AGH Guys the 360 is NOT as cool as you think it is ok?

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:37 pm

CaseyDidder wrote:the whole reason to buy a xbox 360 can be justified alone imo by Dead or Alive 4. DOA is the best fighting series to date IMO, closely followed by Marvel vs Capcom 2
I still play DOA2:Hardcore. Fun stuff.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:05 pm

RyogAkari wrote:You also have to understand, though, that I'm a big console fan and not much of a computer fan.
This amuses me since the Xbox is a PC under the hood. Besides, your reasoning just doesn't make sense to me anyway. I have no idea what being a console fan has to do with being preferring the Xbox over the Sony's or Nintendo's offerings--which themselves are consoles. If you were saying you preferred it over a PC or a Mac, then maybe it would make some sense to me.

RyogAkari
Standard
Standard

Post by RyogAkari » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:10 pm

The reasons that they posted for not likeing the XBox was because they were just ports of games that they are currently playing on their PCs. Basically waht I was saying was I am a console fan instead of a computer fan so I would rather play it on a console. I was also somewhere in there doing comparisons for the upcoming generation of consoles as compared to the xbox so I was using the xbox to fight two fronts.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:27 pm

Ho wrote:This amuses me since the Xbox is a PC under the hood. Besides, your reasoning just doesn't make sense to me anyway. I have no idea what being a console fan has to do with being preferring the Xbox over the Sony's or Nintendo's offerings--which themselves are consoles. If you were saying you preferred it over a PC or a Mac, then maybe it would make some sense to me.
XBox is essentially a PC, but it is optimized for gaming, there aren't the same required background processes found on a personal computer. But everything else is the same.

Although I'm waiting for the PS3 before I buy into the whole next-gen stuff :D there have been enough complaints about the XBox 360's lack of adequate storage space on their wonderful HD-DVD format discs... (that will be their downfall)
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:27 pm

I understood the second front. Thank you for the clarification on the one.

My current consoles were all purchased and/or acquired specifically to play Bemani games. However, I have played some other games on them as well. But personally, I'm the opposite. I prefer PC gaming to console gaming. However, in recent years I simply don't game much at all other than Bemani. In either case, the console wars are mostly a non-event for me.

RyogAkari
Standard
Standard

Post by RyogAkari » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:30 pm

The console wars are also somewhat non-exsistent for me being that I purchase all of the consoles anyway. I may have a favorite, but when it comes down to it, there usually are good games on each console that make that console worth playing it so each console has merit in it's own way.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:45 pm

RyogAkari wrote:The console wars are also somewhat non-exsistent for me being that I purchase all of the consoles anyway. I may have a favorite, but when it comes down to it, there usually are good games on each console that make that console worth playing it so each console has merit in it's own way.
:( I wish I had enough money to do that, there were plenty of good systems back in the day, like wonderswan color (well it was a handheld but still amazing). Although WonderSwan was a complete flop in the US, (similar to the Atari Lynx) it still was pretty amazing... or should I mention the Atari Jaguar ;) that was a simply amazing system, graphics like the N64 (it was a 64 bit machine (kinda)) But just couldn't sell as much. Even though it came out 3 years before the 64 ever existed (1993)

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:04 pm

RyogAkari wrote:The reason to buy a 360 hasn't come out yet (lest you guys forget that Halo is an xbox only title). But what else are you guys going to buy? A PS3? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That to me is the laughable system. Obviously the Nintendo Revolution is a shoe in on my purchase list, but the 360 is high up there too. Ridge Racer 6 looks beautiful to me and it will probably be the first game I get for it.

The XBox was easily my favorite console of the past generation. My favorite console of this upcoming generation will probably be the Revolution, but the xbox will not be taking much of a backseat to it. The console that I'm tired of is Sony's POS. I only play my Playstation anymore because of the Bemani and having cracked it wide open with the hard drive exploit.

You also have to understand, though, that I'm a big console fan and not much of a computer fan. I've played quite a bit of UT2K4 and some other titles from the past (diablo II, Warcraft, Starcraft, etc), and I'm even getting into Guild Wars now, but my dedication has always been to consoles (and more so to handhelds now a days it seems being that my schedule keeps me out of the house).

