Latitude 360

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Latitude 360

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:30 pm

I am all for the ADA but I recognize there are pedants out there who generate predatory lawsuits in the name of the ADA and I feel that a comparison can be made between it and ASCAP insofar as that aspect. The ADA at least helps people some of the time and that's a genuinely good thing.

Full disclosure my worldview on the ADA is based pretty much entirely on that one Penn & Tell: Bullshit! episode -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Y3IhGo6EY

I am living a Libertarian nightmare.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:38 pm

Yeah, there are professional ADA trolls, too. Shopkeepers will sometimes find themselves on the end of the lawsuit cannon over something as trivial as their sink being 1/4" too high off the floor possibly just because the floor settled or something. This is often a partnership between a moderately disabled individual and an overzealous lawyer. As you might expect, most people who actually stand to truly benefit from ADA provisions due to real hardship tend to be willing to work with facilities management to correct violations or simply "live with" minor, technical violations (probably not even noticing - who carries a tape measure around and measures sink heights?) rather than going straight to a lawsuit.

Now, yes, I'm sure this isn't as widespread as media makes it out to be. The proverbial "welfare queen" comes to mind. People who abuse these sorts of things are exceedingly rare, but they're definitely out there.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:37 am

As an aside, I rewatched that Penn & Teller episode on the ADA yesterday and their main beefs were:

1) The government mandating that business owners, on their private land, adhere to ADA regulations where it's not practical or feasible.
2) The broad definition that the government uses to define a disabled person (something like 1/6 of Americans are disabled according to the act)
3) The ADA has created a perception that handicapped persons are more of a liability for business owners and has thus resulted in fewer people with disabilities finding employment
4) The ADA is a fools errand since there is no way all handicaps can be accommodated everywhere or there are accommodations where they are completely unnecessary (drive-up ATMs for example)

Of course they go about making these points in their own little goofy way but they really emphasized that human compassion is not something that should be mandated by the government and that business owners should have the right to use their property as they see fit just has handicapped people have the right to not patron places that refuse to accommodate them. It's about as Libertarian as a viewpoint as you can get. They also went into a case of a handicapped lawyer going around some small town in California suing every business that didn't adhere to ADA regulations even though the essentials were there (ramp, parking, door handles, etc.) but I'll admit it's anecdotal.

This has nothing to do with ASCAP

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:02 pm

Rich white people ranting about the freedom of business is about as Libertarian as it gets. Why doesn't everyone just become a magician and not be disabled, I mean seriously...

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Can we go back to talking about shit that makes people angry and making care posts? That was invigorating. I'm going to make the point that ASCAP does nothing more than take money away from cover bands even if they perform their own shit since there is some portion of all cover fees that go towards ASCAP fees instead of the venue or, you know, the actual people putting in the work to perform.

I sheepishly await a retort.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:37 am

FUCK YOU. EAT SHIT AND DIE.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:00 am

I am upset :(

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:13 am

Ho wrote:FUCK YOU. EAT SHIT AND DIE.
Ho's acting like a League of Legends player. This is scary!
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:38 am

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory ... _id=546079

I love it when CEOs try explain away losses as business strategy when it obviously wasn't expected at the start of the year.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:42 am

Wasn't the Latitude 360 here in Indy a movie theater or something before it got converted?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:30 pm

Yeah. It was the General Cinema Clearwater Crossing 12. I worked there when it opened.

Later it got taken over by THE WORST THEATER CHAIN EVER and became an AMC.

I'm exaggerating, of course. But my last 3 AMC experiences were all bad and at different theaters. So I'm considering it a systemic problem.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:37 pm

I really wanted to like Latitude, but I just...don't. I don't think they're particularly bad. But I don't think they're particularly good either. Aside from Pump, they just don't have anything there I can't do or see somewhere else. Although I guess I wouldn't mind bowling a couple games if we could get a group together.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:43 pm

We could all be a bunch of hipsters and do some duckpin bowling in Fountain Square, I had a decent enough time when I went but it can be a little expensive and it'll be cramped if there's a group.

Are there any good bowling alleys in Indy? Preferably one that isn't all about cosmic bowling and strobe lights and all that jazz - I just want regular ol' Johnny Sixpack bowling. Fort Wayne has like six but I'm not super familiar with the Indy bowling scene.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:06 pm

I've never had a problem with Pinheads in Fishers. They do have "cosmic bowling" sometimes, but they don't seem to take over every lane for it (and they have a ton).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Would you rather not bowl at Latitude? I was trying to give them a chance.