Amateur (HAM) Radio

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Amateur (HAM) Radio

Post by MonMotha » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:15 pm

Just on the offchance, is there anyone else on here who happens to be interested in amateur radio? I'd love to try to chat some time, either via a repeater (I can hit just about anything in Indiana on 2m from the club station) or simplex on either HF, 2m, or 440MHz.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Rusty Shackleford
Standard
Standard

Post by Rusty Shackleford » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:16 pm

I almost got my liscense when I lived down south. It seems really fun. I might like to give it another try sometime.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:32 pm

My Dad is a HAM.

His call letters are KE9QH.

I don't really use the radio that much, mostly because I'm not licenced too.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:32 pm

Used to have one, but I don't know what ever happened to it.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:06 pm

We're starting one here in Danville, and I've been offered a job therein. =) If things get off the ground, I'll be sure to fill you in on how it goes; I'm not real familiar with how it all works at the moment. It's certainly a leraning opportunity, that's for sure.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:07 am

shammers wrote:We're starting one here in Danville, and I've been offered a job therein. =) If things get off the ground, I'll be sure to fill you in on how it goes; I'm not real familiar with how it all works at the moment. It's certainly a leraning opportunity, that's for sure.
Well, the way to get started if you don't have a club in your area would probably be to just try to get licensed. There's various places on the internet with "study guides", though if you know something about electronics and have half a brain when it comes to guessing what you should and shouldn't do on the air (don't swear, ID routinely [every 10 minutes], etc), the entry level exam is pretty simple. The entire question pool is available online (every possible question they can ask you), and http://www.qrz.com/ has some practice exams. You could also read the QRZ forums if you want a laugh. There are some very strange people on there, and then some who are just downright out of their mind (don't get your entire impression of amateur radio from there).

There's a list of upcoming exams in Indiana on the ARRL's website if you want to locate an exam. The fee (of course) went up this year to $14. You can then renew it for the rest of your life for the cost of a stamp every 10 years.

If you find someone who has some gear, they can operate for you and let you chat on the air. If you want to try to give me a call, call W9NAA on the 146.685MHz K9IKQ (WVARA) (PL 151.4Hz) repeater in Terre Haute or 147.510MHz simplex (that's the frequency our club generally uses locally) and if someone's up in the station (probably me), they'll get back with you. You'd only need the entry class license (tech) to use those frequencies. No morse code required.

If you happen to find someone with HF privilages, I'm usually on 20m or 17m around 4:20-5:00 various days of the week (usually not Wed.). I have extra privs now, but I tend to hang out in the general parts unless I find a station I want to work in another country. If I hear someone calling me, I'll certainly come back.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:38 pm

LOL, NECROMANCY!!!

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:48 pm

I think my Dad's still on there...chat with N9XNI sometime. ^_^