Fighters Rejoice! Indy Gameworks Tournament

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Jizzon

Fighters Rejoice! Indy Gameworks Tournament

Post by Jizzon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:19 pm

Finally, a big fighting game event at Gameworks! Long thought to be extinct, the Indy fighter scene has pulled forth to create what is sure to be an epic event. Tournaments galore, smack talk, money matches...it doesn't get any better. People are coming from several states away to take the titles in 3S, ST, MvC2, and CvS2...along with hordes of side events all day. Check the thread on SRK here to get the details.

Indy and Fort Wayne area discussion can fill you in even more on who's coming, or if you want to carpool with anyone.
People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage others.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:21 pm

i am beyond butthurt that i won't be able to participate in this

why are there no tournaments going on from September 20th to October 1st at all :(

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:06 am

Given my bosses decide not to act retarded I'll most likely be going there with my laptop, a Playstation Adapter, and MAME with 3rd Strike on it!
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:04 am

liquidblue aka DBV wrote: why are there no tournaments going on from September 20th to October 1st at all :(
Because there are rarely ANY tournaments in Indiana EVER.

Jizzon

Post by Jizzon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:19 pm

danc1005 wrote:
liquidblue aka DBV wrote: why are there no tournaments going on from September 20th to October 1st at all :(
Because there are rarely ANY tournaments in Indiana EVER.
Amen to that. If something does occur, it's usually at someone's house :wink: Seeing something of this scale nearby is very refreshing, and exciting.

It sucks you can't be out that early, Dez! It will be nice to finally see what the Indy scene is capable, both in terms of competition and the ability to draw a crowd.
People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage others.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:26 pm

maybe uhhh you should have a sequel tournament... you know, between september 20th and october 1st :O

as for Indy not having a lot of tournaments, i remember back in the day, you guys were having them like every two months, it was insane

immortalbmw
Standard
Standard

Indy Gameworks fighting game tournaments - 1/12/08

Post by immortalbmw » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:37 pm

Ok there is a sequel tournament being held. January 12, 2008 at Gameworks in the mall.

Here is the official thread and there will be plenty of good competition for each game as well as some nice prize money and raffle prizes so everyone come on out.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=144738

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:03 am

I was at the first event, but it ended up a pretty big waste of time for me due to their decision to not do any Guilty Gear action at the last minute. I will also state that I carry an epic dislike for Gameworks (I have a ton of reasons, but the two biggest red flags that stand out are the obvious price gouging and failure to conduct regular preventive maintence on most of their machines my dislike is more than justified.) and I simply won't spend any money to support what I consider the very essence of what is wrong with US arcades.

If they guarantee Accent Core then I'll think about going. From there though the only joystick that I have right now is Xbox 360 and no adapters to get it working on other systems exist. (If somebody has info on a Playstation 1/2 adapter please drop a line in my direction.)

Let me state though despite my less than enthuiastic point of view of this event that this is a great event for the fighting games that they have guaranteed.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

immortalbmw
Standard
Standard

Post by immortalbmw » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:12 pm

Isn't anyone interested in this event? There is supposedly going to be guaranteed Smash Bros. and Guilty Gear which seems to be the first thing you guys on this board always bring up as the reason for not coming. Plus there will be SF3 3rd Strike, Tekken 5 DR, and much more. I know this is a DDR forum (or a music video game forum) but don't you guys play anything else BESIDES music games? :lol:

Plus remember if you come (and I believe you must participate in at least one tournament game) then you are eligible to buy raffle tickets for $1 each to win prizes like a PSP and/or PS3. Good stuff.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:33 pm

immortalbmw wrote:Plus remember if you come (and I believe you must participate in at least one tournament game) then you are eligible to buy raffle tickets for $1 each to win prizes like a PSP and/or PS3. Good stuff.
Lmao that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.
"You're eligible to PAY MONEY for a CHANCE at winning something."
AWESOME

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:21 pm

I didn't realize there'd be Smash in the mix. I'll see if I can get some time off!
danc1005 wrote: Lmao that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.
"You're eligible to PAY MONEY for a CHANCE at winning something."
AWESOME
$1 for a shot at a PS3 or PSP doesn't sound like a bad deal to me, assuming the prize pool is limited only to the participants of this tournament.

Jizzon

Post by Jizzon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:42 pm

I'm in. Looking forward to seeing many of you again :twisted:

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Ok, I attended this event along with Jizzon and honestly I was rather underwhelmed. Once again Accent Core didn't happen despite guarantees to the otherwise and there being enough people there before 8 PM. (Some of the players, including one that really kicked ass as Eddie had to leave shortly after that point which was extremely unfortunate.) Also, the the Smash Bros entry fee got changed from $5 to $10 at the last minute which was shady as hell. Another red flag for me is the fact that Circle Center as a whole has this hardon for raping people's wallets in one way or another whether it be for food or just on parking. The biggest red flag though was that there was some thievery going on there.

If they will hold future events elsewhere I will consider attending them cause I like the idea of doing regular tournaments in Indy, but due to the overall shady nature that I have seen at Circle Center I don't see myself attending any future events there.

The main thing that I saw though is that I should hold off on doing any serious gameplay on Smash Bros until Brawl cause of how much my skills have atrophied.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

immortalbmw
Standard
Standard

Post by immortalbmw » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:20 pm

First off thanks to anyone from this site who attended. I don't know hardly anyone from IndyDDR but there were a few I have kept in touch with and/or recognized at the tournament. Apparently Smash Bros. and Soul Calibur 3 is what it took to get IndyDDR out to one of these Indy fighting tournaments. :lol:

That being said, as Divorax mentioned there were things that ended up missing. They were stolen and it's as simple as that. I don't think anyone really knows who did it so I'm certainly not accusing anyone from this site of being guilty. It literally could have been anyone at the tournament.

The only reason I bring this up as a special point is that the Indy crew that runs these tournaments (and is planning to keep this up every 3 or 4 months now) has already shown much displeasure with the Smash community as a whole that attended. These things that were stolen were Smash Bros. related stuff including a Gamecube itself.

Less that 24 hours after this tournament and the Indy crew is already debating whether they will throw more Smash tournaments in the future. Just letting this be known because I will be sure to help them advertise when the next tournament comes around but don't be shocked either way if they decide to run Smash again or not.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:39 pm

GW is becoming jank-o. I wouldn't allow my Gamecube near that room, and in my opinion it would be wise to find a better place for such a tournament.

That said, I'm sorry I missed the smash!