Bloomington has DDR Supernova!!!!!

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun May 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Well I'm certainly not a rich man by any stretch of the word, but I'll still come out and support it when I can. I've always appreciated Daniel's enthusiasm when it comes to arcade knowledge. I am curious though, has he ever thought about a membership 'frequent player' system? I know other arcades have similar programs set up to keep prices low for XXXcore players but still get the full value from the casual passer-by.
An excellent idea...best of both worlds. Market pricing with benefits for your loyal repeat customers...likely making them more loyal and more repeating in the process. Sounds like a win-win to me!

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sun May 21, 2006 8:13 pm

This sounds great to me, but I'm a touch biased.

On the other hand, bulk token buys arguably serve this function already, unless it's infeasible for players to buy large quantities of tokens in advance.

great x scape
Standard
Standard

Post by great x scape » Mon May 22, 2006 10:47 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Well I'm certainly not a rich man by any stretch of the word, but I'll still come out and support it when I can. I've always appreciated Daniel's enthusiasm when it comes to arcade knowledge. I am curious though, has he ever thought about a membership 'frequent player' system? I know other arcades have similar programs set up to keep prices low for XXXcore players but still get the full value from the casual passer-by.
Any support at all is greatly appreciated! That is a great idea with the frequent player system. I'll pass on the information.
STOP:c0000221unknownHARDerror
\systemroot\system32\ntd11.d11

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Mon May 22, 2006 11:13 am

A special deal for frequent players would make coming to the arcade more appealing, definitely. I mean, I come in as often as I can already (which isn't all that often right now since I'm temporarily living at my girlfriend's house down near Salem), but the amount I have to pay also kind of makes me wary of going and playing.

I say this even though I already buy my tokens in bulk, always $20 at a time. That's fine and good since it does save me some money (if I recall $20 = 90 tokens, which is 2 and a half "free" PIU games), but like many of Bloomington's other PIU players, I'm a college kid. I don't have the most expendable income in the world. I manage to pay for rent and food with the aide of my family's generosity, what few scholarships I get, and the occasional high interest loan (*groan*). I'll have a job next semester finally, but since I plan to stop borrowing from my family, I'll earn just enough each month to barely break even probably. With that in mind, that $20 I pop into the change machine becomes a very serious investment since that could also go towards many other things like say, oh... gas and its ever-rising cost, buying a gift for my girlfriend, a console video game, or whatever else.

A special deal that would allow me to get more than 2 and a half free games from my $20 investment would definitely get me in there more often. Not to mention that this would entice the other players in the community to come out more often, and really... that's something I kinda miss at Great Xscape. I love PIU and play it by myself there all the time, sure, but I miss the social aspect that Lazerlite had long ago (Joint Premium time in particular!). If it's more affordable to frequent players, they'll probably show up more often. More players more often, more people to socialize with. More socializing, more fun and inclination to pop in more often. Good times. But that could just be me, I think.

That's just my 2 cents. When I get back up there for some decent stretch of time, I'll pop in and get my PIU fix regardless. All I have down here is a hacked DDREX in a movie theater 20 miles away and ITG2 at a bowling alley in New Albany, both a bit too far for me to get to often. :lol:

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon May 22, 2006 11:17 am

So what do you guys think might be a fair system?

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon May 22, 2006 1:58 pm

Secef wrote:I love PIU and play it by myself there all the time, sure, but I miss the social aspect that Lazerlite had long ago (Joint Premium time in particular!). If it's more affordable to frequent players, they'll probably show up more often. More players more often, more people to socialize with. More socializing, more fun and inclination to pop in more often. Good times.
Hear, all ye good people, hear!

Agreed also that the bulk token discount isn't that big right now.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Mon May 22, 2006 2:22 pm

A possible alternative to the 'frequent player discount' would be to have special 'discount days'. These would be designated days when the PIU price would be lower, maybe to only 2 rather than 4 tokens? You could even pick a weekday, maybe the day that usually generates the least income.

That would encourage the group aspect that is sadly lacking right now, as Secef mentions. And since it would be on a day that is usually a slow day, it would help rather than hurt overall monetary income. So we all win :D

Just an idea....

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon May 22, 2006 2:35 pm

This is kinda what X-Site in Indianapolis does. Tuesdays tend to be pretty boring for them, especially during the school year. The Pump group gets together there on Tuesday nights to play, and they give a token deal (25 for $5, so 5 free tokens) on that day only. Of course, you can play things other than Pump with said tokens, and you don't have to spend them all then, but it does encourage us to show up.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon May 22, 2006 2:47 pm

In olden times, one of the Indy-bound companies issued frequent DDRer cards (not their real name) which then allowed access to certain events and specials. I don't know that I'm a fan of the "tacky membership card" approach, but I figured I'd at least share it with the assembled company.

great x scape
Standard
Standard

Post by great x scape » Tue May 23, 2006 10:07 pm

The boss and I have racked our brains about the frequent player system but it is much to difficult since we run on tokens and we would have to do it on the honor system. But the discount, it is a better idea. The boss had considered something similiar at one point but I think it's a good idea to do it. I'll pass this on too.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed May 24, 2006 12:26 am

I think a discount day would be cool, like everything below a dollar day, like on a weekday like tuesday or something where you drop the 4 token games to 2 tokens. Even though that was your idea Christina, but I figure I would throw it out there to see about how the people on here would like it. ^_^

great x scape
Standard
Standard

Post by great x scape » Fri May 26, 2006 2:27 pm

WE HAVE 2 NEW GAMES INSIDE THE NEO GEO FOUR GAME UNIT!!!!!

We have replaced Art of Fighting 2 with SVC Choas SNK vs. Capcom!

We have also replaced World of Heroes with Metal Slug 5!

So the new game line up for that machine is:
Samurai Showdown 2, SVC Choas SNK vs. Capcom, Metal Slug 5, and Bust a move!

come check it out!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat May 27, 2006 10:52 pm

love

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Sun May 28, 2006 11:19 pm

omg gonna have to get my mslug loving on <3

blazing stars is another good mvs game...should be cheap too :wink:
insert code compile execute return

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun May 28, 2006 11:34 pm

Yeah, I EASILY dropped about 6 dollars into metal slug and STILL didn't beat it, I will beat it next time ;).