likely stopped short the moment it started.
InfoShop-Anarchist Media
--
Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains. - Karl Marx.
--
Show me a man of violence that came to a good end, and I will take him for my teacher-Lao Tzu

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:11 pm

one time i was hanging out a guy who i thought was my friend (drug dealers are never your friend no matter how friendly they act) and was a little out of it on alcohol and a hallucinogen. a guy breaks the door down and beats the living shit out of my dealer friend. The other guy pulls out a gun and shows it to the rest of us. Me flipping out having my mind blown on more levels than one jumped behind the futon and then went for cover under it. My dealer friend then gets thrown in a bathroom where he got the shit beat out of him and his mouth filled with gun powder. They screamed next time they'll remember the fuse and then left. Turns out the moron had stolen a couple pounds of pot from these crazy fucks and they wanted to get a message across.

That is why, drugs are never cool. (Well ok, only when used in bad situations with bad people and overly abused..I have a few other stories where I had a gun to my head but that one messed with my head the most.)
insert code compile execute return

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:11 pm

Never got shot at, but some dumb kid pulled a knife on me at school once. I don't remember why it happened, but I think it might have been because I made a comment on him saying that he is "ghetto" and "in the G-unit" while he happens to live in Geist.
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

AShatteredGrave
Standard
Standard

Post by AShatteredGrave » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:29 pm

There have only been two other times where a gun was involved.

Once when my sisters ex-husband attempted to attack her while she was getting her stuff from his house and I was there with my dad helping her.
We found out the bad way that he was an Aryan Nation enforcer. He hid it well until one day the cops arrested him and we were told about him.

Anyway, my dad shot him in the leg because he went to hit her with a bat (He was mid-swing too). Sheriff came moments after and no charges were pressed because the guy had a record and my dad was in the line of self-defense. Also, becaue the sheriff that was dispatched had the run in with him that got him arrested in the first place.

Second time was similar, but someone was trying to break into my house. I went around the back of the house (Thanks to my patio) and when he saw me hit the corner with my .38 he was gone.
InfoShop-Anarchist Media
--
--

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:36 am

I was at a waffle house and some guy there was being overly rude and obnoxious. He called my friends and I a bunch of ladies. I called him out on it. He slammed a $10 bill on the table to pay for food and mentioned he'd be waiting outside.

He wasn't there... crazy guy.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:25 am

guns are for the weak :P if someone breaks into my house they'll be dealing with two katanas (as soon as I learn the dual forms o.O) until then I guess they'll just be dealing with one...
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:43 pm

I would've just called the police and told em that I was speeding like crazy because this guy...and wont leave us alone etc. etc.....problem solved...

So if I got pulled over, I at least had a good reason to tell the officer why I was speeding.
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

AShatteredGrave
Standard
Standard

Post by AShatteredGrave » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:12 pm

Good point, Pheadra. I would have as well but we really weren't thinking straight while being pursued. Our first instinct was to lose the bastard or get some headway to get to our house with just enough time to either arm ourselves and/or get our neighbors to get to cops for us.
InfoShop-Anarchist Media
--
--

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:18 pm

Green Tea wrote:guns are for the weak :P if someone breaks into my house they'll be dealing with two katanas (as soon as I learn the dual forms o.O) until then I guess they'll just be dealing with one...
And I'd shoot your ass the second I saw a sword.

Moral of this story: Don't bring a knife to a gun fight, no matter how cool you think you are in geekland.

AShatteredGrave
Standard
Standard

Post by AShatteredGrave » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:53 pm

Yeah, the last time I checked, I bullet can out run someone coming at me.
InfoShop-Anarchist Media
--
--

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:56 pm

Spazz wrote:
Green Tea wrote:guns are for the weak :P if someone breaks into my house they'll be dealing with two katanas (as soon as I learn the dual forms o.O) until then I guess they'll just be dealing with one...
And I'd shoot your ass the second I saw a sword.

Moral of this story: Don't bring a knife to a gun fight, no matter how cool you think you are in geekland.
For the most part, you're right. However, in some cases a knife/sword can be just as useful, if not moreso, than a gun. This usually isn't the case, but it is a possibility.
If you have the element of suprise, a knife or a sword is the easiest way to eliminate an opponent. Of course, having the element of surprise in a self defense situation isn't likely.
For home defense, however, you may very well find yourself able to sneak up on, and quickly dispatch your assailant. It's not recommended, of course, and should only be attempted if you are exceptional with the knife/sword you happen to be wielding.

Also, if you are stuck with only a knife (or even a sword) for self defense against a target with a gun, you have to judge the character of the person holding the gun. Have they been trained? Do you know how to properly operate the weapon, and if so, can they aim it well enough to hit a moving target? It seems that it's the big thing these days to pull a 9, and get in someone's face with it. If this is the case, and you know what you're doing, you can easily taken them out unarmed, let alone with a knife.
Keep in the mind the fact that they aren't aiming properly, and do not have a good bead on you to begin with. Move fast enough to the side, and you'll throw that bead off altogether. Slide in quickly, preferably under/to the side of their aim, and get inside their reach. Grab hold of the wrist holding the gun, twist their arm (or just break their elbow if you want) and disarm them. At this range, you can also slide the knife clean through their throat, and slice other vital points wide open.
By this time, he probably would have tried to fire a shot, so keep your hand clear of the slide on the weapon (it's probably an automatic) to avoid getting injured when the gun kicks back.

Now, if you're up against an ex-marine with a .45, well....so long. It's not likely he's going to miss, and even less likely you're going to disarm him.

Should you take a knife to a gun fight? Yes, you should take BOTH. If you're carrying a handgun, you may as well carry a good folding knife as well. Deciding which weapon to use is entirely dependent on the situation.
In most cases, the gun will be your best bet, however, the knife can prove to be a valuable tool, as well as a secondary weapon to fall back on if need be.

Oh, and Green Tea? If you're indoors, I'd recommend going with the single katana. The dual style is too wide and cumbersome for close quarters fighting, and more likely to find yourself disarmed faster than if you went with a single katana, or even a wakizashi.
Of course, I'd still recomend a good .45 first, or a nice 12 gauge (ify you don't mind spackling and reconstructing dry wall for a few weeks.) :wink: