Doom 3:X-box version

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Fri May 13, 2005 4:53 pm

Vince wrote:I can't stand it when a good PC game gets ported to console. Honestly, some games are just MADE for PC, and vice-versa. For example, Unreal Championship stunk, but DE took a lesson and UC2 was a lot more console-oriented and a completely different game in comparison to UT04.

I have Doom3 for PC, but my graphics card prevents me from getting a respectable framerate (i can get 35ish) and I'll likely play through it once I finish building my new computer. Kinda don't even want to touch the XBox version, Halo 2 has grown old on me and the only thing that has kept me interested in it is the social aspect, playing with friends.
Yep. We've said it before, and it never goes over well. I've never played a good PC to Console port, not once. Console to PC games are sometimes twitchy as well, but it's a little more varied at least.
Console gaming has it's advantages, but cutting edge technology, and Doom 3, don't fit to well on that list.
I'd rather wait for them to release a NEW console, with updated technology, and THEN release something like doom on it. That way, they don't have to tweak it and downgrade it so much.

Vince
Standard
Standard

Post by Vince » Fri May 13, 2005 11:32 pm

It's all right, but it just doesn't look "super pretty." I can get 60+ on most maps in UT04, then when I go play Doom3 I can immediately tell the difference. =\
-Vince
"I was seein this real good lookin woman for about six weeks until somebody stole the binoculars out of my truck." ~Larry the Cable Guy

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat May 14, 2005 12:21 am

You can't really appreciate the graphics engine in Doom 3 unless you turn the settings up all the way, which is really hard on your system. It eats video memory like candy. :shock:
However, it's extremely impressive if you can pull it off, and still get a decent frame rate. I can usually run it without any trouble, but every now and then my frame rate will drop.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:22 pm

Except that nothing was really "downgraded" for the Xbox version... even Carmack himself said that they were keeping the Xbox in mind when developing the engine to make sure it would run well on it... :?

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Sat May 14, 2005 1:26 pm

xbox doesn't support a lot of directx 9 features so i doubt it's similar to the HQ settings
insert code compile execute return

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sat May 14, 2005 1:41 pm

cmon........tell me a 700 mhz proc can run 1600x1200 8x AA, specular, with bump mapping, cmon, tell me, I dare you.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sat May 14, 2005 1:52 pm

Original Sin wrote: Yep. We've said it before, and it never goes over well. I've never played a good PC to Console port, not once.
Oh come on, what about Starcraft? Oh wait, shit......

......ok, ok. How about Diablo? Mannnnnnnnn.......

[/sarcasm]
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Vince
Standard
Standard

Post by Vince » Sat May 14, 2005 2:44 pm

Console Diablo. Yikes. I think I'd rather play Jimmy Johnson's VR Football.
-Vince
"I was seein this real good lookin woman for about six weeks until somebody stole the binoculars out of my truck." ~Larry the Cable Guy

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat May 14, 2005 3:29 pm

xK1 wrote:Except that nothing was really "downgraded" for the Xbox version... even Carmack himself said that they were keeping the Xbox in mind when developing the engine to make sure it would run well on it... :?
Perhaps on the lowest possible graphics setting, but there is no way the X Box can pull off the high res, or even decent res. PC graphics settings. No way.
And Doom 3 on the low graphics setting really isn't very spectacular....the lighting effects are still nice, buy the graphics are pixely, and you lose the life-life detail.

Just for comparisons sake, my PC has 1 gig of ram, and a 128 mb video card. I can barely pull of the high res graphics. Barely, and it usually lags out on me.
Minimum system requirements for Doom 3, this is just to RUN, not run well, is 64 mb of video memory, pentium 4.5, athlon XP 1500+ processor,
384 mb ram, and 100% direct X 9 compatable.
Now, Doom 3 will not run well on these settings....it'll boot up. That's about it. If you're lucky you can shoot a few things before it lags out on you.

Vince
Standard
Standard

Post by Vince » Sat May 14, 2005 5:55 pm

Doom 3 would undoubtedly look sexy on the XBox 360 though. Maybe they'd consider re-releasing it for that.
-Vince

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun May 15, 2005 1:49 am

They should have just done that to begin with.
Although, the Original Doom was released on all kinds of different consoles, so they just might do that. It was released on SNESE (which sucked, major engine downgrades.) Then, it was also released on sega 32X, and Playstation, and was eventually even released (with a slightly tweaked OpenGL style graphics engine and new levels) as Doom 64 on the N64.
So, we might see multiple versions of Doom 3 after the new consoles hit, but it's too early to tell.
Personally, I'd love to see them remake Doom 2 with Doom 3 graphics. Not identical, but the same concept. Hell on earth. That would be....orgasmic, so to speak.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Sun May 15, 2005 1:23 pm

Jesus, I never said that it runs as well on a high end PC than it does on the Xbox, in fact, quite the opposite:
xK1 wrote:It goes without saying that it will look better on a higher end PC
It does however look better on the Xbox than it would on my PC, since I can't afford a good computer. I'm not even sure why all of you guys are so concerned about this. I have the game, I think the graphics look fine on my shitty TV, and I enjoy it. That's all that matters.

EDIT: And for the record, my friends and I had alot of fun playing the Playstation version of Diablo in co-op mode.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun May 15, 2005 3:09 pm

I havn't played the X Box version yet, so I'm not sure what they changed about it, aside from adding Co-Op. Co-op mode would be alright, I guess, but Doom isn't all that great when it comes to multiplayer, and there really aren't enough enemies to make a good Co-op game.
Now, on the Original Doom, bump it up to Ultra Violence, and you've got one hell of a co op game... :shock:

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:41 pm

Well Sin after now playing both i would have to state that though the Xbox lacks in graphic goodness, but the Xbox port is vey well done.... :\

the Demo Video that plays from the Title screen looks like utter CRAP the game play is very nice looking....

if you dont have the PC to Run DOOM3 i recomend at least renting this
Last edited by seveneleven on Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:27 pm

Seveneleven: The necromancer
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.