The future of Gameworks...?

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

The future of Gameworks...?

Post by malictus » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:44 am

Last Saturday my wife and I made a visit to Indy and we managed to make a brief stop at Gameworks. I only managed to play one game and I left soon afterwards (I had a terrible sinus headache and jumping on a DDR pad was making it worse... :cry: ) But it was good to see that DDR still manages to draw such a huge crowd there and it was good to see that Matt is getting so much better at those 10-footers :wink:

Anyway, I noticed that pretty much everything up on that floor has closed --- that gym, all the bars, etc.... AND that Gameworks is shrinking; they closed off that back section where all the redemption games used to be. Is Gameworks in danger of going out of business? I'd really hate to see the place where IndyDDR got its start going under...

Hoody2006
Standard
Standard

Post by Hoody2006 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:31 pm

I really hope gameworks doesnt shut down i have seen so many scores their, learned many things, and felt the ruch of having people watch me their it will be sad if Gameworks ends
if it doesnt matter who wins or loses then why do they keep score
-Vince Lombardi-

dc_slaughter
Light
Light

Post by dc_slaughter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:07 pm

My dad was telling me this one day.

He read in the paper that the whole 4th floor might turn into office space. I don't know how much of this is true, but he said he saw something about it. That bar has been shut down for awhile now, and lots of other things. But things might get closed down soon. I hope not though. Hope I'm wrong!
The youngest phenomenon to EVER hit IndyDDR! Not really...but some people may remember me...

Fujiwara Bunta
Standard
Standard

Post by Fujiwara Bunta » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:47 am

Well, uh, I hate to say it, but you're all wrong. GameWorks doesn't plan on shutting down anytime soon. Not only is it a corporate business, but those guys make WAY too much money to falter down now. They closed off the ticket redemption area because the machines weren't worth keeping and the money will go to purchasing new machines and paying for current ones (i.e.; Initial D), and I believe they are turning what was once the redemption area into something new.

So no, GameWorks isn't going anywhere, and if they do, I'm stealing the Initial D machine. :P

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:59 am

Thats ridiculious of you to even try to spread a stupid rumor like that slaughter. Gameworks has been at its best lately, with the hiring of Victor, and the new employees. They have got us new machines, and try to tend to us as best they can.

Gameworks is NOT closing.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:33 am

Well I certainly hope you guys are right. As you could tell from my post I don't really have any evidence, just a guess, so I wouldn't want to start any rumors. So I'll just assume for now that things are fine....

Ray_Clark
Standard
Standard

Re: The future of Gameworks...?

Post by Ray_Clark » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:38 am

malictus wrote:Last Saturday my wife and I made a visit to Indy and we managed to make a brief stop at Gameworks. I only managed to play one game and I left soon afterwards (I had a terrible sinus headache and jumping on a DDR pad was making it worse... :cry: ) But it was good to see that DDR still manages to draw such a huge crowd there and it was good to see that Matt is getting so much better at those 10-footers :wink:

Anyway, I noticed that pretty much everything up on that floor has closed --- that gym, all the bars, etc.... AND that Gameworks is shrinking; they closed off that back section where all the redemption games used to be. Is Gameworks in danger of going out of business? I'd really hate to see the place where IndyDDR got its start going under...
Hey I probably seen you last Saturday. I was wearing a red shirt and black pants. Isnt that Matt guy amazing? I believe he's the best in the state without question. I first seen him play on my birthday. Its September 2nd 2003 on a Tuesday (Gamesworks have 10 buck Tuesday Special;Unlimited gameplay from 3 to 9). Him and other players was tearing it up that day. Back then I was playing Light mode :lol: . He's great though. He's the standard of which DDR players should take note of. Hopefully, one day, I too will become a great player such as Matt. There are many other players who is real good out there. If I knew there names, I tell u exactly. Gamesworks at Circle Center has so much talent and so much potential it produces (me being one of them). That place generates more money than probably the rest of the stores in the mall including Finish Line :lol: . So to say that is Gamesworks' future is in jeopardy is insane! If anything, this place be the only one that could outlast the rest of the pack!