So what if I'm an xbox fanboy? XBOX will still be the underdog for this upcoming generation and I've liked cheering on an underdog from time to time. I probably wont get one for a year, but I will be getting one.
What you've failed to take into acount is the wide variety of games that are available in the world of video-gaming, and how not everyone enjoys the same games as everyone else. I for one am an RPG and survival/horror fanboy, and historically, this has been the realm of the Playstation. Thus, why would I waste my money on an Xbox, when there are NO games on it that I enjoy? The only ones I'd even play are Xbox ports from playstation/PC games!
And so what if Halo is an Xbox only title? If I want to play FPS's, I fire up my desktop PC. I've got plenty, and there are plenty more coming that can blow Halo out of the water.
My point being, it's not about system superiority...who cares what kind of hardware something is sporting, if there are no games you enjoy on it?
The revolution may be promising, if it can do some of the things I've heard about. But what I'm concerned with are GAMES, not systems. Consoles are nothing more than tools, the games themselves are what make or break a system.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:23 pm

Original Sin wrote:My point being, it's not about system superiority...who cares what kind of hardware something is sporting, if there are no games you enjoy on it?
Precisely. I'm thrilled that someone gets that.

In that respect, I'm something of a reluctant console owner. PC Bemani and rhythm games are generally unofficial, undersupported, or flat out non-existant.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:40 pm

i highly doubt your xbox is unmodified if your ps2 is modded.

having said that, most xbox games aren't worth spending 3 seconds playing with. If someone bought me 70% of the xbox titles out there I would stab them for having terrible taste. on top of that, emulators don't make the actual system better. The xbox developer fiesta will never happen again. The whole reason so many programs were ported is because the chip arch is the same. Porting assembly from x86 to ppc is cumbersome and when your emulator core is full of assembly hacks well...yeah. won't happen.

i really like my ps2. you have to realize it's 5 years old now and if you think about it the console has had quite a run. reinventing console gore with gta 3, gt3 and then the evolution into gt4, TONS of square rpgs, MGS 2 & 3, for the football freaks madden, katamari damacy, various other rpgs like wild arms 3, suikoden 4 and a billion other titles. even though it's quite dated in comparison to today's grahpic standards there are tons of games worth trying.

i wouldn't really call me a sony fanboy though, my heart always lies in my gamecube with a near-complete nintendo collection <3 (gba, ds, gbc,gbm & vb also included)
insert code compile execute return

RyogAkari
Standard
Standard

Post by RyogAkari » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:35 am

sam wrote:i highly doubt your xbox is unmodified if your ps2 is modded.
Well, doubt it all you want. I'm relatively uncomfortable with modding my systems. The only reason I did it to the ps2 is because it's a soft mod rather than a hard mod. Basically I have a CD program that boots the hard drive. It's quick, relatively inexpensive and completely safe for your PS2. Plus the games run with virtually no loading times in comparison to having it run from DVD.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:26 pm

RyogAkari wrote:
sam wrote:i highly doubt your xbox is unmodified if your ps2 is modded.
Well, doubt it all you want. I'm relatively uncomfortable with modding my systems. The only reason I did it to the ps2 is because it's a soft mod rather than a hard mod. Basically I have a CD program that boots the hard drive. It's quick, relatively inexpensive and completely safe for your PS2. Plus the games run with virtually no loading times in comparison to having it run from DVD.
I'd argue that HD Loader/HD Advance does not constitute a mod.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:47 pm

nope don't count

and there are software hacks for xbox

also did anyone see the x360's dvds were already cracked? isos on the net :lol:

also the 360 has just a standard DVD drive...Uses dvd9 not HD-DVD.
insert code compile execute return

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:27 pm

sam wrote:also the 360 has just a standard DVD drive...Uses dvd9 not HD-DVD.
are you sure?? I could've sworn they were using HD-DVD.... that is a huge mistake and I now fully understand why developers were angry at them for lack of available space.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:07 am

I thought it was common knowledge that it was a regular DVD drive? It's theoretically possible for them to "upgrade" to a HD-DVD drive down the line, but Microsoft says that they don't plan to do that in order to avoid alienating their customer base.