Dance Beat Arcade --- RIP

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Dance Beat Arcade --- RIP

Post by malictus » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:26 pm

I was going to post this earlier but the site was down, then I forgot....

In case anyone doesn't know it yet, Dance Beat Arcade down in Nashville is out of business. Those of you who never had a chance to make it down missed a one-of-a-kind music game arcade experience.

I seem to remember some people planning a trip down there right before IndyDDR went down --- I hope you guys didn't drive all that way just to see that it was gone :shock:

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:31 pm

Maaaaaaan. That was on my "places to go before I die" list. What a shame.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:19 pm

It acutally isn't the DDRer's Mecca is was suppose to be. And I was kinda expecting this to happen.

They get an "A" for effort, but they had lots of little problems that really ruined the experince.

Some simple things they could have done to improve the place would have been...

-Move some of the machines to the second floor, the ground floor was kinda crowded, and the second floor was rather spacious.

-Got a different supplier. It's no fun for anyone when you get really bad machines with poor matenince.

-Put coverings over those huge-ass windows. Durring daylight hours, every machine in the place had a terrible glare, except for the ones that were facing away from windows... which were only about 3 of them.

-Hire a better repair-guy. Sure that high school kid you hired is a real wiz when it comes to a quick fix, but you really needed to hire a professional.

-Fix the wiring. It's just weird when all the machines are out of comish because you can't turn them all on without blowing a fuse.

-Fix or Replace the extreme machine. 8th mix would be the most popular mix out there. And the one you had was broken for several months.

-Provide Food and Drink. Yeah, you had a vending machine, but it didn't work half the time. That place would have been awesome if they had a consession stand. True: that might have cost more money than they had. But the profits skyrocket! Not only would they be making money selling food and beverage, people wouldn't leave the arcade to eat outside! The longer you can keep customers in your business, the more money they'll spend!

But most importantly...

-Have somebody on staff at all times! I feel really weird being the only vertabrate in that huge place. It makes me feel like I'm breaking in, and what if I needed a staff member to break a 20 or something? Besides... It's not a good idea to leave your business unattended so that people can just waltz right in. There's a black market for stolen arcade motherboards, and a kid with a screwdriver could have stolen every board in the place in less than 10 minutes. And not to mention one of the fundamentals of running any business is customer service! If your rude to your customers, why would they want to return? And litterally not being there while your place is open is really quite rude.

----------

Overall, I liked the DBA... It was a pretty fun place to go on the weekends. But it went downhill in a hurry when they quit caring. Especially when they hired that blonde fellow and that hot brunette chick... those two would spend hours, locking themselves in the office... obviously to do some paperwork... Kinda rude when you have customers outside waiting!

GaKki
Standard
Standard

Post by GaKki » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:50 pm

That sucks. I REALLY wanted to go there. They had some games that you have to go a ways to find. :(

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:16 pm

GaKki wrote:That sucks. I REALLY wanted to go there. They had some games that you have to go a ways to find. :(
... going to DBA was a ways away :P duh?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:07 am

This thread seems like the perfect occasion to post this picture:

Karl
Standard
Standard

Post by Karl » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am

DBA was an awesome place. I've got a couple of CD-R's filled with videos from my trips there. One of them is an 8 minute or so long session video featuring BURN, My Sweet Darlin', and You Give Love a Bad Name.

Also saw someone AAA Tears 1x down there, that was awesome.
The internet is serious buisness, kids.

Fujiwara Bunta
Standard
Standard

Post by Fujiwara Bunta » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:33 am

Fortunately, myself and Mei-Mei got a chance to go before they closed down. It was still awesome as hell, but the arcade was a sorry sight. Shit was always breaking and I couldn't get change for a got-damn $20. It was worth it, got to play Initial D version 2 (nostalgia) and F-Zero, which was one game that I wanted to play in the arcades before I died.

oh yeah, and some mm mmm good Guitar Freaks.