Lan Party/Tourney.... And the disscussion of it.

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Would you participate?

Yes.
40%
No.
60%

Total votes: 5

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Lan Party/Tourney.... And the disscussion of it.

Post by letshavetea » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:27 am

Tell me if this would interest anybody here. (not that you would really be able to participate considering I live in Wisconsin)

My Plan: To Create an area for constant LAN parties and Tournements.

The Area I could clean out my garage (two car garage that we dont put cars in) and use that for the space for this plan. We would put up couches and whatnot in there and have it be an overall decent playing environment.

What you need to bring. All you need to compete is $5 and a controller.

Money It would be a $5 entrance fee for a tourney and %30 of that money would go twards the winner and the other %20 would go twards 2nd place. The other %50 would go twards fixing up the garage and getting better chairs and overall making it a better place to play games in.

The Games Mainly Halo 2 and Halo 1 but the thing is, I would make up a map pack that had all NEW maps for both games. So people could come down and play maps they have never played before on their favorite games. After the tourney I could mod their Xboxes and sell them copies of the DVDs with the maps on them. There would be a possibility of a few new maps every time we have a tourney (once or twice a month)

The money collected from those DVDs would go twards getting more DVDs and some of that would go into my pocket. I would also be able to mod their xboxes($30) in which that money would also go into my pocket.
(or possibly a bigger overall pool of money where that money goes to the person who got the most wins throughout the tourney)

My town and the surrounding towns all have massive amounts of Halo players and so I could easily get a LOT of people for the tourney. But the thing is, would you be willing to pay $5 to enter a tourney like this? (it would be $5 for EVERY tourney you come to) I have a nice location for it (right in the middle of town across the street from a convinence store so if anybody wants something they could go get it, plus I could sell soda and whatnot at the tourneys.

My dad is cool with us using the garage and he fully supports my plan here. I am going to start cleaning out the garage tonight (getting the stuff worth saving out of it) and then either this weekend or next we will begin emptying the full garage.

I already have 10 people set on coming to this event.... thats 10 out of 10 people I have asked and they are all extremely excited about it.

I guess what the point of this post is... Would you come to this type of event? Would you pay the $5 to enter? And what more would you suggest that I do to make this event even better?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:50 am

More computers, less Gaylo.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:22 am

I was hoping for some honest oppinions here sir... I understand that you dont like halo but im saying do you think this is a good idea

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:33 pm

Fine. It might be a success on a local level, but don't expect to draw people in that aren't friends and people you already know. After all, you'll be hosting it in your garage. Do you have enough Xboxes or should people bring their own?

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:34 pm

I got to the part about halo and stopped reading
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:36 pm

I'd at least try it out. If it was me, I wouldn't charge $30 to mod their boxes that's quite steep...unless you're talking hardmod cuz then you need to buy the modchips, but for softmod, I would say around $10-15.

-Dan

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:36 pm

I have enough equipment like I said all anyone would need to bring is $5 and a controller.

I will have roughly 8 xboxes plus any that anybody decides to bring, I am hyping this thing up around town here and I talked to another 5 people since I posted who would come along and they all seemed excited about it.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Also, it may be untimely to start this now, considering that now Xbox 360's out, and you never know when Halo 3 (or some other fun FPS) may become the must-have killer app.

-Dan

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:45 pm

Grow the fan base, save up money, and start looking into other locations (like hotels and colleges that will rent you a space for your events). Eventually, you will want to move out from your garage.
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:49 pm

FLAKK wrote:Eventually, you will want to move out from your garage.
This just struck me as funny coming from a guy who just bought a Pump machine for his house. ;)

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:24 pm

Meh, I guess I kind of don't have room to talk. But if his plan is a success, gamers will begin to understand how sardines feel (assuming he sticks with the garage).
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:42 pm

FLAKK wrote:Meh, I guess I kind of don't have room to talk. But if his plan is a success, gamers will begin to understand how sardines feel (assuming he sticks with the garage).
Well, I'm certainly not making fun of you. I have even less room to talk in that regard. I just struck me as kind of funny given your recent purchase. If you're anything like me, you'll probably enjoy having people over to play. But you are quite correct that space can become a real concern as the number of visitors grows.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:49 pm

dance1005 wrote:I'd at least try it out. If it was me, I wouldn't charge $30 to mod their boxes that's quite steep...unless you're talking hardmod cuz then you need to buy the modchips, but for softmod, I would say around $10-15.

-Dan
I have been modding boxes in town here (softmod) for like 6 months now probably 40 boxes or so... all of which Ive charged $30 and im getting away with it... haha ill stick with $30 (there is a guy in town who does hard mods for $70 so... im the only alternative... and people seem to like it haha)

I know as demand grows I would need a bigger space. Im planning on this just being a summer thing for now and if it escalates and I get a lot of people to come along i could upgrade and all that, but for now I dont really care and I think my garage would be just fine. I cleaned out it today and all I have left to do is get rid of these huge cabinates. (Im gunna see if I can rent a storage unit for a few months :P they have them like crazy right outside of town here plus I know the owner of them so I could easily get a discount)
dance1005 wrote:Also, it may be untimely to start this now, considering that now Xbox 360's out, and you never know when Halo 3 (or some other fun FPS) may become the must-have killer app.

-Dan
I know the 360 is out, but in my area it didnt do so hot and I know so many people that are set with Halo and they love their Halo. I have kids comin from three or four cities and I know that I can get a lot more to come from my town here.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:18 pm

the halo argument has been done over and over, and the same decision was reached everytime.

the game fucking blows and always will, quit wasting your time on a piece of shit. Its so bad it deserves no effort for me to even think or attempt of coming up with something clever.

why do noname faggots attempt to be smart to me :(
Last edited by CaseyDidder on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:35 am

CaseyDidder wrote:the halo argument has been done over and over, and the same decision was reached everytime.

the game fucking blows and always will, quit wasting your time on a piece of shit. Its so bad it deserves no effort for me to even think or attempt of coming up with something clever.
Then why did you post?

-Dan