XSite

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

JL143
Light
Light

XSite

Post by JL143 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:55 pm

XSite got rid of their DDRMax 2 machine. Now they have a Pump It Up Exceed 2 Machine. Come to your own conclusions on that.
Yep.

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:09 pm

Good, now I have a reason to go there. I'll just go to Ben and Aris if I need Max 2 action (I really hope they don't upgrade to extreme now :-P)

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:24 pm

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Yes, hopefully Ben and Ari's won't upgrade their only machine to Extreme. Would there still be any MAX2 machines in town if they get rid of theirs? I know there used to be one at one of the United Skates.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XSite

Post by Ho » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:09 am

JL143 wrote:Come to your own conclusions on that.
What?! Seriously, that is the best DDR-related news I've heard all week.

yamcha61
Standard
Standard

Post by yamcha61 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:16 am

MonMotha wrote:SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Yes, hopefully Ben and Ari's won't upgrade their only machine to Extreme. Would there still be any MAX2 machines in town if they get rid of theirs? I know there used to be one at one of the United Skates.
they said that they are getting another machine along with their max 2
What happens when you get scared half to death twice?

Mr. Worm
Standard
Standard

Post by Mr. Worm » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:12 pm

Ho wrote:
You're joking, right?
I hate Pump it Up.

Now, if we want to play at Ben and Ari's on Fridays, we have to wait in the hour-long line of IndyDDRers.
>=(

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:53 pm

Mr. Worm wrote:
Ho wrote:
You're joking, right?
I hate Pump it Up.
To each his own, but sorry you're missing out on a really terrific game. I'm a big fan of DDR...and sure, PIU is not DDR. And that is precisely the point.

I hope you don't hate PIU for either of the following circumstances:

1) A preconceived notion...and you haven't even actually tried it.
2) Your only experience with it was at GreaTimes. (Then I'd understand why you didn't like it but would encourage you to give the game a chance on a machine that wasn't in such poor condition.)
Last edited by Ho on Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JL143
Light
Light

Post by JL143 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:53 pm

Well, he was with me yesterday at the machine and tried it and decided he didnt like it. I don't have a problem with it, except that its just not the same. When you go somewhere expecting one thing and get another with the thing you went there to do missing, you get a little iffed.
Yep.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:59 pm

I completely understand expectations. I prefer Coke, but I'll drink either Coke or Pepsi so long as I know what I'm getting. Heck, I'll even drink diet if you tell me that's what it is in advance. But if I take a sip expecting it to be one when it's actually the other...eww.

Try to keep an open mind about Pump. It's a very different experience from DDR even though it would appear to be very similar. There are a lot of patterns, motions, and music in it that you just won't find much of (if at all) in DDR. It can be a refreshing change of pace and a lot of fun if you give it a chance.

However, I will admit that it can be challenging to overcome DDR habits--especially when regarding the placement of the panels on the stage. But that can be part of the fun, too. I've probably also been playing DDR a lot longer and may be looking for something different more than a newer player who is still craving DDR specifically (that's just a guess, not a judgement).

If you decide you still don't like it after that...ok. Personal preference, of course, will always play a role. That's fine. Just give Pump a chance and don't write it off due to some silly prejudice. DDR is great...but that doesn't mean another similar game can't be, too. (again, just a statement and not a judgement)

Either way, I'm glad to have a Pump machine nearby...finally!

Mr. Worm
Standard
Standard

Post by Mr. Worm » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:07 pm

No, I hated it after I tried it on XSite's new machine last night. It made me a super sad panda.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:18 pm

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but some discussion on the matter would be more useful than just "I hated it."

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:53 pm

I'll have to try it before I can make a good judgement... but my mind is telling me I hate it right now.
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Mr. Worm
Standard
Standard

Post by Mr. Worm » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:52 pm

Everyone of the guys who went to B&As hated it, except for Grubb. He may have liked it; he was doing really well too.

There are many reasons why I don't like it.
1) It's taken on this high-tech sleek look bullshit. I'm not a robot; I prefer somewhat human interfaces.
2) There's no color variation in the arrows.
3) Choosing songs is awkward. No buttons on the console. At least on the PS2 version, you can stand in the middle of the pad.
4) The arrows are extreme difficult to read. I do admit this is because I'm unfamiliar with the game, but still, the layout is awkward.
5) Since the steps are farther away, it much less natural to step to one step, let alone a combo step.

It's like comparing Coke (DDR) to cough syrup (PIU).

Good news though. The workers said that since they're going to lose so much money on the machine, they'll get a DDR machine back. They tried telling their manager, but she said, "Deal with it."

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:07 pm

Mr. Worm wrote:Everyone of the guys who went to B&As hated it, except for Grubb. He may have liked it; he was doing really well too.
No, I didn't like it.

But yeah, I got first and second place on the score board without really trying, and messing up several times due to the fact that I'm used to DDR.

I'm sure somebody's going to have me bumped off within a week.

BladeFist87
Standard
Standard

Post by BladeFist87 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:06 am

ok for my 2 cents

I came into the expierece with an open mind. I will say that Mr. Worm is right on though. Interface is far to focused on being flashy than user-friendly. The songs were not nearly as enjoyable as the ones on my beloved Max2. It was awkward as well. I dident hate it, but i would pick ddr 5000 times before i would even consider that machine again.

But Laser Tagging was a blast :)

And the answer is: Yes, I did in fact, jack this idea from OrangeLounger. Booya.