4th Style
5th Style
Like even numbers much?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Let's tierlist random videogames

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Yeah the even numbered styles were always better IMO. The songs were a lot more poppy and J-Core-ish and the notecharts were generally not God awful. After and including Gold though charts started to get bad and gimmicky. All the hard shit is either full of scale chords (1+3, 2+4, 3+5, 4+6, 5+7 in a nice little bullshit 170 bpm sixteenth note rhythm) or BPM changes that go anywhere from 800bpm to 50bpm. Troopers was definitely the worst about this which is why I rank it as low as I do.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Final Fantasy character hairstyles:

S tier:
Squall
Cloud
Vincent

A tier:
Terra
Lightning
Seymour
Sephiroth
Jecht
Zell
Snow

B tier:
Tidus
Vahn
Balthier

C tier (aka FF9 tier):
Zidane
Kuja
Cecil
Amarant

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:33 am

Yeah FF9 had shitty baby furry character design and it probably had the worst character design in the series outside of FFXI and FFIV. FF8 had the best characters IMO since they were relatively realistic and weren't walking stereotypes. In fact, I'd say FF8 had the best world and environment design in general - it sucks that the story sort of fell apart after the first disc.

Because it's inevitable--

Final Fantasy tiers:

-- S Tier --

-- A Tier --
4 (the DS remake definitely improved my opinion of the game)

-- B Tier --

-- No reason to play this game tier --

I never played FF3 so I don't know where to put it but it's probably between FF1 and FF9 in my list. As with any tierlist ranks within each tier could change on how I'm feeling but I would never say that 10 or 4 are better than 6, 7, or 8 I HOPE YOU LIKE MY NERDY DISCLAIMER.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 am

For all the hate that the Final Fantasy series gets lately, I still maintain it's one of the best series out there. It's still my personal favorite and I think every game is pretty darn good. And despite all the people that rag on XII, I think it's one of the best in the series. The writing, overall design aesthetic, and battle system were some of my favorites. The character development lacked, but at least the characters were pretty cool overall. Same with XIII; the overall aesthetic and battle systems were awesome, but character development was kinda iffy.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 am

Oh hey look it's a copy/paste of a Riot post from Chad! How novel!

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Post by ImuyumI » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Final Fantasy 8 was the worst FF ever. It actually made me quit play Final Fantasy for good. I have nothing good to say about it. Beyond that...

Presidents

God Tier
--------
George Washington
Abraham Lincoln

F Tier
--------
George Bush Jr.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Right, a lot of people hate on FF8 and I heartily support them expressing their opinion. The game has been pretty well dissected and people have given great reasons, while entirely subjective, to not like the game. Conversely, the internet hive mind has a huge boner for FF9 for whatever reason but I absolutely cannot get past the character design. I've tried more than once to replay through it but I can never get beyond that forest area in the beginning. I do know, I think I just like games that you can easily break and become uber-powerful like FF6, FF8, and Diablo II with a little bit of cleverness.

I took some class in college that went through all 41 presidents (this was before 2k8) and I am in no way qualified to provide expert commentary on presidents but I will say a president's legacy is largely a product of the times and how the government acted as a whole regardless of whatever input the president had.

Buchanan didn't really do shit in the face of a civil war so he's universally considered bottom tier. Abraham Lincoln was on the winning side of the Civil War so he's generally credited as re-uniting the country and thus, top tier. Washington led the colonies to independence so he's baller too. FDR luckily had a war that spurned a need for a huge work force that got us out of the depression and as a plus he was on the winning side of the war so he's considered a great president as well. America was doing really well in Clinton's time so he's generally considered upper-mid even though most people (in the short-term) remember him for Monica Lewinsky.

Dubya was pitted against an incredible act of terrorism, ubiquitous corporate scandal, questionable legislation, and a war for the sake of war. Obviously whether you think he was a good president depends on your politics, but from what I've read he was generally considered mid to low-mid tier if only for the fact stuff actually got done and changes were made (ie we didn't have gridlock which was oh so commonplace in the 90s). Time will tell how the changes that were made will affect us in the long-term, but the beauty of it all is that our legislature is flexible enough that we can make whatever changes we need to fit our needs at the time.

Obama (assuming he's a one term president) will probably just be known for being the first black guy in the Oval Office. He hasn't undone anything that was done in the Bush years, he's played along with big business instead of fighting them, and whatever health care bill he tried to pass was so limited in scope that effectively nothing changed for middle/upper-class voters.

If anything, a president is considered baller if we're in a war and we decisively win it.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:53 pm

IDK what this FFFFF thing is you guys are talking about, does it have something to do with this theme that mad matt made for ITG?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:27 pm

I generally follow the same opinion of Merk: FF8 was a great game and had strong characters and design. The story did get a little wonky towards the end, but I do kind of buy into the whole "Squall is dead" theory. The whole drawing magic system kind of sucked, but it wasn't particularly overpowering until endgame and up until Heaven and Hell islands it kept things relatively balanced. I agree about FF9; I think it's a fun game with a good story, but the character design is SO distracting. What were they thinking when they designed Queen Brahne? Ugh.

FF8 has the best music and cinematics of the series imo. The opening FMV is probably my favorite opening ever.

I disagree about FF13 and FF11, but hey WHATEVS. FFXI was a darn good MMO, you just don't really like MMOs so you judge it poorly. FFXIV was rushed and sloppy, but it's still relatively fun. I played FF3 halfway through on DS and didn't really like it, and the FF4 DS remake was okay. I'm playing FF4 The Complete Collection on PSP and like that much better than the DS remake; it's another redrawn HD update for the game, includes Interlude and The After Years for more story that I've never played yet.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:20 pm

DAVE101 wrote:Indiana ITG player Tier list:

God Tier:
Dave101

Seperate Tier between DAVE101 and everyone else:

TopTier:
Glarthbob
Hadooooken!

Mid Tier:
Joorz
The Tony-o

Low Tier:
CBAV
Amp
So yet another mention of me out of the blue regarding something I have no involvement in a sad attempt at attention and humor.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:33 am

Amp Divorax wrote:
DAVE101 wrote:Indiana ITG player Tier list:

God Tier:
Dave101

Seperate Tier between DAVE101 and everyone else:

TopTier:
Glarthbob
Hadooooken!

Mid Tier:
Joorz
The Tony-o

Low Tier:
CBAV
Amp
So yet another mention of me out of the blue regarding something I have no involvement in a sad attempt at attention and humor.
It's ok, Amp. I'll make room for you on the "No Tier" in this ranking. It's really quite comfortable here.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:42 am

amps posts make me cry tiers
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

ImuyumI

Post by ImuyumI » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:01 am

That was a tierable pun.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:11 pm

Bloody Tiers