Purdue Memorial Union

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

MSGAddict
Standard
Standard

Purdue Memorial Union

Post by MSGAddict » Sat May 28, 2005 4:13 pm

Who all plays at the Purdue Memorial Union???
I hope some people from this site fo there to play. It's a very nice machine. It is DDR Extreme and is very clean. Unfortunately, there is no memory card slot. That would be cool if there was though...

Ryan Dognaux
Standard
Standard

Re: Purdue Memorial Union

Post by Ryan Dognaux » Sat May 28, 2005 10:26 pm

MSGAddict wrote:Who all plays at the Purdue Memorial Union???
I hope some people from this site fo there to play. It's a very nice machine. It is DDR Extreme and is very clean. Unfortunately, there is no memory card slot. That would be cool if there was though...
Unless it has changed... you're kidding, right? Last I heard, the machine wasn't in great condition. And the Max2 sign was still up.
Ryan Dognaux
My Life

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Sun May 29, 2005 9:06 am

i'll be back up in the L town in July...doubtful I'll play because the arcade doesn't like me...I invented a new style of gaming called "Drunk Drunk Revolution" after hitting up the frat scene when I was 19. I don't reccomend it. They don't like it.
insert code compile execute return

MSGAddict
Standard
Standard

Re: Purdue Memorial Union

Post by MSGAddict » Sun May 29, 2005 10:05 am

Ryan Dognaux wrote:Unless it has changed... you're kidding, right? Last I heard, the machine wasn't in great condition. And the Max2 sign was still up.
Well, the sign for Max 2 is still up but other than the fact that only one speaker works...
...everything else is okay...
...I guess I exaggerated a little.

Ryan Dognaux
Standard
Standard

Post by Ryan Dognaux » Sun May 29, 2005 11:47 pm

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll be playing on it next year. But not the best machine by any means.
Ryan Dognaux
My Life

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Mon May 30, 2005 9:09 am

Ryan Dognaux wrote:Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll be playing on it next year. But not the best machine by any means.
Agreed, it's not a "very nice machine" by any means. Currently only one speaker even works, so all you get is a bunch of treble blasting out of the top left speaker. Also the pads are slowly getting unresponsive and more difficult to hold down freezes on some arrows. When I'm firmly standing on two arrows for a double freeze and I lose one or both freezes that is not a good thing.

I used to play at the Union, but I haven't for close to a month and a half now simply because I'm not going to give it any more money until it gets fixed.

The marquee isn't much of a part of the playing experience, so it doesn't bother me.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:29 am

I haven't played on it for a while but I actually never had any problems with the right pad...
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:24 am

When I fail every oni I play thanks to pad misses/boos I tend to blame it on, well, the pad. It's annoying to drop $1.50 in the machine to play double then fail 20 seconds into an oni because many of your steps aren't registering.

For the record the speakers have been fixed and the machine was downgraded to Max 2. The 2nd player pad seems worse than I remember it, though 1st player is more playable (than 2nd).

Ryan Dognaux
Standard
Standard

Post by Ryan Dognaux » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:19 am

Yes, MAX 2 is what I first started playing on... that will be nice next year to get away from the routine of Extreme.
Ryan Dognaux
My Life

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:04 am

LikeableRodent wrote:When I fail every oni I play thanks to pad misses/boos I tend to blame it on, well, the pad. It's annoying to drop $1.50 in the machine to play double then fail 20 seconds into an oni because many of your steps aren't registering.

For the record the speakers have been fixed and the machine was downgraded to Max 2. The 2nd player pad seems worse than I remember it, though 1st player is more playable (than 2nd).
downgraded?? :shock: they can do that? why?
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:39 am

Green Tea wrote:downgraded?? :shock: they can do that? why?
Well, technically, it isn't difficult. Most machines in the US are capable of such a thing.

Actually, it would be nice if arcades would start doing this. There's some really cool songs on the older mixes (especially 4th+ and 5th, pre MAX era) that most people rarely get to play. To many players, a 4th+ machine would be like getting a whole new mix of DDR since they haven't played the older songs (well, other than the whole 30fps things, and the lack of speed mods).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:01 pm

I'll also point out that the machine has autofail turned off.

Be prepared to sit (or play if you wish) all the way through Maxx Unlimited every time you get Extra Stage.

I've also given up on trying to play oni on that machine, as no matter what oni I do I seem to fail it by the middle of the second song thanks to phantom misses. I also have about a 50% rate of holding freezes on the second player side because they need so much pressure.