Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Recommend potter some hot games

Post by Potter » Mon May 17, 2010 5:22 pm

LOL

as an update, I've been playing some just cause 2, half life 2 for the 10th time, some psychonauts, and dead space for the second time. My main monitor is now a 12 foot wide 1920x1080 projection screen, so recommend me stuff that looks really cool but doesnt suck. Installed and tried far cry 2, turned it off within 10 minutes. What a garbage game!
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue May 18, 2010 12:08 am

Yeah Farcry 2 was pretty lame. I think I played like 2 missions and quit.

You should definitely check out F.E.A.R. like I said before. Also Portal is free on steam right now if you haven't played it. If you can get into the RPG's check out Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue May 18, 2010 12:51 am

played fear and portal back in the day, great games. Was never really into the rpg genre I guess just because I was never exposed to it, I have nothing against it. I'm thinking mass effect might be a good game to give it a try, so I'll probably do that!
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue May 18, 2010 12:52 am

also anyone have the word on bioshock 2? is it worth getting?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue May 18, 2010 9:47 am

I've heard that it was underwhelming but I think the FPS genre is saturated and gimmicky as fuck soooooooooo my opinion is probably bunk.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 am

Potter wrote:also anyone have the word on bioshock 2? is it worth getting?
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/03/ze ... ioshock-2/

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue May 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Apparently Red Dead Redemption is getting crazy reviews. It's like GTA in the old west, but better and less monotonous. I never played the first one, or even GTA4, but this game apparently just does everything right.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... redemption

also Alan Wake comes out today, which looked like a really good spooky survival action game when I saw videos last year. If you're interested in great visuals and atmosphere for your setup, Alan Wake seems like a good choice judging from what I've seen. it's made by the max payne guys too, which i never played but people seemed to enjoy

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... eview.html

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue May 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah I saw an Alan Wake gameplay vid a few days ago, looked really good, definitely gunna try and get it.

as for red dead, never heard of it, I'll have to check eet outtt.

so many gamezzzzz

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Riot wrote:Apparently Red Dead Redemption is getting crazy reviews. It's like GTA in the old west, but better and less monotonous. I never played the first one, or even GTA4, but this game apparently just does everything right.

also Alan Wake comes out today, which looked like a really good spooky survival action game when I saw videos last year. If you're interested in great visuals and atmosphere for your setup, Alan Wake seems like a good choice judging from what I've seen. it's made by the max payne guys too, which i never played but people seemed to enjoy

ffff both those games are console only

360 looks like ass

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue May 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Merk wrote:I've heard that it was underwhelming but I think the FPS genre is saturated and gimmicky as fuck soooooooooo my opinion is probably bunk.

for sure, I miss the days of half life, duke nukem, etc when it was about encompassing you in a world and story and letting you experience what the game makers wanted to convey

these days story has taken a backseat and is there as more of a way to let you shoot thingz and blow up stuff hugeliek

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue May 18, 2010 10:42 pm

Yeah they're console only, but didn't you just add me on 360 today? Consoles obviously look worse than a high end PC, but really, the best games on the systems are actually pretty impressive looking on a nice TV. They all play smoothly at 720p and 360 upscales it to 1080p and it looks nice. I guess the PS3 version of Red Dead (as usual for the system) runs below 720p at some weird resolution and has a lot more jaggies because multiplat games just get the shaft for poor ol' ps3.

There were plans for Alan Wake to come to PC a while ago, and it was touted to have like the best graphics ever made, but I guess maybe those plans were scrapped and it became a 360 exclusive. It looks good though, but I'm poor.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue May 18, 2010 11:26 pm

yeah i have a 360, but its faux-1080p blown up to 12 feet, it just looks like ass. you can easily tell that all 360 games have extremely low resolution textures, no antialiasing, and are not running at 1080p whatsoever. It's definitely playable, I just wish there was a pc version that I could just crank all the way up

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed May 19, 2010 1:07 am

Some other good PC games I'd recommend that are not shooters:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Grid 2
Syberia 1 & 2 (these are kinda older so the graphics aren't really adjustable, might look like poop but the story & atmosphere are what really make the games)
Braid
Trine

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed May 19, 2010 1:36 am

downloading syberia 1 and 2 and braid, both look supa hotttt

also sometihng im surprised nobody has mentioned that I've been meaning to play for a long time - dues ex!

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed May 19, 2010 9:59 am

Riot wrote:Apparently Red Dead Redemption is getting crazy reviews. It's like GTA in the old west, but better and less monotonous. I never played the first one, or even GTA4, but this game apparently just does everything right.

I've considered trying RDR, is there a demo anywhere? There are just so many good games coming out that my free time is fucking booked. SSF4, SC2, exercising to not be a fatty, eating to maintain my fat-dom, etc.