back to GH2 for a bit

Discuss your greatest DDR and music/rhythm game accomplishments

Moderator: Moderators

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:58 am

Oh yeah, I FPC'ed What's Going On sightreading it at Ho's machine. It may be easy, but it's possibly the absolute funnest (I know it's not a word) songs EVAR.

And Brandon - go play Zero this coming Friday. Louisville should be hitting up the mall.

Congratulations on your first Nightmare S, as I'm sure there will be many more to come!

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:03 pm

Not a brag, just a :x :x

Twice in a row today I got a 73 combo on Beethoven Virus in Mission 1 (you're supposed to get a 72 max combo exactly).

GRR -- maybe I'll try counting down the steps I have left from about 10 or so and see if that works. So what's the next song after that?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:06 pm

I did the exact same thing (though it wasn't nearly as painful with the free continues...). I found it really helps to count it in your head off-by-one. What happens is that you're counting and you'll count 72 and see it pop up on the screen, but by then it is too late to keep yourself from hitting the next step. So basically, either count it off-by-one or try to "go" for a 71 combo, and hopefully you'll get lucky.

The next song is Turkey March HD (2x, Mirror, Mines), Grade A or better (easy, in other words).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:15 am

I'm reviving this thread to post some Guitar Hero stuff --- it's the only music game I'm really playing right now. I bought it 2 weeks ago, and so far my best accomplishments are reaching Guitar God status on Medium (5 stars on every song), and (barely) passing Bark At The Moon on Expert.

More to come...

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:47 pm

Guitar Hero:

HARD LEVEL:
All songs passed; 5 stars on 44/47 tracks

EXPERT LEVEL:
All songs passed; 5 stars on 26/47 tracks

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:03 am

Damn this game is hard.

2 things I'm still working on:

Pinky/Ring Finger speed, and the whole concept of 'hammering' or whatever it's called when you strum once but go up the down the neck for multiple notes. Can anyone further explain this?

(BTW, I've technically beaten every song on every difficulty, but not with 5 stars.. 0_o)

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:10 am

I still suck at the hammer-ons and pull-offs. For the most part, you can get by without doing it at all, but I do think it helps for some of the fastest songs.

Actually, I'm getting relatively good at the hammer-ons, but the pull-offs still feel completely weird. One thing that DID help me was realizing that you can leave as many frets held down BELOW the given note as you want, unless it's a chord. So if you go back and forth between two notes rapidly, you only have to move one finger; the lower finger can just stay held down. Figuring out how to do that helped me quite a bit.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:38 am

malictus wrote:Actually, I'm getting relatively good at the hammer-ons, but the pull-offs still feel completely weird. One thing that DID help me was realizing that you can leave as many frets held down BELOW the given note as you want, unless it's a chord. So if you go back and forth between two notes rapidly, you only have to move one finger; the lower finger can just stay held down. Figuring out how to do that helped me quite a bit.
These are all the techniques that make Guitar Hero at least somewhat more realistic as compared to Guitar Freaks.

Not that anyone is going to learn to play guitar by playing Guitar Hero, but I appreciate that they tried to incorporate actual guitar techniques into the game. It really helps differentiate and make it more than just a GF clone.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:29 pm

Guitar Hero Update:

Hard: 5-star on 46/47 songs (only Texas Flood is left!)
Expert: 5-star on 40/47 songs

I've also managed a 100% (full combo) on 10/47 Hard songs.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:37 pm

This is my first score to rank in the top 10 over on ScoreHero. I'm currently ranked 39th overall in the Hard level, racking up close to 10 million points.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:38 pm

nice one man

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:42 pm

Awesome!

Meanwhile, I finally dragged out my game and logged a few scores into ScoreHero. I was duly humbled. I played the game enough to unlock all the songs way back when and then haven't really touched it since. My lack of practice shows...

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:12 am

Ho wrote:Awesome!

Meanwhile, I finally dragged out my game and logged a few scores into ScoreHero. I was duly humbled. I played the game enough to unlock all the songs way back when and then haven't really touched it since. My lack of practice shows...
Yeah, the competition is pretty intense over there, that's for sure. I'm glad you're entering some scores; no one else I know IRL is there. Which reminds me, ShammerS if you're reading this. I know you play GH too; are you on ScoreHero? I need more competitors!!!

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:55 pm

I finally made Guitar God status on Hard difficulty (getting 5 stars on every song). Texas Flood finally fell tonight.

Also, I 5-starred The Breaking Wheel on Expert. I'm pretty proud of that one. Only a handful a songs left to 5-star on Expert now, 6 I think...

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:27 am

First Beatmania brag report:

I bought Beatmania US 2 weeks ago, and I've been working on both 7- and 5-key songs as I'm learning the game.

Status report for 5-key:
25/28 songs passed
14/28 songs full combo
1 song perfect full combo
4 AA's
no AAA's yet :( (going by VJArmy scoring here, not US scoring)

I'm convinced my accuracy will never get very good, so the only way I can hope to get good at this game is to learn hard songs. So far my best is a B (and a pass) on Ska a Go Go; I completely full comboed the ending. This is also the only score I have posted so far that beats Ho's score.

BRING IT ON 8)