STARCRAFT

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: STARCRAFT

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Yeah! I'm actually really excited to play tonight so yeah yeah yeah let's play and have fun

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:59 pm

I'll be on later in the night, I wouldn't mind joining you guys if that's cool.

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:48 am

Did my 1 vs 1 placement matches. Went 2-3. Bronze...lolol. I should be silver soon though I hope, I won 3 in a row after the placement.

My worst match was Zerg vs Terran with me as Zerg. I obviously have no idea how to use Zerg because the dude just turtled like crazy and despite zergling rushing his SCVs, then Mutalisk bombing his base, then finally Nydus worming a hydra/roach army in I couldn't kill him. He teched up to Thors and stomped me.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:02 am

Blahhh,

I'll admit I'm not the best person to talk to about zerg but as a Terran player zergling/muta is a really annoying army to deal with if I am going Marines/Marauders/Medivacs or an exclusive tech (Thor/Tank or Thor/Marauder) army. Of course Terran players can counter it, but until you start seeing them go Hellions/Thors you should stick with Zergling/Mutalisk. If they are going heavy on the marines then banelings/roaches is the way to go.

As zerg it's all about having 1 more base than your opponent and spreading creep. Your army is more mobile and can be reinforced much faster than the other races (assuming you pay attention to your queens) so use that to your advantage. Harassing the fuck out of your opponents expansions and keeping their army contained in their base should be your top priority. Mobility is huge in this game so exploit the fact that Mutalisks are literally the best hit 'n' run unit available. You will pretty much force your opponent into building base defense which ends up being minerals they can't spend on their army.

It's not a bad idea to invest in some spine crawlers in your expansions either to ward of hellion harass.

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:35 am

I was playing as Random at the time. I have decent build orders for Terran and Protoss but Zerg seems to be very macro heavy. I didn't manage my Queens well and thus had fewer units than I should have.

Protoss I think is the simplest of the 3. Although their tier 1 units are underwhelming vs marauders, Protoss economy is easier to manage and buff to the point where you can simply produce more stalkers than a Terran can Marauders in the early game. I won several games with a simple 4 gate rush.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:06 am

Why do I keep looking at this thread when I have no idea what anybody is talking about?

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:21 am

Had 1 "good" game last night. Protoss vs Zerg. He started with roaches so I went Void Rays which caused him to then spam Hydralisks. He actually had me on the ropes and was attacking my base with the Hydras and even took out both of my Starports. I had to kill his last Hydra with my probes. I then massed the few units I had and chronoboosted my robotics facility to get some immortals as quickly as possible. I counterpushed and somehow broke through his base defenses and won it.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:46 am

Achievements are literally the most retarded thing ever but trying to unlock the "Win a 7v1 Insane AI FFA" sounded like a fun challenge! I completed this yesterday and unlocked the Orlan portrait, hooray!

Here's how you win:

+ Play on the map Abyss
+ Pick Terran as your race (I honestly don't think any of the other races could work)
+ Set all the AI races to Zerg
+ Crank out SCVs, a refinery, and an engineering bay as soon as possible.
+ Build a command center at your choke as soon as possible
+ Turn your CC into a planetary fortress
+ The choke is a little wide, so you'll need two CCs. Turn the other one into a PF as well
+ Put 6 SCVs nearby with auto-repair turned on.
+ Tech to battlecruisers. Nothing can get in your base at this point.

You will need to take your natural expansion at some point, to do this without getting destroyed:

+ Build three command centers in your base (do not leave the confines of your little base)
+ Produce some SCVs, load them up in the CCs. Lift them off and leave your base.
+ Block the really wide choke of your expansion with the CCs. Unload the SCVs beforehand.
+ When you land the CCs immediately turn them into PFs. Set the SCVs to auto-repair
+ You will be attacked while the CCs are upgraded. Make sure the SCVs are repairing them. Bring some battlecruisers to help defend.
+ Once you have blocked your expansions choke, you can easily build two dozens battlecruisers and steamroll all the zerg armies. You win! Conrgrats!

Good times.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:49 am

Riot, you're awesome, but you are so laughably bad at RTS games that I think it's charming.

My advice? Watch some Youtubes or go to sc2casts.com to help improve your game by watching the pros. Just remember, the faster you click the better you are.

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:49 am

Hello everyone! This M to the erk Merk here...

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:55 am

Rahhhh H to the usky Husky rahhhhhhh

Yeah on second thought Youtubes are kind of questionable on their skill building merits. Riot watch Day[9]'s daily SC2 cast, they are a lot more informative.

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:19 am

HDstarcraft on youtube has some good tutorials. I agree though that just watching pro games isn't that helpful...although it is entertaining. The 3M + FE tutorial that HD does gives quite a bit of good information, I especially liked his system for unit assigning.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:37 am

That sounds interesting! I haven't seen that one, do you have a link?

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:27 am

I'm at work so no youtube at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft

That's his user page though. The tutorial is pretty recent. I watched it maybe a week ago or so.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Merk wrote:Achievements are literally the most retarded thing ever but trying to unlock the "Win a 7v1 Insane AI FFA" sounded like a fun challenge! I completed this yesterday and unlocked the Orlan portrait, hooray!

Here's how you win:

+ Play on the map Abyss
+ Pick Terran as your race (I honestly don't think any of the other races could work)
+ Set all the AI races to Zerg
+ Crank out SCVs, a refinery, and an engineering bay as soon as possible.
+ Build a command center at your choke as soon as possible
+ Turn your CC into a planetary fortress
+ The choke is a little wide, so you'll need two CCs. Turn the other one into a PF as well
+ Put 6 SCVs nearby with auto-repair turned on.
+ Tech to battlecruisers. Nothing can get in your base at this point.

You will need to take your natural expansion at some point, to do this without getting destroyed:

+ Build three command centers in your base (do not leave the confines of your little base)
+ Produce some SCVs, load them up in the CCs. Lift them off and leave your base.
+ Block the really wide choke of your expansion with the CCs. Unload the SCVs beforehand.
+ When you land the CCs immediately turn them into PFs. Set the SCVs to auto-repair
+ You will be attacked while the CCs are upgraded. Make sure the SCVs are repairing them. Bring some battlecruisers to help defend.
+ Once you have blocked your expansions choke, you can easily build two dozens battlecruisers and steamroll all the zerg armies. You win! Conrgrats!

Good times.

I tried this and I think I royally fucked up the placement or you just got lucky. Spawned at top left, there were two roach sized holes in the wall-in when I used the PF block strat. Needless to say my SCVS got roasted.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.