lgolem passed Dignity finally

Discuss your greatest DDR and music/rhythm game accomplishments

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: lgolem passed Dignity finally

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:59 pm

Yeah, I dunno. The hardest stuff in DJ Max was only hard because of having to use only thumbs coupled with some awkward patterns and small inaccurate buttons. Granted, the PC version is probably different and has harder charts, but still making the switch from using only thumbs to full reach of fingers would make it balls easy unless they added a TON more chords and quick 16th note streams with chords in between.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Holy shit this game is for the PC?

You see I played it on Riot's PSP once, wrote it off because lol why play that game when I have beet, and haven't given a damn about it since.

That controller though, whooo boy, let's add another random button and a track ball thingy $$$$$! Has this company gotten sued yet? They literally put no effort in differentiating their controller from Konami's. Had you not said it was a DJ Max controller I honestly would have thought it was some shitty third party Mad Catz beet controller.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:58 pm

For all intensive purposes, yes the game ripped pretty much everything off IIDX, just put Korean pop songs in instead. They do put a ton of polish and extras in their games though, so that does set them apart a bit. They work a lot more on the "metagame" if you will with equipment, stats, level ups, missions, etc. which is fun. But yeah I'm surprised they haven't been put out of business I guess. I'd play the PC one if I didn't have to buy it, since most of the songs in it I've already played on the portable ones. It's a fun game with a mostly good soundtrack (in fact, I'd say they rival IIDX in some regards.... they both have their high points and low points, but DJ Max has more good middle of the road songs, where IIDX for me is more polarized).

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Yeah the songs in beet are extremely hit or miss with some passive "Meh" trance crap thrown in.

That reminds me - if you go back and listen to the songs from 1st style through 16th you can really hear how the series sort of evolved and took off. The music in 1st through 4th style is completely different than what's been on the last 4 or so styles. They had a lot more slow and funky R&B songs back then and now it's almost exclusively J-Core with maybe a few Taka trance songs and synthy Sota songs thrown in.

Sigh, I kinda miss the older stuff. I feel the exact same way about DDR too. DDR 4th mix had an amazing soundtrack. Extreme was great and pretty much the best way to end the series but a bunch of old songs that I liked didn't make the cut. Obviously the only way it could have been improved is if they had every song from 1st-8th in the Extreme engine. Supernova and up doesn't count because we all know they were made to win a court case.

This game on the other hand... I don't know... Amp seems to like it!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:24 pm

I liked DDR Extreme but that was about where my interest died after that. With BEET I honestly like the songs from 8th style til now a lot better than the first half of the series, but I'd say 10-14 are my favezzzz not that I actually play.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:30 pm

I'll agree with that. Troopers honestly had maybe five songs that I'd go out of my way to listen to - Empress is about the same really. I think the series hit a high note with Gold and haven't been able to match it since but I'll admit I haven't heard anything from Sirius. But really this is all just subjective bulldong anyway.

6th, 8th, Red, and Gold are probably my top four soundtracks. But beet certainly wouldn't be the same without everything else. Gotta have the mediocre to appreciate the good.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:36 pm

If only beet was as innovative as ITG =(

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Yea, I'm pretty into DJ Max as it's pretty fun (and the portable series can become extremely challenging with hard difficulty on due to the notably smaller timing window) and features some good music all around. In terms of the series, the primary franchise at the start was actually DJ Max Online (which was similar to o2jam), but due to high sales of the portable series that changed. Trilogy was supposed to be the revival of the Online series, but due to the producer of Trilogy leaving Pentavision the planned addon packs were shelved and probably will never see the light of day.

One thing I will mention though when it comes to DJ Max Black Square and Trilogy is that they both do utilize the Auto Correct system which means that hitting the wrong button will still count and only the score (not the grading) is penalized. (It is widely believed to have been added in as a way to stop Konami's lawyers as Pentavision did get sued by them back in fall/winter 2008 even though the series has been around since 2004.) Personally, I think the grading should have been penalized as well as it would better reflect having hit the wrong key.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 pm

The best songs in Supernova were ported from DMX. In fairness, I didn't realize their origin so I think that removes any bias.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:03 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:The best songs in Supernova were Scorching Moon, Bad Routine and A Stupid Barber.
Fixed :)

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:02 pm

lgolem wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:The best songs in Supernova were Scorching Moon, Bad Routine and A Stupid Barber.
Fixed :)
All three of those songs were from console versions. Same is true for the DMX songs. I can't think of many great arcade original charts in that mix besides AA.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:11 am

The best songs from SuperNOVA are WOOKIE WOOKIE and Sunrise (Jason Nevins Mix)