Rodent's "I failed x, y, or simply failed at life"

Discuss your greatest DDR and music/rhythm game accomplishments

Moderator: Moderators

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:56 am

Sweet, it's been two and a half years since I last failed. I'm full of win.

Last night three of my friends and myself were somewhat tricked into going to a hostess bar and dropping 7,000 yen for a single glass of cheap bear and a half hour of convoluted conversation with some flooze.

LikeableRodent

Re: Rodent's "I failed x, y, or simply failed at life"

Post by LikeableRodent » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:29 pm

Yesterday I was out cycling and happened to be near the arcade, so I stopped in to play some Jubeat, fail two games of Pop'n, and played a game of DDR... in which I failed A on double for my first song. Rockin'. That's what I get for attempting to play DDR, on double no less, while wearing cycling shoes with clipless inserts. Click click click click click.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:50 am

The arcade here finally upgraded to DDR X.

I like shock arrows just as much as I like mines... which happens to be not at all.

There's no oni mode. Wat.

The new ratings completely screw with my head.

U Cant Touch This made me happy.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:04 am

I like the ratings system as the 8 foot rating in prior releases had become VERY broad and this helps clarify things. To my knowledge though the shock notes have been very poorly received and are only in one boss song right now. (Horatio Challenge.) Also, while the new PC hardware is a good touch, it's unfortunate that the new songs are mostly a miss. (The DDR X version of Blue Rain is horrible compared to the IIDX version.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:29 am

Amp Divorax wrote:I like the ratings system as the 8 foot rating in prior releases had become VERY broad and this helps clarify things.
While I agree with the overall sentiment of your statement, the scale hasn't been 8 feet since 2nd Mix.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:30 pm

I was just talking about that particular rating as an example.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:44 am

Pretty much what you said. The old difficulty levels had a huge range of difficulties even within the songs. However, I got really screwed up when I wanted to do a new song as a warmup that was rated an 8... it was really easy. It was only after the song finished and I started scrolling some more that I realized that they modified the rating system.

Though to clarify, I wasn't sure if you meant that the only song that was a shock arrow is in Horatio Challenge or that the only BOSS song that has shock arrows is Horatio Challenge. There are plenty of new songs that feature schock arrows (though they helpfully display this fact on the song select screen). Heck, they even took some older songs and DDR Xified them with special new charts featuring shock arrows.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:17 am

Yea, I meant the only boss song that had shock arrows. Sorry about that.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:43 pm

A year and a half late, but only this week did I serendipitously find out about the release of DDR A. I happen to live near a Round 1 so took a quick trip over there and spent some time getting acquainted with it. If I remember correctly, the last time I played DDR was in Osaka back in 2012. It's pretty amazing how the muscle memory comes right back.

They have two PIU Infinity cabinets, two DDRA cabinets, two IIDX cabinet, a Pop'n Music cabinet, a Guitadora linked set, and a bunch of other new music games I hadn't seen before with names I've forgotten.

I have no plans to again start going to the arcade regularly, but I was pretty impressed with their selection of games.
pump.jpg
pump.jpg (39.72 KiB) Viewed 20208 times

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:25 am

Yeahhhh! Round 1's are pretty neat! The nearest one to all of us is in Chicago and I went there last September while I was in town for work. It was fun! Playing Drummania XG and the latest Beet was awesome plus they had like $3 24oz Blue Moons which was b-b-b-b-b-ballin!

Good to see that you're still alive Adam lol ayyyyyyyyy

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks for checking in, Adam! :D

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Merk wrote:Yeahhhh! Round 1's are pretty neat! The nearest one to all of us is in Chicago and I went there last September while I was in town for work. It was fun! Playing Drummania XG and the latest Beet was awesome plus they had like $3 24oz Blue Moons which was b-b-b-b-b-ballin!

Good to see that you're still alive Adam lol ayyyyyyyyy
Back in JP I used to go to a Round 1 about a 20 minute walk from my apartment. I didn't realize there was one around here until I looked up locations for DDR A machines. I was a bit surprised to see that the American version was more or less a scaled down version of the Japanese ones. It has the best arcade I've been to in the US in recent memory. Thumbs up for their US expansion :)

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:49 am

Wait...the US version is scaled down from the JP version? I can't say I'm surprised, but how is it scaled down? Fewer songs? Something else?

I'm amused that eAmuse runs completely on JST even for US installations. The result is that their daily maintenance window falls in the middle of the afternoon here. I pretty much get locked out of eAmuse every time I go to Round1.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Ah sorry. I meant that the Round 1 here is like a scaled down version of the Round 1 I used to live near in Japan. I actually meant it as a complement in that they actually have contemporary Japanese games, just a bit smaller of a selection.

For e-amuse I bet it's just a few servers in some data center outside of Tokyo, shared globally. But hey, at least they're allowing NA to even access it officially, which is a huge step up from previously.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:32 am

A few years back I joined an MMA gym and started taking Brazilian jiu jitsu class. After taking a year+ hiatus due to COVID I started back up earlier this year and was recently awarded a blue belt (with BJJ they go white, blue, purple, brown, black). Doing this has been well outside my comfort zone, so it's nice to have been able to stick with it long enough to be recognized.