Ho's Humility Thread

Discuss your greatest DDR and music/rhythm game accomplishments

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ho's Humility Thread

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:48 am

In all the years of IndyDDR I've never had a brag thread. In fact, I've actively avoided starting one because I don't really like bragging about myself. Of course the reality is that after approximately six years of DDR, three years of IIDX, two years of pop'n, a year and a half of Pump, and a random smatterings of other music games...I am, at best, average.

However, in the past couple of months I've been having fun with some friendly competition from newer players who are already outplaying me as well as humbly reaching for the upper echelons of some veteran players. These have been mostly carried out on the score tracking sites DD:Recall, pop'n navy, and VJ Army.

This competition has renewed and/or enhanced my interest in some of these games as well as produced some entertaining banter here on the forums. But I've been polluting a lot of other people's brag threads and even some completely unrelated threads, so I decided to go ahead and start a thread of my own to help contain some of this havoc.

But please notice the title: Ho's Humility Thread. That should set the theme. This is a chronicle of my own mediocrity and a forum for encouragement.

Go ahead and challenge me with reasonable goals. These are the things that encourage me to play and eek out a few extra points through sheer force of will. Meanwhile, you can revel in the fact that you can soundly stomp someone with twice, three times, ... , maybe ten times more experience in these games. ;)

But statements like, "Hey Ho, why haven't you AAAed PSMO yet?" will probably just make me cry...and do you really want to make a Ho cry?

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:00 am

Yay for a Ho brag thread :D
Will you accept Guitar Hero challenges? I assume you don't have an account over on scorehero? At least I don't see you there. I have an account there that I'm actively adding to right now...

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:03 am

malictus wrote:Yay for a Ho brag thread :D
No, no, no! This is a humility thread! ;)

But sure, I'd be happy to have a Guitar Hero challenger. I didn't know there was already a score site. I played through the game enough to unlock all the songs, but I haven't really touched it much since. A little friendly challenge from you is a good enough reason for me to pickup the 'ol' plastic axe!' I'll sign up for an account.

EDIT: ScoreHero wouldn't let me have a 2 character username (happens sometimes), so I am -Ho-

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:13 am

Ooh! <bounces>

Yaaaaay! Now we can tease the Ho without hijacking threads!

By the way, your Bad Boy Bass! score is... impressive. I played it, went, "Oh, that's pretty good," entered my score, compared and... :shock: :? :cry:

Now I have to practice. I guess I also have to sign up for scorehero and see how I stand against the both of you - not that well, I suspect, since I only played the poor thing for a week before getting Beatmania.

Stomp my VJArmy scores already! (Well, other than the BBB! score, which was... prestomped.) :wink:

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Re: Ho's Humility Thread

Post by the gattchoon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:18 am

Ho wrote:Of course the reality is that after approximately six years of DDR, three years of IIDX, two years of pop'n, a year and a half of Pump, and a random smatterings of other music games...I am, at best, average.

But statements like, "Hey Ho, why haven't you AAAed PSMO yet?" will probably just make me cry...and do you really want to make a Ho cry?
Yes, yes I am with you!

...7 years of DDR... I AM AVERAGE, TOO! Welcome to the average club of long-time DDR'ers! :lol:

Don't worry... we're still awesome. =P

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:31 am

Yes, you are!

...Hey, it's the gattchoon! Hey, gattchoon, why haven't you AAAed PSMO yet?

<flees>

(It's okay, I got mine... I ran a DJ battle against Amp. :P)

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:41 am

Arka wrote:Yes, you are!

...Hey, it's the gattchoon! Hey, gattchoon, why haven't you AAAed PSMO yet?

<flees>

(It's okay, I got mine... I ran a DJ battle against Amp. :P)
I'm sorry, I don't even know what PSMO is, what it stands for. I think that just landed me below average. =P

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:43 am

Naw, gattchoon, we're all average. It's just that some of us are more average than others. :lol:

(And no, even *I* don't know what that was supposed to mean. :wink:)

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:05 am

PSMO is Paranoia Survivor MAX Oni. It is widely regarded as the most difficult song/difficulty in Extreme and probably the whole series prior to SuperNOVA.

I can't even pass it...let alone AAA it. :P

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:18 am

Ho wrote:PSMO is Paranoia Survivor MAX Oni. It is widely regarded as the most difficult song/difficulty in Extreme and probably the whole series prior to SuperNOVA.

I can't even pass it...let alone AAA it. :P
It's about on par with P-Respect. And not even close to Fascination now. Ugh I hate that song, they just made a rediculous song so they could compete with ITG.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:34 am

SoDeepPolaris wrote:It's about on par with P-Respect. And not even close to Fascination now. Ugh I hate that song, they just made a rediculous song so they could compete with ITG.
Ho wrote:widely regarded as the most difficult song/difficulty in Extreme and probably the whole series prior to SuperNOVA.
To clarify, 'series' was referring to the Japanese arcade series and does not include non-Japanese, home, or unofficial releases (Stepmania). Also, I specifically stated 'widely regarded' so as not to be confused with 'universally regarded.' YMMV. :)

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:48 pm

I nominate Ho for the title of best 'all-around' music game player. While you may be only 'average' in any one game, I think if there was ever a multi-game tournament of music games, you'd come out the clear winner.

Oh, and as for a challenge, I don't think you can issue challenges on scorehero directly, so how about reaching 'Guitar God' status on Medium difficulty? That's five-starring every song, including the unlockables. Not too tough on Medium I think, although it takes a while to slog through everything I guess....

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:17 pm

malictus wrote:I nominate Ho for the title of best 'all-around' music game player. While you may be only 'average' in any one game, I think if there was ever a multi-game tournament of music games, you'd come out the clear winner.
Thanks for the nod, but nomination/voting might be the only way I'd attain such a title. Based purely on score, I can think of a few people that would likely best me on all fronts.

With regard to challenges, they need not be formal nor lodged on their respective score tracking sites. People are welcomed to simply post here their own accomplishments they'd like to see me take on or even just invent a challenge if they are so inclined.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:21 pm

Since we're discussing Ho's Bemani versatility, here's a challenge someone else gave me that I didn't try 'till today (and still haven't done successfully): beat a song on one Bemani game type with the specialized controller for another. Dualshocks not allowed.

I suspect this would be much easier if I had a Pop'N controller...

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Ho's Humility Thread

Post by danc1005 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:30 pm

Ho wrote: Meanwhile, you can revel in the fact that you can soundly stomp someone with twice, three times, ... , maybe ten times more experience in these games. ;)
Try (>) 12 times. Lol, sorry, had to say it. ;)

And, as for a challenge, pass PSM. Not Oni, just Heavy. You can do it :).