Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Potentially good news...Dave & Buster's in Indy

Post by Ho » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:33 am

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... S/81014025

Our GameWorks Studio was the first DDR community hot spot back in the day. I can remember spending hours there every week--often more than once--back in 2001. Of course early on it was quite simply the only choice for DDR in the area.

Later that year the torch passed to Block Party under the direction of the fantastic managers Ken and Troy who really went out of their way to welcome DDRers. They offered an environment much like a full-fledged GameWorks (not a Studio) with more entertainment options while waiting to play (or things for those less interested in DDR that tagged along with us) and food...yes, glorious food! They had great food at really reasonable prices. It was probably the most complete hangout location we've had here as a DDR community. Unfortunately, shady ownership eventually led to its closure. :(

Jillian's is a similar style of venue. It had so much potential when it opened. Restaurant, games, billiards, and even bowling in a club-like atmosphere. Their food is also quite good though more expensive. Unfortunately, they've never had any type of dance or music game at our location since they've opened. Even more frustrating, as of my last visit earlier this year, I would say the majority of the games in the game room are the same ones that were there when they opened almost 10 years ago. I generally like the place and would love to have a reason to go there...but they have failed to give me one.

Dave & Busters, for those of you not familiar with it, is yet another entertainment venue in this same vein. Every location I've been to (I think three of the them) has included a Pump It Up machine and that's certainly fine by me. None of them have had DDR or any other kind of music game, but I don't know if other locations do. The Castleton location is both good and bad in my view. It's certainly a retail hotspot with lots of other major businesses around, but it can also be a traffic nightmare and the location mentioned in the article is right in the thick of it.

I would love to see this place spur a resurgence of our flagging live community. So much has changed since the days when Indy regularly gathered around a DDR machine in a location such as this. Even the likes of Superfun, Rascals, and Westside now seem like distant memories. I imagine any community that may form around D&B will look quite a bit different. I just hope that it will be good.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Potentially good news...Dave & Buster's in Indy

Post by WhiteDragon » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:39 pm

Though D&B has traditionally been a Pump venue, according to ledline, the one that just opened near him has SuperNOVA 2 instead of Pump. Personally, I'll hold out hope for a new Pump machine, but I don't know if it will happen. :(
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:40 pm

Give a time as per when I should be there and I'll appear.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:47 pm

The thread belongs in locations.

Ya hurd?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:35 am

Amp Divorax wrote:Give a time as per when I should be there and I'll appear.
We need to wait for them to actually build it first. :P
Fluffyumpkins wrote:"I cans be mod nao plz?"
Yeah...you're right. Moved.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue May 19, 2009 12:41 am

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /905050327

I propose an event for the grand opening.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:16 am

Opening day is June 15th. Mondays are such great party days, but I'm going anyway. I guess this means 2 pump machines less than a mile away from each other.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 am

I have not heard any announcement as to what machines will be at our location. My initial post simply stated what I have seen at other Dave & Buster's locations--the 3 or 4 I've visited. I have no idea how representative those are of the entire chain or how our location will compare. I'm certainly hoping for Pump at our location, but I wouldn't make such a claim until I saw it for myself.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Wed May 20, 2009 11:22 am

Well, I'll be in Florida on the 15th, so I will have to just find out what they have from everyone else.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

ledline
Light
Light

Post by ledline » Fri May 22, 2009 11:30 pm

That location by me is actually owned by a private company, the Arlington Highlands. But they were going to get a PIU machine, but HQ decided to divert it to their new location in Tulsa, OK

There is another D&B in Frisco, TX (also privately owned, inside a mall) with Supernova 2.

but the 2 Flagship D&B locations in Dallas, TX (one right by HQ)[and all the other D&Bs in Texas all have PIU], both have PIU. So in other words, if it isnt by a private location of some sort like that, they should have pump.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:00 pm

I am really hoping that it's Pump. :)

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:14 pm

blackcat wrote:I am really hoping that it's Pump. :)
For hiring information please contact:
Castleton Commons
8458 Castleton Corner Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46250-3577
Job Line (317) 572-2706

Go for it Katy! They'd prolly pay more than Xscape.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:14 am

I have confirmed that the location does have Pump It Up. Which version though I have no idea.

Edit: Oh god no, it's PIU Pro! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Last edited by Amp Divorax on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:28 am

Amp Divorax wrote:I have confirmed that the location does have Pump It Up. Which version though I have no idea.
I heard from mike that it is Pro.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:43 pm

Yup. I have confirmed that Dave and Buster's have PIU Pro. In awesome condition. I lurved it :)

Half price Wednesday only goes on from open til 5pm.

It costs 5.8 points to play, you get a card from a kiosk and it will tell you how many points you get for however much. It's automatically 25% off if you win around 1,200 tickets I think they told me? So, play the dance games and then play some Deal or No Deal and the dance game will be cheaper. Woot.

Hours of operation...weekdays 11am-midnight, weekends (Friday/Saturday) 11am til 1am.

If you go there, it's ALLLLLLLLLLLL the way in the back. I had to go searching for it. I almost thought they didn't have anything dance game related at all, but I did, and it's all the way in the back.

Side note, they also have Guitar Hero. Which I've heard sucks, so I didn't play. Maybe I'll give it a try and report back for the Guitar Hero fans :)
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Go for it Katy! They'd prolly pay more than Xscape.
I am making friends with the people that work there first, just to make a good impression, and if they have any openings, I will definitely let them know that I am interested. :)