GenCon

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Frank918

GenCon

Post by Frank918 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:35 pm

So, yeah. Is anyone going to this??

I have a friend that's pretty stoked about going, he tells me its one of the biggest gaming conventions around. However, I'm a little curious about it...

The gaming thing would be neat and all, but he also tells me there are a lot of anime things going on there as well, and that would be the main thing I would be interested in.

SO pretty much what I was wondering is if there was anyone who could tell me if there are a lot of anime happenings there as well, for this would give me a legitimate reason to attend. Also, is there much cosplaying there like at other conventions?

Thanks to whoever can answer these Q's for me.

djfooboo
Standard
Standard

Post by djfooboo » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:51 pm

Jizzon to thread, Jizzon to thread.

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:44 pm

Why are you summoning Jizzon...? This fits.

Anyway, I'm unable to go seeing as how I'll be in San Fran at the time. However, plenty of my henchmen will be running around with a few tasks to accomplish.

So I'll be there in spirit. Have fun, you crazy gamers!

djfooboo
Standard
Standard

Post by djfooboo » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:41 am

Yume_Taira wrote:Why are you summoning Jizzon...? This fits.
You said summon, it sounds like Jon is now a Final Fantasy summon. lol

Jizzon is the con dude, duh.

Gumby
Standard
Standard

Post by Gumby » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:20 am

I went to GenCon last year and already have my 4 day badge for this year. I go to play in the MTG tournaments. As for anime stuff, I don't really remember it being a big theme. The main focus is games: RPGs, miniatures, CCGs, cards, etc. There is a large amount of cosplay there and it's a pretty cool atmosphere IMO.
I don't fear death; I fear not living.

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:16 pm

Yeah, gencon is definatly a gaming convention.

Like Gumby said, main focus is on stuff like RPGs, CCGs and such. Of course, there's always going to be people dressed up for cosplay, and there's always at least a few anime oriented booths. Just not gonna be like Acen or Reactor.

I'm going mainly because Shadowrun's 4th edition is coming out. Gonna make or break the game... seeing as how they redid the ENTIRE system. Ugh.

Jizzon

Post by Jizzon » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:23 am

djfooboo wrote:Jizzon to thread, Jizzon to thread.
Jizzon here. I do the con thing; GenCon is no different. I'll be judging the Magic events all four days, specifically the Legacy/Vintage Championships, and most likely the 2HG tournies as well. Whee!
People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage others.

bunnydreams
Standard
Standard

Post by bunnydreams » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:59 am

Speaking of cons...is anyone going to The Reactor in Chicago this year or ACEN next year ? ^^

( I have school during both of them, but I'm going to try and make it)
:O

x5060
Standard
Standard

Post by x5060 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:32 pm

7th time attending. 84th convention total.
Bring me all the bagel and muffins in the land, for tonight we drink from the keg of victory.

rUiN GOD
Standard
Standard

Post by rUiN GOD » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:17 pm

Well ill be there mostly for Yugioh but i think i will also play some type 2 magic.

Ray_Clark
Standard
Standard

Post by Ray_Clark » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:29 am

I've heard many things about this convention. I might attend but its not many things that catch my eye though.

Crotis Jivefunk
Standard
Standard

Post by Crotis Jivefunk » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:29 am

i'm pissed i can't go this year. it's the weekend i move into my dorm, i'm not going to have enough dough, and the person i was riding with can't go. i'm more of a casual gamer. i got in free in 2003, because of saving star wars. the director met david prowse there and got him to appear in it.

ThatGuy
Standard
Standard

Post by ThatGuy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:11 am

If anyone is going and gets a chance to swing by the WizKids booth for some freebies for me, I'd appreciate it. HeroClix, Pirates, MechWarrior, MageKnight, RocketMen - anything will do. I'm new to all the games, so I don't have much to begin with. I understand at WizardWorld that everyone who grabbed the goodie bag after registration got a free HeroClix figure.

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:13 pm

I will be thier on Sat. Expect me to be around The Hero clix, magic and Marvel RPG booths.
Warning incoming game!

Intermezzo
Standard
Standard

Post by Intermezzo » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:32 am

I went to Gencon last year and it was a blast. The convention center was packed wall to wall, though..Getting around was tough. Also, I saw some pretty strange cosplayers. I got tackled by a guy wearing an Inuyasha costume.

I'm going one day this year, maybe two days if I have the money. I'll probably be the only girl in the Yugioh room again. :[