STARCRAFT

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: STARCRAFT

Post by Riot » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:44 pm

You idietz can add me but I am just on a guest pass so until (/if) I get the game, you probably won't see me. Plus, there's no way I'm playing ranked online for awhile until I learn the game.

But srunderw@gmail.com

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:33 am

Riot wrote:How many resource drone guys should I be making? Is it one of those things that I should always be making more, or is there a limit that I should be hitting and then focusing on other things?
Ideal for gas is 3 per. Mineral nodes, I go 3 per. Some people stick with 2 but they're lamersssssssss. Terran mules change things a bit so a terran player might be able to help you better.

Then you have to decide if you're going to expand. If you're going to expand then you should typically produce more workers to saturate your expansion.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:55 am

I learned how to play Terran kinda and think I am better with them. I normally close off the entrance with a barracks and two supplies, then build gas and upgrade the base for MULES, then pump out 3 reapers to go and sneak into their base and kill their probes. Then I build up two more barracks and a lot of supply depots, and keep pumping out marines and marauders until I have a big enough force to go invade with. Worked well so far.

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 am

Riot wrote:I learned how to play Terran kinda and think I am better with them. I normally close off the entrance with a barracks and two supplies, then build gas and upgrade the base for MULES, then pump out 3 reapers to go and sneak into their base and kill their probes. Then I build up two more barracks and a lot of supply depots, and keep pumping out marines and marauders until I have a big enough force to go invade with. Worked well so far.
This has worked pretty well for me so far as well, except I'm a sucker for big explosive things with Arnold Schwarzzeneger's voice so I eventually tech to Thor's (after building 2 barracks and pumping out a bajillion marines and marauders.

Also I found that bunker's are pretty decent for defense against early small unit raids. Just stick a bunker near a choke and you're pretty much set.

Also my in game name is Frisbez but I dunno my friend code. Email is richie_terry@taylor.edu if that helps...haha.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Trial just ran out. Did pretty well I think. I can beat the computer on hard mode, which isn't that impressive I guess but not bad for someone who has never played a starcraft game ever before yesterday. Overall I'm probably like 10-3, including both 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4s with some friends. I've been playing Terran and doing mostly just Marauder/Marine swarms with Reaper rushes early on. It works well but can sometimes be tricky in 3v3 or 4v4. Anyways I'm getting like $110 in Amazon credit since I sold them a bunch of stuff so I'll probably get this game and something else... what should I get? The new Blazblue, Red Dead Redemption, or should I just save it? HMMMMM

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:48 am

SoDeepPolaris wrote:
Riot wrote:How many resource drone guys should I be making? Is it one of those things that I should always be making more, or is there a limit that I should be hitting and then focusing on other things?
Ideal for gas is 3 per. Mineral nodes, I go 3 per. Some people stick with 2 but they're lamersssssssss. Terran mules change things a bit so a terran player might be able to help you better.

Then you have to decide if you're going to expand. If you're going to expand then you should typically produce more workers to saturate your expansion.
Agreed, but I would like to add that if you're Terran / Protoss you should always be building workers as you will want to saturate expansions and recover from worker harassment as soon as possible. So yeah, there shouldn't be an ideal number of workers to make since you will *always* be making them. Have your command center(s) bound to a control group and check them every few seconds to make sure they are being productive.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:23 am

Merk add me srunderw@gmail.com

Do you play Terran? You should train me. I'm okay, but obviously I'm pretty terrible in the spectrum of things since I'm pretty much completely new to SC and RTS games. I've been mainly doing MMM ball and getting 3 barracks (1 reactor, 2 tech lab usually) and pumping out Marines and Marauders with their upgrades (and those from engineering bay). If the game lasts for a little while, I'll usually go for a starport and get some medivacs and maybe some cloak banshees if things go really long. But I mainly just do MM/MMM all the time and I never really expand to a second base ever or mess with Siege Tanks or things from the Factory. How do you play Terrans?

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:42 am

Riot do you want to play tonight?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:46 am

Merk wrote:Riot do you want to play tonight?
Nah I'm playing Magic tonight. Maybe tomorrow......!? There might be a window of time tonight between when you get home at 5-ish and I play at 7pm, though I don't know if I will be out during that time. We'll see.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:51 am

Holy shit you still play magic? I thought that was a one month fad!

Let's play a really quick game at 5:30. Sound good?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 am

Merk wrote:Holy shit you still play magic? I thought that was a one month fad!

Let's play a really quick game at 5:30. Sound good?
If I'm home!

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:27 am

I've been playing some multiplayer the last few days, mostly 3 vs 3. I actually placed into Gold, which I'm not sure is correct because now I'm mostly getting stomped.

I've got a decent build down for Terran and can generally hold off the first few attacks, but then I get crushed in the mid late game because I'm too busy trying to recover and I'm not pumping out vikings/Thors/Battlecruisers to counter the inevitable Void rays/mutalisks/spam. It also doesn't help that generally there's at least 1 person on your team that's bad and will get proxy pylon'd/zerg rushed.

I think I might start playing some 1 vs 1, but I want to figure out how to use Zerg so I can play random. I found a good tutorial for early game Protoss, and I've played enough Terran to be decent with them I guess, but I can't seem to figure out Zerg. Having to choose between making drones and making attacking units is kinda difficult.

In other news http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft has some awesome games. Dimaga vs HasuObs is an epic long game as well as any of the WhiteRa/TheLittleOne/Idra games.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:35 am

1v1s are definitely the way to go in my opinion and are the true test of skill. 2v2s are okay, but anything higher than that requires you to think and play wildly different. My 3v3 team placed in bronze with a 3-2 placement match record so it's definitely not unheard of to get placed in some random division.

Random advice tangent: Don't give a fuck about your record, just play play play. It's best to just get experience so you can get prepared for different builds. I'd rather lose 10 times to cheese and learn how to beat it instead of winning 10 standard non-cheesy games and lose to cheese.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO PLAY TONIGHT LET ME KNOW I'LL BE ON FROM 5:45ish TO PRETTY MUCH WHENEVER

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:38 am

I'll probably be on to play. PROBABLY. Merk I am going to beat you you will not see it coming.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:17 pm

It's not that hard to beat me - I am not very good T_T