potter DE-FATTERUUUUU

Discuss your greatest DDR and music/rhythm game accomplishments

Moderator: Moderators

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

potter DE-FATTERUUUUU

Post by Potter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:03 am

As many of you know I have become the big thicc and after a couple years of failing to find motivation to exercise I realized I really wanna play some fuckin' DDR, and back when I actively played I was probably in the best shape of my life, so I've been wanting to pick up a pad and try to get back to that

After realizing how shit the current pad market is, I decided to pick up one of the "polish pads" that seem to have good reviews for the price everywhere I've looked. They seem to be a good ~$300 option, in between the $0 option of dying from a heart attack in 2 years and the $1500 StepmaniaX stage that's constantly sold out anyway. The video reviews I could find on youtube state that it holds up surprisingly well to fatties like me and is perfectly fine as long as you're not trying to AAAAA 14's - https://www.maty-taneczne.pl/shop/dance ... sb-ex-pro/

From what I gather it should arrive in about 3 weeks, I am very excite. Figured I'd make a Merk-like thread to track my progress and give me some motivation to keep actively playing once it's set up

Question: why did you make this thread in Conversation Cornucopia instead of one of the DDR subforums?

Answer: Because CC is the only subforum anyone still checks and it's the cool hangout zone for kids who are cool so sorry deal with it

Bonus: This is the video/step chart that pushed me over the edge and finally made me order a pad:

Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: potter DE-FATTERUUUUU

Post by MonMotha » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Your attempt to co-opt the conversation cornucopia has been thwarted by someone who finally managed to find the "Move Topic" option in phpBB3.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:34 am

MonMotha wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:04 pm
Your attempt to co-opt the conversation cornucopia has been thwarted by someone who finally managed to find the "Move Topic" option in phpBB3.
REEEEEEE
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:13 am

figured I'd give a mini review of the L-Tek pro pad (the "polish pad"), this exact model: https://www.maty-taneczne.pl/shop/dance ... sb-ex-pro/

Firstly the price, it's coming from poland so you have around 100 euro in shipping, some tax, etc. All said and done it was about $370 total delivered to my door. tldr: definitely worth the price

To start with they make them on demand, it's a husband and wife couple running the shop. I ordered last monday, two days later it said they were done building it and it was shipped out from poland (wednesday). Here's the unbelievable part, it just arrived today (monday of the following week). That's 7 total days from placing an order for a made on demand pad in poland to my door in indianapolis, I couldn't believe it. It was packed well and I could tell just from having to carry it downstairs that it was going to be pretty solid

first impressions: it's thick, heavy, zero flex overall and well built. I'm 6'3 and 300lbs, so my main concern was the pads flexing/bowing/etc. I'm happy to report after jumping around on it for about an hour in socks there's none of that, it feels super solid even though I'm huge and I've had zero pad misses or mistriggers. it's got some type of anti-slip pads on the bottom for stuff like hardwood floors I'd imagine, I have it on short carpet and it didn't budge an inch

I can't think of much else to say, it just works and works great for fatties which was my main concern with all these "low end" pads. It's definitely beefier and triggers better than the old cobalt fluxes we all tracked down back in the day. I'm sure the $1500 stepmaniaX stage is great but if you're looking to spend a lot less just to play some DDR again or get back in shape this is definitely worth grabbing

Now for the fun part, when I quit playing around 15 years ago I remember being able to pass 11's and 12's and barely being tired afterwards, so I played it safe and queued up a 4 for my first track in a decade and a half, and it kicked my ass lmao. the jumps were brutal, I have a LOT of muscle to build back up, which is a good thing given that's exactly what I bought it for:

- fat adult potter who can barely pass 4's copyright 2020

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:36 am

Aiii eee aiii eeee aiii be my thunder thighs

Thanks for review! Definitely a consideration for me! I will be curious to hear continued thoughts especially after a few more months of use to see if it holds up well. Especially once you start getting stamina back up and attempting some heavy songs. I feel like I would need a bar to not fall on my ass for hard songs even just to touch it occasionally for stability so curious how sturdy that option is too

Godspeed in your defattening

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:57 pm

Potter, real talk, thanks for posting this. Reading that gave me a weird little nostalgia for a time where the internet was effort posting. And Brandon came in and moved the thread and I was like, "sighhhh old times I miss these days"

Your feet, ankles, and lower shins are definitely going to take a little time to harden up at first when you start playing again but over time they'll get back into DDR shape. If it helps, take a Bayer about 30 minutes before playing to take the edge off. I just started playing again this week after about a two-week hiatus for a vacation and that first day back was rough. I had to harden up my shins again but by the next day things felt great and I know going into next week I'll be good.

Not that you asked for advice but I will tell you that the absolute best way to stick with it is to force yourself to play at the same time Monday-Friday with no exceptions (social life notwithstanding, I understand that people got to get dat puss). Don't make excuses. Dieting is another very important part but here's the thing, when you force yourself to play DDR you naturally will force yourself to eat better too. You can eat burgers and shit just make sure they're lean. Count calories and hold yourself accountable. You'll eventually get to a point where your brain won't even want to overeat and be fat. It's no different than finding true sobriety, once you dedicate yourself to yourself you won't even have a desire for the things that made you fat and shitty but felt good in the moment.

It's a constant effort and you can't get complacent because it's effortless to fall back into being lazy and finding excuses to not play. I definitely still get high as fuck and accidentally eat entire pizzas but I limit that to Saturday/Sunday and sometimes Friday. It's okay to fuck up. Not too throw out too many idioms but it really is a marathon and not a sprint.

Another thing that really helped me out was to come up with realistic goals for each month. Any goals you don't meet carry over to the next month. For example I've had "SDG So Deep" and "AAA Twilight Zone" on my list since like August and I only just recently got a random ass 4 greats on So Deep (humble brag). It felt really good! I felt accomplished. And that's the feeling that you want to addict yourself to. I still need to get fucking Twilight Zone but, here's another idiom, that's the carrot-on-a-stick that helps motivate me to keep playing. You know this but it stands to be reiterated, don't try to jump in and immediately do the shit that you were doing when you were 12 because it'll only discourage you. Go down to standard if needed! IMO I would only stick to official DDR charts (I assume you're doing Stepmania) but that's personal preference. There are some good custom songs out there but there's a wholeeee lotta bad ones too.

Polish people being the key to de-fattening Potter is like the most Potter shit