CaseyDidder

Post by CaseyDidder » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:01 pm

Isnt that Matt guy amazing? I believe he's the best in the state without question.
lol close but no cigar :)

Fujiwara Bunta
Standard
Standard

Post by Fujiwara Bunta » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:52 pm

CaseyDidder wrote:
Isnt that Matt guy amazing? I believe he's the best in the state without question.
lol close but no cigar :)
lol

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:24 pm

CaseyDidder wrote:Thats ridiculious of you to even try to spread a stupid rumor like that slaughter. Gameworks has been at its best lately, with the hiring of Victor, and the new employees. They have got us new machines, and try to tend to us as best they can.

Gameworks is NOT closing.
Whos that one girl with the long brown hair? Shes nice but she talks really loud.

I'm glad its not closing, but yah the redemption area was a bunch of bull. As for the other areas, thier location did pretty much suck for what they were.

I mean what drunk is going to want to wait for a long ass time for that elevator or even attempt the escalotor?

The meridian strip is only 2 blocks away and everything is ground level. :P

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:58 pm

Geez Guys,

Malic was just expressing his worries. Obviously, it's not closeing. Infact, when I was there last, it seemed to be doing better than it had been doing a year ago. What, with the conession stand reopened and things.

Calm down people. They're not going to close Gameworks. It's been there since the Mall opened, and it's a very popular place in Indianapolis.

Personally, I just wish they'd get Battletech back,

Rascals Fun Zone
Beginner
Beginner

Gameworks

Post by Rascals Fun Zone » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:53 pm

I think gameworks is a great place and a very cool concept but with the arcade buisness declining it just isn't going to last. If all the bars upstairs in Circle Center could not afford to pay the rent with as many people that went through there it must be difficult for a arcade. The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year and it will be interesting to see how long they stick around. I love their selection of games and the card system they use but it has to be expensive. If you want to see a link here ya go

http://www.hoovers.com/sega-gameworks/- ... heet.xhtml

I am not trying to put down another arcade they are a long ways away from us and going after a different market but just thought I would let all you guys know.

Rob

Fujiwara Bunta
Standard
Standard

Re: Gameworks

Post by Fujiwara Bunta » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:31 am

Rascals Fun Zone wrote:I think gameworks is a great place and a very cool concept but with the arcade buisness declining it just isn't going to last. If all the bars upstairs in Circle Center could not afford to pay the rent with as many people that went through there it must be difficult for a arcade. The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year and it will be interesting to see how long they stick around. I love their selection of games and the card system they use but it has to be expensive. If you want to see a link here ya go

I am not trying to put down another arcade they are a long ways away from us and going after a different market but just thought I would let all you guys know.

Rob
be sure to snatch up their initial d machine so us d-heads will have a place to nest :P

CaseyDidder

Re: Gameworks

Post by CaseyDidder » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:40 am

Rascals Fun Zone wrote:I think gameworks is a great place and a very cool concept but with the arcade buisness declining it just isn't going to last. If all the bars upstairs in Circle Center could not afford to pay the rent with as many people that went through there it must be difficult for a arcade. The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year and it will be interesting to see how long they stick around. I love their selection of games and the card system they use but it has to be expensive. If you want to see a link here ya go

Rob
Wow way to properly make youself into an asshole.

So much I want to say, but I won't. Lets jus say your little shithole has nothing to compare to gameworks. So what, you have a DDR machine? woopty doo.

For an arcade owner, and representative of your location, you sure don't know how to do your job.
be sure to snatch up their initial d machine so us d-heads will have a place to nest Razz
Fuck that, I wouldn't play initial D if he got it there. This scrub rather have skeeball or shoot-a-hoop.

Shit I rather play on Namco's FakeDDR stage at greenwood than go to Rascals after a idiotic post like that, and thats fucking low. No arcade should EVER be lower than Greenwood, but some how ma'am, you've done it.

Rascals Fun Zone
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rascals Fun Zone » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:39 am

Wow that sure wasn't the response I thought I would get lol. I did not put them down at all, I even complimented them. Like I said before they go after a completely different market then us. Most of Gameworks buisness is not from regulars it is from people visiting the mall. The only regulars they have are from DDR and Initial D. That is the sole reason redemption doesn't work there and is the #1 earner in other arcades. Further more, I like their selection of games and their card readers but I just don't know how long it can last. I did not want to start a arguement and I never said that we are better and never will I was just posting in a thread under this name. I talk to everyone in our store like a friend and I am trying to post like one.

Rob