Bloomington has DDR Supernova!!!!!

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:27 pm

TaQa wrote:
dance1005 wrote: Ho, there's something I don't understand. Now, my limited BM experience (read: BMUS) may be to blame for this misunderstanding, but why do you so dislike the songs in ITG, when most BM songs are even more ill-fitted to a dancing game? With such crap as "g.m.d.", ITG is like...DDR.
I never knew anybody considered Beatmania a dancing game...
Anything can be a dancing game if you're sufficiently creative.

BeatmaniacIIDX
Standard
Standard

Post by BeatmaniacIIDX » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:16 pm

Arka wrote:
TaQa wrote:
dance1005 wrote: Ho, there's something I don't understand. Now, my limited BM experience (read: BMUS) may be to blame for this misunderstanding, but why do you so dislike the songs in ITG, when most BM songs are even more ill-fitted to a dancing game? With such crap as "g.m.d.", ITG is like...DDR.
Anything can be a dancing game if you're sufficiently creative.
Or drinking game.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:38 pm

TaQa wrote:
*Rhythm game.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:21 pm

dance1005 wrote:
Ho wrote:
Secef wrote:YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~... (let us imagine, oh, 74 more A's) ...~AAAAAAAAAY!
Even though I don't really share your excitement about this, I really appreciate your clever consideration for not engaging the dreaded horizontal scroll. :)
Ho, there's something I don't understand. Now, my limited BM experience (read: BMUS) may be to blame for this misunderstanding, but why do you so dislike the songs in ITG, when most BM songs are even more ill-fitted to a dancing game? With such crap as "g.m.d.", ITG is like...DDR.
I'll answer the question both the way you asked it and the way I think you meant it.

If beatmania were a dancing game, I may very well have a similar problem with it that I do with ITG. Much of the music isn't all that danceable. And frankly, some of the songs that got ported from beatmania to DDR just have no place in a dancing game. For instance, 5.1.1. in DDR is just dumb (my opinion).

As a rhythm/music game, yes, beatmania has its lemons. But you're right about BMUS being a rather limited experience. How many songs does it have? I don't know the answer to that question, but I'm sure it's only a tiny fraction of the hundreds and hundreds of songs that have appeared in the now 13 styles of IIDX. Do I like every single song? Heck no. But I do like more than I don't, and I think it's hard not to find something you like in all that's there unless you just hate all the genres that are represented (which I don't).

As for ITG, I have to admit that I haven't given it much of a chance. I've played both ITG and ITG2 maybe one or two times each. But in each of those games I just never found a song that really got me excited. They're generally not bad songs, they just didn't catch my attention and suck me in. And if I'm not feeling the music, it's really hard for me to get into freestyling--which is my primary interest in dancing games.

I was also given an ITG soundtrack around the release of the game. I listened to it all the way through, and none of the songs really made me want to hear them again. Again, it's not that I hated them, I just didn't connect with them. Although to be fair, many of my favorite songs on DDR are songs that I grew fond of by playing them. I obviously don't have that effect going for me with ITG.

On the PA side of the coin, the really unique and challenging stuff is just too darn hard for me and more frustrating and painful than fun. The easier stuff I just find to be rather dull.

In summary, my experience with ITG is rather limited. I admit that. It's just that unlike DDR and PIU, playing a couple games didn't compel me to want to play more. So there's some sort of hook that's missing there for me. I don't intend to bash the game...I just don't personally find it all that interesting.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:34 pm

5.1.1. is the gayest shit ive ever heard
Team KIMO represent!

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:34 pm

First of all, ITG2 has way better songs than ITG1. I suggest you start playing more, I can even think of a few songs off the top of my head that I think (from my limited knowledge of your dancing game musical preferences) you would like. PM me for specific suggestions if you're interested. Also, about the "dullness" of the easy songs, I find this to be null, because even "easy" songs (I'm talking 7-, 8-footers) can be hella hard to 99+ for a player of your/my skill level. For example, I never get tired of playing Bubble Dancer or Mellow Hard, and although I have high scores on those songs, there's always room for improvement. Plus, they're fast enough/full of steps enough that I don't get bored.

About BMUS, I believe it has 53 songs, not counting both versions of 20, November.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:31 am

Merk wrote:This is big news! Will it be here before school starts?!
Yeah, it should be coming within the next week or two...but the Union will be closed from August 12-20, and I think that is the time period in which the game will arrive....But once the school year starts up again, maaaaaaaan that machine is in for it! :P
Secef wrote:YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~... (let us imagine, oh, 74 more A's) ...~AAAAAAAAAY!

I'll definitely be playing ITG like a mofo, whether it be 1 or 2 (hopefully 2, as I like it much more than 1).
Oh yah! Plz let me play with you!!!!

I'm pretty sure it's only going to be ITG 1 though, cuz we get the machines that Purdue is done using...we have a pretty shitty game vendor. But yeah, I'm just excited that ITG is coming to the Union where I work!!! w00tage.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:30 pm

blackcat24 wrote:we get the machines that Purdue is done using
Proof that Purdue is better than IU.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:47 pm

Purdue is 60% male 40% female.

You can't even get that kind of ratio at a gay club.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:42 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Purdue is 60% male 40% female.

You can't even get that kind of ratio at a gay club.
Proof that IU is better than Purdue. IU it is 52% females and 48% males....PROOF>>>>FACE

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:38 am

I could've sworn that Purdue had ITG2, but I could be wrong.

I hope you guys set it so doubles can be played on one credit, I know you can do that on ITG2 and it is FUUUUUUUUN. Versus still costs two credits so it's not like you'd be losing money, as far as I know nobody ever plays doubles at the union because it's too friggen expensive.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:28 am

I know Purdue now has DDR Supernova, but I dunno about ITG2.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:08 pm

Merk wrote:I could've sworn that Purdue had ITG2, but I could be wrong.
http://www.indyddr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1037

According to that topic, Purdue has had ITG2 for about a year before getting Supernova. Hopefully the IMU will be getting that.

And the Doubles for one credit would be great. I would totally eat that up.

great x scape
Standard
Standard

Post by great x scape » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:18 pm

DDR SUPERNOVA! It should be here by the end of this week or the first part of next week! I will let all of you know the day we get it in!!!!
STOP:c0000221unknownHARDerror
\systemroot\system32\ntd11.d11

great x scape
Standard
Standard

Post by great x scape » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:47 pm

As of August 16 (today) we have Dance Dance Revolution Supernova!!!! And we have Fast and Furious Superbikes too!!!!
STOP:c0000221unknownHARDerror
\systemroot\system32\ntd11.d11